ATK Engines

87T-Type

Please do not be harsh, I am just looking for an overall feel for this engine company. I am trying to keep my car stock, and trying to stay on the cheaper side of things. They have a GN Long block for 1700.00 bucks and I have asked them sevaral times if it has the GN internals and they have said over and over, yes. It is a stock GN motor. Anyone have good or back experiences with this company? I have seen some threads on the warranty issues. I do not plan on over boosting this engine at all, just looking for a good replacement stock engine!

Thanks.

I ran one in my OLDS. It held up well, that was carbed turbo running low 14's.

I did lose the thrust bearings in it twice, but I had over 500 passes down the ¼ mile when that happened.

.060 over cylinder walls
Various micmatched rod bolts, etc.
I ran 2 of them years ago. Both lasted about a year in my (then) mostly stock Buick.
I wouldn't recommend it.

I would think about it twice , I don't know the ATK company but I used Grooms engines for the same reason in the past , to save money and:rolleyes: ........I needed new motor after 500 mls :mad: , however mine was level 3 and the girdle was instaled wrong , wiped out mains #2 and#4 in a month , some people had good luck with regular rebuilds from them but my $3500 loss will keep me from doing this again for ever , I would contact one of engine builders from this forum and have them rebuild your motor ,that is just my opinion ;)

I ran one in my OLDS. It held up well, that was carbed turbo running low 14's.

I did lose the thrust bearings in it twice, but I had over 500 passes down the ¼ mile when that happened.

I bought my engine over 10 years ago, So maybe they are not the same quality as they use to be.

The ATK I bought only has around 5k-10k miles or so. We inspected the internals of the motor and everything was torqued properly and there were no mismatched parts other than the cam was of unknown origin. Motor is bored .040 over. Oil pressure at hot idle has never dropped below25-26psi. I run my DIY alcohol injection and at least 25-27 lbs boost at all times.I haven't put a ton of miles on it since restoration but all the vital signs/sounds of the motor have remained unchanged. I think the machining was good on mine. Pistons looked identical to factory originals as far as the way they were constructed in the area of the pins ,etc. Maybe you can't judge metallurgy by just looking but the design was the same. I've been lucky so far-hope I didn't speak too soon.;)

The ATK I bought only has around 5k-10k miles or so. We inspected the internals of the motor and everything was torqued properly and there were no mismatched parts other than the cam was of unknown origin. Motor is bored .040 over. Oil pressure at hot idle has never dropped below25-26psi. I run my DIY alcohol injection and at least 25-27 lbs boost at all times.I haven't put a ton of miles on it since restoration but all the vital signs/sounds of the motor have remained unchanged. I think the machining was good on mine. Pistons looked identical to factory originals as far as the way they were constructed in the area of the pins ,etc. Maybe you can't judge metallurgy by just looking but the design was the same. I've been lucky so far-hope I didn't speak too soon.;)
looks like wherever you go you will get the same responses , some people doing ok! some are in hell !!!!:mad: cheep and lasting performance don't match..you may get lucky ? may NOT ! if you are looking to keep it stock why not just buy used stock motor , what is wrong with your motor anyway ?

I would love to just rebuild my engine, problem is when it went it went big time! Threw a rod out the side of the block and out the oil pan. It is a total loss! :frown: The top end is still good, I replaced the pack, wires, plugs, pcv, alternator, belt tensioner, and a few other odds and ends. So I was hoping to just swap all that stuff with the ATK long block and be up and running in the shortest amount of time.

Have you checked some of the supporting vendors ? Sometimes they have good used engines.

One other good thing about ATK, If the engine is in stock you can have it the following day. (with mine I did).

What part of the country are you from ?

Yes, the girl on the line told me that I could have it by the next day, they have them in stock in thier warehouse in Dallas and I am in NJ. I was thinking the used engine route too, but when I really thought about it, if the ATK works out well, its a brand new engine, and not one with some wear and tear already. That was my thinking anyway.

Jack Cotton had one "used" for sale on his web site.
"http://cottonsperformance.com/products.asp?cat=25"

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to add my two cents about ATK Engines. I am one of the new owners of the company and happened across this message board. About 6 months ago ATK was purchased by their new CEO, who used to be the President and CEO of Kia Motors and had a long career with Volvo before that.

ATK has been in the remanufacturing business since 1936. Like any pro sports team, the company has had its up and down years, in our case it has been with warranty/quality issues on certain engine families. When the new owners came on board about a year ago, we were educated about these issues and have made it our goal to educate our customer about them and what has been done to resolve them.

With that being said, there is some hype going around the internet that is simply not true. Most of the people and/or posts that you read in regards to poor experience with the company are customers that havent dealt with the company in quite some time and are reporting facts that simply arent true (the ole' saying that there are 2 sides to every story). ATK has always been setting the ground in this industry--we were the first to have a 3 year unlimited mileage new car style warranty on our crate engines. Another industry first was launched in 2003 with the Valued Installer Program (VIP Program) which is essentially a "no fault/no hassle" warranty on all of our engines. In addition, we were the first reman company to offer the Gold Seal Warranty, which provides nationwide towing and a rental car should you have a problem.

Not many people realize it, but we sell over 40,000 remanufactured engines and transmissions per year, and to keep our ISO 14001 AND TS19649 (highest in the industry) quality rating we have quality control metrics on warranty and failure rates, and I can assure you that they are far below industry average. Whats my point? Although there may have been bumps in the road in the past, we pay our claims and we stand behind our product. This is not a small time company that you are dealing with, and unlike most of the botique "reman" companies out there that have put a bad taste in your mouth, we will be around for another 70 years to serve you. There is a reason that ATK won the 2007 Customer Service of the Year award from Frost & Sullivan.

We are not the cheapest engine out there, nor are we the most expensive. Our engines are built with 100% new internals and most are hot run tested before delivery, a claim that many companies make yet few deliver on. We even provide you a birth certificate with your engine that showed it had good vital signs before it ended up in your car. Our quality stands up to and in most cases exceeds anyone in the industry. Again, when you sell 40,000 engines a year there are bound to be a handful of bad apples in the pack. Can you imagine if all of our satisfied customers went online to post? There would be over 1 million forum entries!

Sorry for the long winded explination, but as an owner of a terrific company that employs over 500 passionate and dedicated people I felt compelled to educate you honestly and fairly about our product. Should you have further questions, please visit our website or call us toll free at 800-421-3746.

Adam Butterfield
ATK North America

"Sorry for the long winded explination, but as an owner of a terrific company that employs over 500 passionate and dedicated people I felt compelled to educate you honestly and fairly about our product. Should you have further questions, please visit our website or call us toll free at 800-421-3746.

Adam Butterfield
ATK North America"

Adam great that you stepped up to the mic with your companys info

Now since you are in the spotlight how about some details on exactly what your engine specs are? ..........

What kinda of pistons?
Max overbore?
Rolled filet crank reused in the build?
Max turn on cranks?
2 dot rods?
Ring gap?
Timing chain used?

1986-87 Buick Regal, T type, Turbo T, Grand National with 3.8 Liter Turbo v62 vin#7 engine code LC2.

Please no safe answers like "stock replacement"

Hello Turbo Nasty-
Thanks for the questions. Below is my best attempt at answering them, however I cant guarantee that I will be able to keep responding on your forum as I do have a job to do. If you need more help than this please call us.

What kinda of pistons? Silvolite Hyperutectic 1735H pistons

Max overbore? depends on the donor core, we will reman up to .060 over--like i said all depends on the donor block and varies with each engine.

Rolled filet crank reused in the build? Most of the time it is a rolled crank, however this cannot be guaranteed due to parts availability.

Max turn on cranks? max is .020

2 dot rods? OEM rods (GM)

Ring gap? Question is way over my head, that would be something the plant would have to answer.

Timing chain used? All New Chain, Cloyes or SA Gear with Felpro Gaskets

Again, I am not a tech nor do I claim to be. As I said in my original post, for questions about these engines please call us at 800-421-3746 and we will be happy to help you as best we can as I cannot guarantee that I will be on this forum enough to answer specific questions.

Adam

Hello Turbo Nasty-
Thanks for the questions. Below is my best attempt at answering them, however I cant guarantee that I will be able to keep responding on your forum as I do have a job to do. If you need more help than this please call us.

What kinda of pistons? Silvolite Hyperutectic 1735H pistons
Myself , I don't know who to believe ,I talked to Jack Cotton about rebuilding my motor after bad Grooms engine experience and I remember Jack saying he uses Hyperutectic pistons but I end up going with Weber Racing to build my motor and Brian could NOT believe anybody would put anything but FORGED pistons in our engines which can experience some kind of detonation issued a lot , same with crank , I have heard some people use regular -none turbo -crank and go into 9's and as long as there is no detonation it's ok , anybody else has a opinion on that ?:confused:

Had to test cause I was getting an oops message. I know this is a post from 2008 about ATK engines but I have been using one since 2008 and thought i’d give an update. I can’t tell you how many miles I have on the motor but since 2008 I have used my GN as a daily driver at times and I never put it away for any extended time. If I had to guess I’d say at least 30,000 mile. It could even be significantly more. I just don’t remember the odometer reading at the time I put this engine in and now I have a gnu styleq dash that I made installed. I did blow 1 head gasket on the driver side 4 or 5 years ago but that is the only problem I have ever had with this motor. As my original post said I typically run about 25 lbs boost with alcohol injection of my own design. I recently put in an Autozone ignition module and a colder spark plug. I now get absolutely no knock where before I would get occasional knock depending upon how I might have mashed the go pedal. I used NGK plugs that were recommended by a few people on one of the Buick forums and I think they really help with detonation substantially.
But I am happy with this .40 over engine still and I guess ATK did a good job on this one. I don’t even know if ATK is even doing these 109 blocks still but I thought I’d just give a update on a really old post.

Thank you for updating the thread! Could be a useful data point for other members, and give people the ability to add another engine builder to their list.

They want 10K for an engine these days. Plenty of reputable builders here on the board that will build a stout engine, not just a stocker, for that kind of coin.