Apples to Apples - PT-51 versus 6262

Mile Hi GN

I know there is light years of technology between them, but pure dimensions.

Check me here:
PT-51 compressor 2.29" = 58 MM
PT-51 Turbine 2.795" = 70 MM

Using modern labeling, a PT-51 is a 5870. Smaller comressor diameter but larger turbine diameter than a 6262

Same drill - TE-44
TE-44 compressor 2.29" = 58mm
TE-44 Turbine 2.559" = 65mm

TE-44 = 5865

The point, if I'm spooling a 51 just fine, then the 6262 would not be too large for my high-altitude combination matched with a 9.5 NLU from Dusty.

Thanks

That's not an even close comparison. The t04e 60 trim compressor used in the pt51 craps out around 50-55lbs/min. The t350 turbine has been wayyy over that. The t350 turbine flows more than a 76 p trim in high shaft speed situations too. But in reality it's a complete mismatch of wheels with the compressor potential being at least 25% less than the turbine. The t350 needs quite a bit more rpm to get it going too. The 6262 has a lot more potential with the compressor flowing somewhere between 75 and 78lbs/min. I don't know about the turbine since tmk no one has run it to the limit here but it appears to be good to at least 65 lbs/min. It's probably good for more than that but no one has posted it. The 62 turbine spools well too. So in reality the pt51 is a huge mismatch of wheels where it will top out around 500-520hp with a purpose built engine and the 6262 is mismatched also but will still support at least 130hp more. A better comparison would be the to4s 60-1, the 6152, or the pt54 to the 6262. At least with those the compressor won't limit power potential. For those that dont know what the t04e 60 trim compressor is it's the one used in a te44 with a stage 3 turbine. A great combination of wheels when run with the stage 3 but crap with high flowing turbines. The pt51 won't make more power than a te44 but won't spool for crap without a decent converter. The 62cea compressor will probably work excellent in your application if you are at really high altitude because you need more compressor to be able to maximize a turbo relative to ex flow

Thanks Bison,
I've been out of the game for many years, a lot has changed, trying to get back up to speed.

But if I may, it seems you are suggesting the 5862 could be plenty of compressor for the 62 turbine wheel, that would be great, I suspect it will spool a tad quicker.

Or, is the 5862 Billet, DDB, CEA an interim step to avoid and go for the 6262 and be done with it. Either way, I'll ask Dusty to do a 9.5" NLU to spec.

Thank You..

Thanks Bison,
I've been out of the game for many years, a lot has changed, trying to get back up to speed.

But if I may, it seems you are suggesting the 5862 could be plenty of compressor for the 62 turbine wheel, that would be great, I suspect it will spool a tad quicker.

Or, is the 5862 Billet, DDB, CEA an interim step to avoid and go for the 6262 and be done with it. Either way, I'll ask Dusty to do a 9.5" NLU to spec.

Thank You..
I dont have any data from any one who ran either of those all the way out though the 6262 has been mid 10's on an unopened engine. The 57f1 "should" outdo the stage 3 by a good amount. The 58cea "should" crush the t04e 60 compressor. By how much i dont know. I dont know the flow potential of the 58 cea. Id like to think its good to at least 65lbs/min. Thats definitely a good match to the 62 turbine. Spool between the 62 and 58 cea's probably isnt very noticeable. They are the lightest wheels for their inducer size ive ever seen. The weight of the wheel only has some effect on the spoolup. The design of the turbine and the compressor blade and length as well as will have different effects. Some compressors need a lot of rpm to get going up to 60-70% of their maximum flow but may only need 15-20krpm more to get the other 30-40%. Everything has to work together to really get it done. I used to think the 62 cea with the 65 f1 was a mismatch till i ran it on my own. I quickly found out that it was not since it moved 800hp worth of air on my engine before it was blowing hot air. I was too used to people posting that they ran low 11's with it. Its a 9 second turbo in the right hands with the right engine and tuner. No matter what you run even up to the 6265/66 journal your response time will be really good. Ball bearing cartridges with a small compressor/turbine like that are a waste of $ imo. The journal versions spool so fast the $ could be spent on something else. Bigger compressors and turbines will only make more power if the engine has the ability to swallow it. I ran at least 7 different turbos on the old engine in my blue car and they all made about the same power at the same pressure ratio under the same conditions as long as the compressor used was able to keep up with the engine. The turbos were 60-1/76, T63/76, 62cea/62f1, 62cea/65f1, T67/76, T72/76, T76/68f1. None of them ever made over 51X whp with boost in the high 20's. Most were around 490whp. All those turbos had that covered and they all made about the same power. The car went 10.61@127.85 with the 60-1 at 1100'. The engine was moving about 60lbs/min and thats it. If it cant swallow it it wont do chit. You will pick up a lot of mass flow with a better compressor for sure.

Thank You Bison,

Between your help and the information available in the "PTE 6262 Journal Bearing" thread, 5862 is all the turbo I'll ever need.

Time to call Patrick, speak with Dusty, start flowing some coin into our Buick vendors.

Ratts, changes, changes. I'm a big fan of our friends in Hebron.

Speaking of changes, Dusty Bradford has completely redefined the TR convertor conversation and marketplace. We're a long way from the Club "Red Stripe" these days.