Anyone?

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
Is there a source for a 3" downpipes with cat. The joke here is for the longest time 3.5 were not available . Now it seems just the opposite. I can't seem to find a source for the TH style 3" & cat converter. 3.5 has a clearance problem & overkill for most applications. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Lou

3" downpipe

:cool: Red Armstrong is selling the 3" THDP. Limited time and production. :frown: Not sure about the cat. Call him 440-235-3232. :smile:

:cool: Red Armstrong is selling the 3" THDP. Limited time and production. :frown: Not sure about the cat. Call him 440-235-3232. :smile:
Thanks! I have been getting them from Red Armstrong but for some reason they haven't been available & couldn't tell me when? Another outfit Tig Masters has a web site advertising them left a message & no reply. We need Terry Houston back.

Thanks! I have been getting them from Red Armstrong but for some reason they haven't been available & couldn't tell me when? Another outfit Tig Masters has a web site advertising them left a message & no reply. We need Terry Houston back.

Call Jason at RJC. The Tig Masters pipes are his design, from what I understand. I have the 3" SS pipe that he sells on his site on my car and it fits perfectly (came in a Tig Masters box). I do not, however, have a cat. When I did have a stock-length cat I had to cut about 3" off of my THDP. There may be 'short' cats available nowadays - I dunno.

Jim

Red Armstrong sells cats cut to length for a THDP, or he did. I have 2 that came from him last year or so.

Red Armstrong sells cats cut to length for a THDP, or he did. I have 2 that came from him last year or so.
The answer I'm getting is that there isn't enough demand left to make building them worth while. Business also has slowed due to the economy. I had a conversation with tig masters & they said the cost of stainless has escalated & now there isn't enough profit in making them & are doing them on a part time basis only till their present stock of tubing material runs out & then their done.
Pretty soon no one will have any vendors to bitch about making a profit cause there won't be any left.

The answer I'm getting is that there isn't enough demand left to make building them worth while. Business also has slowed due to the economy. I had a conversation with tig masters & they said the cost of stainless has escalated & now there isn't enough profit in making them & are doing them on a part time basis only till their present stock of tubing material runs out & then their done.
Pretty soon no one will have any vendors to bitch about making a profit cause there won't be any left.

I don't think business has slowed due to the economy. It may be a small part of it, but I think business in this particular niche has slowed as a result of the Chinese-made pipes. Even some of the well-known and respected vendors have turned to selling them. In the face of that competition nobody can afford to profitably market their own U.S.-made product built with quality materials (polishing a piece of metal does not improve its quality) and with quality labor (i.e., people who can weld correctly and do it consistently). But I digress.....

If you really need to have a cat on a car, get a downpipe from just about anyone (Chinese-made or otherwise) and hack 3" off of it. Then a standard-length cat will fit. I had 3" Random Technologies cat and a shortened THDP for years. The only problem is when you move to a dump/test pipe. You'll need to have one custom made to accomodate the extra length.

Jim

I don't think business has slowed due to the economy. It may be a small part of it, but I think business in this particular niche has slowed as a result of the Chinese-made pipes. Even some of the well-known and respected vendors have turned to selling them. In the face of that competition nobody can afford to profitably market their own U.S.-made product built with quality materials (polishing a piece of metal does not improve its quality) and with quality labor (i.e., people who can weld correctly and do it consistently). But I digress.....

If you really need to have a cat on a car, get a downpipe from just about anyone (Chinese-made or otherwise) and hack 3" off of it. Then a standard-length cat will fit. I had 3" Random Technologies cat and a shortened THDP for years. The only problem is when you move to a dump/test pipe. You'll need to have one custom made to accomodate the extra length.

Jim
Thanks Jim!
problem is I can't find any 3" pipes Chinese or otherwise. Only 3.5 seem to now be available.I hopeing someone knows where to find a source. I can weld & make the cat its the main piece I need. Not for myself but it's so I can still service my customers when ness. I have sold many through the years.Before Terry Houston came on the scene in the early 90's I used to make the whole assm. myself. Took me all day & I'm not that ambitious anymore.

Thanks Jim!
problem is I can't find any 3" pipes Chinese or otherwise. Only 3.5 seem to now be available.I hopeing someone knows where to find a source. I can weld & make the cat its the main piece I need. Not for myself but it's so I can still service my customers when ness. I have sold many through the years.Before Terry Houston came on the scene in the early 90's I used to make the whole assm. myself. Took me all day & I'm not that ambitious anymore.

Gbody has a 3" pipe. I spoke with Brian about them a couple of weeks ago and it seems he moves A LOT of them. I'd be he has them in stock. I got mine 2 weeks ago from RJC (Tig Masters) but if you're saying Tig Masters is out then that's a dead end too. Cottons sells a 3" THDP as well.

Jim