Asc Sunroof

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I have tried a search on this subject and have not found the answer I seek...

Does anyone have any definitive info on the headliner assembly for the ASC sunroof? The headliner is a little saggy but when I went to remove it there is literally nothing under the cloth (ie: no backer board). It looks as if the cloth was just stretched and glued to the outside edges. This can't be right:confused:

BTW this car is untouched factory stock.

Any ideas?

i stripped 2 astroroof cars i have a third i am driving and looked at a fourth 2 days ago and everyone of them had the board underneath the foamy headliner material.

There is a backing that the cloth is glued to . you have to pull all plastic interior trim and rubber seal that goes around inside of headliner that holds it to sunroof assembly. get a hold of brian at gbodyparts. he sells an abs plastic headliner that will never sag again. I have an astro top on my car also . I almost welded the roof shut on my car. until i found that they are a rare option. they should beat the guy that designed this contraption:biggrin: while your in there run the rear drain hoses all the way down to rear quarter . it will save you a ton of money down the road. unless your rear floors and quarters are rotted already. mine were. all fixed now. good luck

I have tried a search on this subject and have not found the answer I seek...

Does anyone have any definitive info on the headliner assembly for the ASC sunroof? The headliner is a little saggy but when I went to remove it there is literally nothing under the cloth (ie: no backer board). It looks as if the cloth was just stretched and glued to the outside edges. This can't be right:confused:

BTW this car is untouched factory stock.

Any ideas?

I have been in the process of helping my brother rebuild his 87 GN with an ASC sunroof. He tore his headliner out because it looked horrible and was sagging down, I did notice that in the rear there was nothing up there under the liner and around the actual sunroof there was pieces of headliner board, but it did look like a botched job, I guess this is the way ASC did these sunroofs. His seal around his glass was not so tight and he wanted spare parts so about a year ago he posted on gnttype in the turbo trader section that he was looking for a complete ASC setup and someone actually had removed one as a spare for thier car that they had already sold so he got lucky and has a spare.

I know the astroroof has a backer board under it. I have one of those.

However, the ASC Sunroof seems to be sans backerboard...

Anyone have any pics?

Nope! The whole thing. I pulled the side trim on the passenger side yesterday. The material is literally glued to the metal roof. There is no backer board.

If I run my hands along the ceiling, I can feel all kinds of crap underneath the cloth. It is not smooth like the feeling fo the backeboard with material with on it.

Nope! The whole thing. I pulled the side trim on the passenger side yesterday. The material is literally glued to the metal roof. There is no backer board.

If I run my hands along the ceiling, I can feel all kinds of crap underneath the cloth. It is not smooth like the feeling fo the backeboard with material with on it.

My brother has been wondering if the Gbody parts sunroof headliner board will work with minor modification? If so he wants to go that route.

My brother has been wondering if the Gbody parts sunroof headliner board will work with minor modification?

ASC modified the hard top headliner. There is no board between the front & the glass itself.
The material is just stretched. There is a mounting board for the switch & that is about it.
I parted out about 10 of these cars with that set up. It will leak & destroy a Gbody.

Bweavy:::

Is there supposed to be any headliner board in the rear above the rear bench?

BTW, what exactly do you mean when you say "it will leak and destroy a gboday"- The sunroof, or the rest of the assembly? AS far as I can tell the roof is perfectly sealed and tight. No evidence of leaks.

All I'm looking to do is "correct" the sagging headliner. Any suggestions?

I don't know what to tell you but if all else fails there's the ASC shop in San Diego off Miramar Rd. Maybe they've got some kind of fix for that.

Bweavy:::

Is there supposed to be any headliner board in the rear above the rear bench?

BTW, what exactly do you mean when you say "it will leak and destroy a gboday"- The sunroof, or the rest of the assembly? AS far as I can tell the roof is perfectly sealed and tight. No evidence of leaks.

All I'm looking to do is "correct" the sagging headliner. Any suggestions?

Every one we have had has leaked. Maybe install error or just over used. That is why we ended up parting the car out.Normally the old hard top board is there from the center to the back part of the roof.
They were installed in a lot of Gbodies. I have an 87 aero coupe here with 65K the rear floors are gone. No rust outside of the car & original paint.

I just went and looked at a GNX with an ASC Sunroof. It had the ASC switch but it had a different "handle"- mine is a plastic piece that attaches to the sunscreen. This one had an indented plastic handle imbedded into the sunscreen and it had the headliner assembly like the Astroroof.

This is becoming a real PITA.:mad:

Different roof. The astro is factory; the ASC was a dealer installed item I believe.

I have a astroroof car that i installed a gbody headliner board in. If it was not for this plastic board i would be up the creek with no headliner at all. The original board i destroyed trying to remove it. The abs moonroof board that Brian sells fits perfect and i love it. The only pain installing it was getting that metal seal around the opening that holds the board up tight to the ceiling. The ONLY reason my roof has not rusted out is because it is a garage kept car. there is no rust protection at all in this unit so when the roof leaks a little it rust. You need to stop any major leaks in this area or the car will be destroyed.:mad: