ATR BAR....is it streetable???

F

Fast87V6

Opinions please....:D

Anybody run it on the street all the time??? Ive heard it causes the rear end to bind....what exactly does that mean????

Thanks!!!!!!!

I don't notice any bind, but with a front sway bar, the car surely does want to oversteer....I have all reinforced control arms & bushings and the ride is not exactly Buick, but tolerable..

if you do not drag race your car, don't bother with the bigger bar.....the main advantage is to compensate for the lack of a front bar and improve traction at the strip (you don't need air bags with the big bar)

I think about $120, but I got it from a fellow that did not like the oversteer (chromed even) I think there are cheaper ones out there than ATR

They do inhibit full travel of the rear suspension thus the term "bind". The ATR bar is so large that it will cause the oversteer when used with the stock bar as was previously mentioned. So, it really is for drag race type usage.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
They do inhibit full travel of the rear suspension thus the term "bind". The ATR bar is so large that it will cause the oversteer when used with the stock bar as was previously mentioned. So, it really is for drag race type usage.

OK...well then what is oversteer??????

Oversteer is when the rear wheels are carving a larger arc than the front wheels or the intended line of the turn. Rear "slip angles" exceed those of the front tires. This is often described as a "loose" condition, as the car feels like it may swap ends, or be "twitchy."

I think it is about a 1/4" too large for best handling but it works okay -it's a bit harsh on rough roads but fine on smooth roads.

I guess I will start an argument, BUT, removing the front bar increases oversteer.

A car with a front bar only understeers the worst. Handling packages from the factory add a rear bar to reduce the understeer created by the front bar. Removing this front bar increases the oversteer generated by the rear bar. The cure is to add a larger front bar.

The problem of the huge ATR bar is that it works against the springs and transfers load changes across the axle to the other wheel.

Yeah, I know Herb Adams likes huge sway bars but Herb does not have to drive on the same streets as some of us. :)

Stiffer springs and about a 1 1/8" rear bar makes for a better handling street car.....not talking about dragstrips, now. :)

I don't know anything about oversteer or understeer but I do know that I have the ATR bar on my car and I love the way my car drives and handles on the street.

I have never tried a hard launch at the track without the airbags so I am not sure what the bar by itself is really capable of. i did have a 1.70 60' time the other night without the bags and that was about a 2psi launch. That was on a 11.97 @ 111 run.

Added 9psi to the DS airbag and 22 to the PS bag and did about a 8+psi launch and 1.55 60' was the result. The other result was :eek: :eek: by alot of people watching me run :D

The ATR bar is great, but...

I love my ATR rear bar, but...
If you don't replace or box your LCA's, you'll be stuck with an annoying groan and future issues. I don't have the deep pockets to make this a full time drag car. Thus, I don't plan on major suspension tinkering for some time.

My car doesn't see much track time, but does see plenty of street time. The end result...a painful death of my lower control arms. If the groaning doesn't piss you off, then the sucky performance will.

The best advice that was ever given to me, was by Joel Webb and Russ Selkirk (two TB.com members)..."these cars are only as strong as their weakest link, so brace it before you race it."

The best advice that was ever given to me, was by Joel Webb and Russ Selkirk (two TB.com members)..."these cars are only as strong as their weakest link, so brace it before you race it."

Sounds like sound advice to me.:D

I'd kinda narrowed it down to the ATR bar or the one from Hotchkis (1 1/8??). Of course boxed lowers seem to be a must before adding either one. There's seemingly always some kind of road construction going on around here, & I drive them daily. It seems to me from previous discussions that the ATR piece has much better manners on smooth surfaces.

Guess the Hotchkis may be a better choice.

well i got a brand new ATR bar and Brand new HRPartsnStuff LCAs so i should be good to go!!!!!

i love my atr bar. i have metco uppers and lowers,airbags and the big bar, no front bar, variable rate springs and regular shocks. the car handles just fine and hooks great. got 1.60 foot times on bf drags with 1-2 pounds of boost at the line. car is 100% street driven and it rides smooth over ruff roads.

Bottom line usage is this
Primary drag race/street with no concern for balanced handling would be the ATR bar

Street/autocross/maximum balance and handling stock or 1 1/8" bar.