Are the RRA guns that particular? Furrin Ammo...

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Got some Priv Partisan 7.62x51 ammo for my Rock River LAR-08 and cannot get a single cart to feed correctly. When the bolt racks forward, it won't completely close, which locks up the charge handle and leaves me to butt-slam the gun while pulling on the charging handle to remove the "stuck" round. I broke the gun down and the rounds drop into the chamber just fine. Miked the cases and the dims are all within spec, maybe a hair on the small end of tolerances. Strangely, every round I've touched has small burrs on the butts and necks of the brass. Disassembled the bolt and found the spring loaded pin opposite the ejector clip is very stiff, to the point where it could be strong enough to not allow the bolt to slam forward enough to lock. Rock River says it's the ammo, and it could be. Gonna try a bud's store bought stuff tomorrow. Anyone else experience this with a .308 auto or other foreign ammo?

TIA!

First off, RRA is good stuff...I've never used that brand ammo.
Try some different ammo, if you still have a FTF then I would check your head spacing. Be sure it's oiled well too. I build all my own rifles and leave the HS on the big end. New brass, reload brass, steel case Russian, lake city, AE, Federal.... they eat em all up no problems.
Keep us updated.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I know you're a bit south of me but if you go to DFW bring it with you and I'll take a look at it Russ. I put more than my fair share of FN-FAL together and had several feed issues I had to figure out. It may be something really simple and the nicks sound like an extractor issue.;)

Every one of the brass has rough edges at both ends, and most have never been in a mag, they look great but are rough. I have a lathe, thinking of sticking them in and sandpapering the ass-ends. Since the rounds drop into the chamber, the front is prolly good.

I was hoping for a gun that wasn't so particular on ammo, maybe this is a fluke. My bud wasn't home today so we didn't get to check it with his good ammo...

I know you're a bit south of me but if you go to DFW bring it with you and I'll take a look at it Russ. I put more than my fair share of FN-FAL together and had several feed issues I had to figure out. It may be something really simple and the nicks sound like an extractor issue.;)

If RRA makes the majors, I might could catch up with them in Houston. That's a 90 mile drive...

It should eat them like candy. That is a pretty popular plinking round. I would have it checked! How old is the gun? I am unhappy with RRA since the craze last year....

It should eat them like candy. That is a pretty popular plinking round. I would have it checked! How old is the gun? I am unhappy with RRA since the craze last year....

It's b.s. new, never been fired. Just trying to manually cycle some rounds through the gun and get familiar with the action. I've got to try some other ammo to be sure, but the ejection spring seems way too stiff. Stiff enough it won't allow the bolt to close completely (strictly my thoughts at this time). I've removed the firing pin while I'm trying to get this figured out.

What's the deal with RRA after last year, just overwhelmed and not keeping up? I was gonna order this LAR-08 from them but after being told of a one year+ wait I decided to buy from Tombstone Tactical as they had one in stock...

Do you mean the extractor Russ? The ejector is built into the lower.

The extractor (#37) removes from the side of the bolt, this "spring" (#40) in inside the bolt under a pin (#41) across the bolt face from the extractor. If you look directly at the face of the bolt, the pin (with said spring) is 180° across from the extractor clip. My guess is it forces the spent round to pivot away from the extractor and out the shoot.

LAR-08 Bolt.jpg

DAMN! Sad to say, the RRA does NOT like cheap ammo. Tried Remington and Winchester, both ran through A-OK. Anyone want to buy 500 rounds of Prvi Partisan .308 ? ? ? I paid $342 plus shipping...

If I had that much I'd seriously think about it Russ. See if you can find some LC and it might feed better.;)

If I had that much I'd seriously think about it Russ. See if you can find some LC and it might feed better.;)

Looking at it right now. Seems to be reloaded, but the name alone is golden. Wish I could find 20 rnds of each and do a check-see, either that or trade this finicky rifle for something more forgiving. BTW, took a mag loaded with (cheap) 5.56 SADU over and ran it through my bud's RRA AR-15 and it all shucked through just fine...

Well, the DS Arms mags are all worthless too, the only thing this will feed with is the factory plastic mag. Ahhhh, damn. I was really hoping for something that I could depend on when the sh!t hits the fan, maybe the 5.56 version will be a LOT more forgiving. I'm sure this RR gun will be a nice "bench shooter", but way too expensive for that...

Scored 1000 rounds of Wolf steel cased .308 for 54¢ per, no tax and no shipping. I took my LAR with me and was able to try chambering it first and that went good. This guy used to have a full-time ammo business and has scaled back to local sales only. He's personally shot over 5k rounds of Wolf without issue and will take it back if I don't like it. Tried my DS Arms mags and they choked again. My bud has a few surplus FAL mags which worked perfectly. Found pix over on FALFiles.com that show the lip mods that need to be done to the DS mags, which I will do ASAP.

dsa mags.jpg

Yee-haw! This fixed 4 out of 5. The first one I ended up removing too much material. Better than chucking them! :D

And I got an answer to the Prvi Partisan ammo today. A fellow came and bought it, he brought his Savage lever action and tried a few rounds. They all hung up a bit and he had to force them the last 1/4" of lever travel with a little more pressure than normal and once forced, they fed fine. After inspecting those rounds, we found that there was a tiny "bulge" at the neck where the bullet presses into the case which got "formed out" when forcibly chambered. This bulge could be felt with a fingernail on all the unchambered rounds. After the fact, I prolly could have saved them by spinning the rounds in my lathe against a file...

It is good to run the new stuff that you purchase--better to know now than later. If you have something that is "finicky" you can either run what it likes, or trade the weapon off for something that will eat anything...

Interesting... I have two LAR 8's and they both eat anything I feed them including about 500 rounds of Prvi so far. Must have been the lot of ammo you had based on the bulges you describe. One of them is my Avatar.