asc astroroof headliner question

Mack V

Can someone tell me if the asc astroroof cars had a headliner board with them. I pulled mine down years ago (ashamed to admit how long) and it didn't have a headliner board that the fabric would have been glued to. What are my options?
Thanks in advance.

Last year i removed my old headliner it did not have a board...the material was glued to the roof...hope this helps

hello; I've been cumming to this site for a while and besides myself your the first to talk about the ASC moonroof. I need a headliner my self. I called HighwayStars asking questions on there moonroof headliner witch is for a stock roof and is not cardboard. Maybe you could do the same with better measuring and communication we both could learn something as I think the not carboard liner is the way to go.
One problem is to ship one here is alot because of it's size.
IBBY

hello; I've been cumming to this site for a while and besides myself your the first to talk about the ASC moonroof. I need a headliner my self. I called HighwayStars asking questions on there moonroof headliner witch is for a stock roof and is not cardboard. Maybe you could do the same with better measuring and communication we both could learn something as I think the not carboard liner is the way to go.
One problem is to ship one here is alot because of it's size.
IBBY

I got my headliner at a fabric shop, what i did was just put up the headliner like a regular hard top then trimmed out the hole for the sunroof...also i just glued the fabric to the roof with no board...make sure you use 3m glue...hth

I too have an Asc roof and there have been a few posts about this over the years. I seems that they took a razor knife and cut around the perimeter of the roof to remove the inside section. Then they simply pulled the material tight. They taped the wires to the roof, but the tape went bad on mine years ago, then dropped down on the headliner. You can't use a headliner board from a factory car. A good upholstery guy can fix it. Curious; do you guys have any paperwork or an ASC sticker anywhere on the car? I have niether.

hello; The ASC talk has not been answerin any questions for me. The question is would a stock set up aftermarket head liner (non cardboard) fit our ASC roof? I called HighwayStars to try and figure it out but I never went thru with it. Maybe others could call and talk dimensions with them.
My TB has a ASC sticker in the glove box and I have paper work for the install.
IBBY

In a post from a couple of years ago a guy had tried the stock moon roof headliner board and it def did not work and I seem to remember that there was a problem with the non moon roof board not working for some reason, cant remember why. I need mine fixed too, maybe we can figure out something.

When you guys have it figure out am in for one too ,my car is kinda naked right noe with out a headliner.

thx

I have answers

They may not be the best but they're answers nevertheless...

So, here goes...

1. I have an 86 ttype with the ASC roof. It has the sticker in the glovebox as well as the ASC logo power switch.

2. The ASC-roofed cars basically started as a hardtop. The headliner was cut (not removed from under the plastic trim) Edges were still left under the plastic. (At least on my car they were)

3. Material was stretched and glued (not exactly sure how- but I think it was a crappy hack job to begin with). Wires were taped up to the roof.

4. Custom metal brackets were used to hold the sunroof assembly to the roof. Check your assembly for markings. Mine if from a Ford! :eek:

5. A conventional hardtop headliner will not fit due to the additional 2.5" (give or take) thickness of the sunroof unit.

6. An ABS plastic unit for a HARDTOP will not work either. (again for the same reasons as above).

7. My solution was to find a similar car with a sunroof (actually happened as a fluke- was leaving yard and saw a 4 door Buick with a sunroof and the dimensions looked pretty close.- Had to drive home 2hrs, and return the next day for my whopping $4 dollar purchase in my SUV so that I could fit the unit in without damaging it.)

8. I had the headliner covered in the correct material and when I went to put it in I discovered that the opening on my ASC roof was smaller than the hole in the headliner by a few inches all the way around. (Never ends :mad:)
And it was a little long in the front (very minor)

9. Since the headliner had the proper size (for the most part), we trimmed it to fit in the edges and then had it re-wrapped again but this time with the hole not cut. When we did the test fit we trimmed around the hole and used the rubber trim lace to pinch the material firmly all the way around. I also think the hole for the dome light was a bit off but we fixed that too.

This is 100 times better than when it was done by ASC. It is not a perfect solution but it's what I had to come up with to get this thing covered. I think it looks pretty darned good if I do say so. :cool:

There is a possibility that the ABS unit made SPECIFICALLY for the Astroroofs could work- as you have to cut your own hole- and account has already been taken for the depth of the actual sunroof unit however, I cannot confirm this as I did not go that route.

Hope this helps a little.