At what HP/TQ point do you start to worry about the bottom end?

Irid

Aside from beating up on the motor through detonation, at what point do you really start to worry about the bottom end? I've been looking through the archives and haven't really found anything compiled on the subject.

It would be nice to have a blueprint of the different bottom end failure scenarios. I.e. the crank fails at ___TQ, or doesn't oil properly above ___ RPM, the rods are good for ___RPM, the main caps are good for ___TQ, etc.

I know for me, it would be helpfull in understanding the reality of different recipies (especially bolt-on versus built-motor) and their streetability/reliability.

Good question! I know past mid 11's things get a little confusing! I put caps on all my motors. I had a girdle on the last one. I have never actually broke a cap or block but it seems like everything is at max in the 600 HP level. If you go 11.1-11.2 it will probably last fine in the 500-550 HP range. I do things as a safety net more than anything.

at around 600 range now and going for bust...should be finding out soon ..:D

my bottom end is factory stock (87 model) pistons, rods.crank and block other than replaced rings and bearings.....no machine work.