Are the forward and direct steels the same

MSDGN

I compared a forward steel and a direct steel and they appear to be identical in size other than the thickness. Can forward steels be used in the direct drum.

Not a good idea. The stock thickness direct steel is borderline adequate. I prefer to use as many .100" steels as I can and put them near the top of the stack. Also the pressure plate must be perfect and a large surface area apply ring should be used instead of the factory stamped piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you're saying about using thicker steels. The ones I took out were .078,.078,.090, .090,.090,.090 so was going to start with that since the trans was fine. If you use .100's you would still have to use some thinner ones. Do steels come in all sizes? If so where do I get them as I'm only seeing a few different sizes. Just an FYI, the only reason I took the trans apart is that the forward drum shaft snapped off. Rebuild only had about 3000 miles so everything looks like new. Only 3 of the direct steels had some black marks but figured I would just replace all of those. I guess my question is will forward steels fit in the direct drum?

They will for but like I said I wouldn't use them. They will hot spot very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know who built your trans but from the sound of that stack up, they set the direct clearance very, very loose. Check to make sure the pressure plate and steel apply ring are correct for the direct clutch. The forward apply ring fits but is thicker and will cost you some precious real estate if used in the direct. Maybe that's why they put some thin steels in it?

I compared a forward steel and a direct steel and they appear to be identical in size other than the thickness. Can forward steels be used in the direct drum.

Scott, the forward and direct steels are interchangeable. The steels are made in .060", .078", .090", .100" (.098" -.101") depending on manufacture.

I wouldn't use a forward steel in a 6 clutch direct stack up. They are thinner .078" compared to .090". With the 6 .080" friction setup, you will have a stack up that will require 3- 4 over sized .100" steels. I have used six at times. With a 7 .060" friction setup, you will use all .090" steels. If the pack ends up being too tight, a forward steel can be used to gain clearance but must be installed second from the bottom of the stack. A direct clutch pack will require the thickest steels at the top of the stack. In the early 90's these over sized steels were not readily available so I had plates surface ground to .045" as a spacer to get correct pack clearance. Your drum should be showing up tomorrow. Any questions give me a call.