Arcade Games In the House?

PNYKLR

Howdy all just curious - If I was to buy an arcade game to put in my house,what would I need ? Does it run on any special volts or outlet? - Thanks for the help

MAME

I built a MAME machine for my house. It has over 3000 of the old 70's, 80's and early 90's games on it. Cost me about $500 to build. MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.

Why have only one game when you can have em all? All the games are free to download and they are the original games.

WWW.MAMEWORLD.NET for more info how to build one.

LAter,
ToOLs

Cool dude but the cabinets are ALOT more then $500 how did you manage that one? want to build me one? ;)

Hey ToOLs,

Did you build a cabinet to coffee table one? I've long looked into getting an arcade game for my home but the price for one game was always a hard one to swallow. I never cared about the investment value, I just want to play games! Do you have pictures? How much did it cost and did you buy all the components from them too? I assume you can get everything from them with the exception of the computer, monitor and keyboard? I also assume you don't need too much computing power to run the older games?

Thanks for any info as well as the link!

No special voltage required. I have a Kiss Pinball, An F-14 Pinball, a pachinco machine, basketball challenge, foosball and have a slot machine on the way.

Joe

I have a Stargate machine. Just plugs right in.

MAME is nice but the there is no substitute for a real machine. I want to get a real Galaga Machine soon, right now I have a 1993 Data East Jurassic Park Pinball in awsome condition. I had a 1981 Bally Mystic for awhile but that was till I gave it to my dad for christmass about 2 years ago. (i think he plays his table more then I play mine lol)

I looked around a lot before I got my 1993 Simpsons pinball machine. They plug right into the wall, but for both video and pinball machines make sure that the cord is in good shape and the ground is still in place. I was amazed at how many I looked at that had the ground removed from the plug (I guess so people could plug them into regular outlets).

I want to get a video game next, but wasn't sure which one. MAME sounds like a cool idea.

Jim

Re: Another vote for MAME

Originally posted by dsa87gn
I'm an old school arcade game freak too. I, like tools have 100's
of the games. I didnt build a cabinet, but a desktop controller..

http://www.geocities.com/rogimeister/control.html

i think you have to cut -n- paste as goecities doesnt allow linking..
Defender and Zaxxon were my favorite games, DigDug and Centipede were also really cool. I had always said I would buy a Defender machine but the cost was too prohibitive and I was worried I'd eventually get tired of it if I had it in my basement. Very cool controller!

120 volts.I had Asteroids Deluxe and Karate champ but they are gone now.I do have EVERY current working MAME game though.There is a guy that sells ROMsets for like 10 bucks shipped,I got those,it was the easiest way to do it.

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
120 volts.I had Asteroids Deluxe and Karate champ but they are gone now.I do have EVERY current working MAME game though.There is a guy that sells ROMsets for like 10 bucks shipped,I got those,it was the easiest way to do it.
OK, I'll bite. What's a ROM set? Any web site that list information about this that I can read?

MAME

I bought an old 'Main Event', 4 player, wrestling game for 100 bucks, monitor worked fine. I gutted the whole thing put a Pentium 3, 500 mhz in the bottom of the cab, hooked it up to the monitor (had to rewire to make it work). Made my own 2 player control panel and was playing in a weeked. Its a little more complicated then you think but when your done and playing Mortal Kombat, DIg Dug, Galaga, Joust, Burger Time etc.. Its so worth the time you put into it.. People are blown away when the see it and play it.

Useful Links:

www.ultimarc.com
www.oscarcontrols.com
www.happcontrols.com
www.mame.dk
www.mameworld.net
www.ebay.com (search mame arcade)

Later,
ToOLs

TurboDiverArt,
Back in the day all the code for these games were written to ROM chips. WHat people did was extract the code from the old rom chips and made them playable on a PC via an emulator program. There are 1000's of ROMs (games) available for mame.

You can download the emulator and the ROMS now for free and play all the games on your pc without the cabinet.

~ToOLs

Originally posted by JayC
I have a Stargate machine. Just plugs right in.

I shoulda hi-jacked that bitch from you when you were here..

We shoulda had a contest - I know I woulda whupped you. :D

I traded profiency @ Stargate for my HS education. :D

As for the topic:

I worked on them for years, did conversions, etc.. Nothing special, the power supplies fail the most, they are cheap online from arcade parts suppliers..

My buddy has a bunch, he's starting a collection and has 3 of my favorites: Ms Pacman, Galaga (Anniversary Edition Combo Game, very cool!) and Adams Family Pinball. I love that game.

He's also got another pinball game, think it's called Speed, was a pretty big hit, and that bowling game that is sort of like shuffle board...long table w/a metal puck you slide..some bar rooms had em..

I really like the combo game and would buy it. He paid a grand, for that one which is not bad considering that Ms Pacman goes for 800 or so w/a decent cab/monitor...

My uncle has an OLD Pink Panther pinball game and some old pinball game, circa late 70s I think. The PP game is worth some money, the other game he's got is MIllipeede.. I should be able to pick these up when he moves within the next 2 yrs to FL..no room to take em..they just sit in the basement doing nothing..havent been played in YRS!

I have a Batman Forever Pinball, Twilight Zone Pinball, Red & Ted's Road Show Pinball, High Speed The Getaway 2 Pinball, and Pinball 2000 Revenge From MArs and Star Wars EP 1 and they all plug right into the wall but I do recomend putting some sort of good surge protection on it just in case because these machines are expensive to fix.