Anything to do in Durham, NC?

brn agn

Hey guys, I am going to be in Durham, NC for one evening next week. Is there any sites that I should see? Nice places to eat? Thanks in advance.

You can go by and check out the dean dome and see where the national champs play---can i get a woot WOOT.

I am sure some of the RDU area people will chime in.

Geoff

LOL Ghall, you read my mind. There's a few other crappy colleges in that area but really aren't worth seeing.:D Other than the UNC campus I can't think of any reason to head to the Durham area. J/k, I think there's a track in that area but haven't been there yet.

Durham, NC is not much better than Gary, IN...I got my wallet stolen when I stayed in Durham for a week a few years ago visiting my then girlfriend who was going to Duke...I'll never go back! two guys cornered me going to my hotel and threatened to jump me if I didn't comply...needless to say my last few days after that were just wonderful:mad: from what I saw...most areas were run down and there were alot of bad parts that made some parts of Gary look like flower gardens

Oh great...that is exactly what I wanted to hear! It sounds like it may not be the most ideal place to live?

easy now there are bad parts in every city.let me know when your going to be in town.

It is not that bad

It is part of the Research Triangle. Voted as one of top 10 spots to live every year. Go to city search and put it in and it will tell you all the stuff going on. There is some nice places up there. Don you most have stayed in the hood or something. I go up there alot, buy all my boats there. I have never had any problems. If staying in town just go near campus to any little pubs and be some action. Not as much as usaull because of summer session is in now.

what do we do for fun in Durham? go to Raleigh......good triple-a baseball team and that's about it.

Alright, that is more like it!

Sgrim, I will check out city search.

Hey CKBuick, I PM'd you.

Downtown Durham gets interesting at night, but the ballgames are good, and there is a good dyno place there. If you get a little farther away, Streets of Southpointe have some nicer restaurants. Raleigh is nice if you want to drive a little farther, more clubs, bars and restaurants. Varsity Ale House is in Durham, heard that place is pretty good. If you need more info or want to go for a beer, just PM me. :)

Hey guys, I am need of more opinions...my wife and I are thinking about moving to NC to work in the Durham area. What are the pros and cons of living in NC? Let's start with the car related issues. What is required to license a car...yearly safety inspection, emissions testing?? Are you all from NC originally or did you move there? Thanks in advance.

pros and cons? l;et's see, in this area you can hit either the beaches or the mountains in 4-5 hours drive time, winter time isn't too bad temp or snow wise (but the whole county goes into panic mode when 1" or more of snow is forecast) and overall cost of living is pretty good. Cons: it gets freakin hot and muggy from may to late spetember (mosquitoes the size of bald eagles), property taxes within the city limits are stupid high, and the durham school system is a dysfunctional joke. probably the place to focus on would be outlying areas like apex/morrisville or around alamace county. What line of work are you doing?

Thanks for the info. I am employed as a Quality Engineer, and that is the line of work I have been interviewing for.

let me know when you get down here, i'll do my best to play tour guide if you need......

I am sorry I didn't call you, I ended up being pretty rushed...I flew in Thursday afternoon, found the hotel, got something to eat, ironed clothes, was up early on Friday for the interview, then flew home on Friday afternoon. I don't think I could cut it traveling all of the time. I don't mind it every once in awhile, but doing it every week would drive me crazy.

Stoneville

Good info here, I am looking into NC as well. My wife has a friend in Stoneville that we are going to visit soon.

We are looking into the greensboro area, any info about that area??