ATR header fitment problem

TurboJim

JCC Racing Member Forum Tech Advisor
Staff member
To those who have ATR headers. I dropped my motor in today and started seeing how everything will fit and darned it if the crossover for these headers sits on my RS control arm so far that the joint isnt even straight. Their
instructions explicitly say if your motor mounts are bad they will hit, and while my motor mounts arent broken, the RS is original so I'm ASSuming its sagged. My question is this, those who have used Pauls poly mounts, can you give me an idea how far they raised the engine? I need 3/8" or so and even then I suspect I'll be eating bushings like crazy so have decided to use the aluminum bushings in the upper arms. If need be I will squish that section of the crossover as needed (squish so inside area doesnt change...not dimple) but I need to get a handle on where I stand so I can order MORE crap :)

Attached is a pic with an outline of where the pipe sits in relation to the control arm

While on the subject, since Paul is in the process of moving and may be
delayed getting orders out, does anyone sell his mounts? I wanna get this stuff going quick so I dont miss another year of driving my car.

The downpipe is another story, but I'll see how that works out......

Attachments

• headerfit.jpg
    headerfit.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 126
Its normal that they don't fit. Get out the hammer and dent the crossover about 1/4" at least. I dont think mounts are going to help. If they raise the engine the dp will hit the heater a/c box.

Mounts

Jim give me a call if you are ready for mounts we have a batch going together right now. We are currently shipping back orders and should have some available over the next week or two.. I wouldn't wait to long though things are jumpin' you can reserve them to be picked up at the Nat's also to save shipping.

ATR headers have always needed some "adjustment" to make them fit, not sure if the mount will cure it or not..

I went through this about 10 years ago, according to ATR they have NEVER heard of this problem before!

Mine touch the control arm also with the poly mounts. My solution is to install UB machine upper control arms. The bushings are steel and MUCH smaller than the stockers.

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
I went through this about 10 years ago, according to ATR they have NEVER heard of this problem before!
Add me to that list as well...............

Gotta love this place! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: (Jim's photo link).

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Logged in user: S10xGN [logout]

Originally posted by S10xGN
Gotta love this place! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: (Jim's photo link).

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Logged in user: S10xGN [logout]

My says the same thing????

You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Logged in user: petesgn [logout]

Forgotten your password?

Why ??

I have the poly motor mounts with ATR headers and ATR 3" DP. Everything is a little tight, but nothing touches. I would suggest getting the mounts before beating anything. I actually have never had fitment problems with my ATR systems.

Derrick

Not lookin good...

"Word" has it, they are now working on a "4 to 6 week" delivery schedule.. At least that's what the sign in the office said...
A report off the "mocissan telegraph" tells us that they are in serious financial problems. I guess if you have a $hitty response to the customers on the fones, pooly fitting parts, pi$$poor delivery, etc, then those things happen...Shades of CAS??

The original owner could be a real P$%^k when he wanted to be, but he had nice parts that fit. The new bunch could care less.
Another BUICK vendor down the tubes??? Time will tell.:rolleyes:

???????????

Originally posted by MSDGN
Chuck...I guess I missed it but what vendor are you talking about

The thread is concerning ATR.. That was where my comments were directed..Sorry, I wasn't very specific...:D

I have ATR headers with HR Parts N Stuff mounts. ZERO issues. Try mounts before using a hammer to persuade those headers.

There actually was another vendor(Paul - HrParts) mentioned in this thread so I wasn't sure...as for ATR I'm not going to take sides but all I can say is I've had zero problems with them since I bought my first part from them in 1991...I haven't bought a lot of things from them but the parts I did get quality has been excellent...especially their exhaust stuff...I have their headers on both my cars and fitment is perfect...

I've sold and installed many sets of the ATR headers, I won't say they are always perfect, but I will say they are the best out there. Most of the time, stuff fits very well, I've learned when it doesn't, I do what I have to, check out what they have outlined to check, then I modify as needed. Sometimes it may be a dimple here or there, usually not too much effort. But there have been a few times where I cut and welded, usually when we were using other custom parts. But, I do have an advantage over most, like a tig welder and a son who is very good with it!!! Sometimes ATR needs to hear it more vocally from the end user if something needs to be changed, hopefully they will hear it. I have seen an improvement since George has taken over, I have noticed ATR is once again going to events and trying to support our community more than they have in many years. I recently ordered 3-4 sets of headers and 6 DP's and received everything within a week!! Are they perfect, no, but I still believe they are the best availible.

I'm gettin' the same message about not having permission to view the pics,,,,,,,what's up with that?

Im glad you had better luck than I did.
I bent over backwards and did everything they asked of me and in the end they left me holding the bag.