Anyone went from a 44 to a pt61?

I went from a 44 to a 61. There's a night and day difference even on a stock motor. Can't ever keep traction on the street and it is scary on the top end...I maxed out the 44 at 11.70's on a stock motor, ran current best on a really crappy tune and traction with plenty more left in it...had to change the stall though from stock to a 3200

I went from a pt52 to a pt61 P trim and it was even more of a difference. I ran my best times on this turbo through full ehaust and drag radials. 17psi on the 61 p trim felt like 26psi on the 52:eek: Boy, I can't wait to feel the difference from the 61 to my new CPT70 P trim ( .82a/r ):D

Originally posted by DonnieShort
I went from a pt52 to a pt61 P trim and it was even more of a difference. I ran my best times on this turbo through full ehaust and drag radials. 17psi on the 61 p trim felt like 26psi on the 52:eek: Boy, I can't wait to feel the difference from the 61 to my new CPT70 P trim ( .82a/r ):D

Donnie, do you know specifically what exhaust wheel was in your turbo? I remember seeing your ad for that turbo and you said it had a larger wheel but I am curious to know which one.

It's kind of important to include that in a post like yours as alot of guys buy into the hype right away and buy a turbo that may not be right for them because they saw how much more power it made (on the internet).

Usually as PT61 is just a PT52 with the newer GT61 compressor wheel, which from the info I've seen is really not much better than a 52. Yours may have the turbine wheel that is the same as a PT54/TE61 or it's possible that it was one of the early ones that came with a P-trim turbine wheel which is equivalent to a TE62.

Just curious to know which one it is, which may explain why you feel it made so much more power.

Do you have any back to back timeslips with the 52 and 61 turbo's ?

BTW, I ran a 52 turbo for a year and a half and thought is was a very good turbo. Went best of 11.14 @ 120mph with it.

Originally posted by c&cgn
Donnie, do you know specifically what exhaust wheel was in your turbo? I remember seeing your ad for that turbo and you said it had a larger wheel but I am curious to know which one.

It's kind of important to include that in a post like yours as alot of guys buy into the hype right away and buy a turbo that may not be right for them because they saw how much more power it made (on the internet).

Usually as PT61 is just a PT52 with the newer GT61 compressor wheel, which from the info I've seen is really not much better than a 52. Yours may have the turbine wheel that is the same as a PT54/TE61 or it's possible that it was one of the early ones that came with a P-trim turbine wheel which is equivalent to a TE62.

Just curious to know which one it is, which may explain why you feel it made so much more power.

Do you have any back to back timeslips with the 52 and 61 turbo's ?

BTW, I ran a 52 turbo for a year and a half and thought is was a very good turbo. Went best of 11.14 @ 120mph with it.

I thought that I stated it was a P trim so there would be no confusion. And I know for a fact that it has the P trim turbine wheel because I had it built that way when my 52's exhaust wheel took a dump. I don't have back to back runs, meaning running the 52 then swapping the 61 at the track same day, due to the fact that the 52 had been sent back to be rebuilt into the 61 P trim. So that was not an option. The best time I ran on the 52 was 11.54 @ 116mph on slicks ( 3800lb car with me in it ) . It's very possible that the exhaust wheel was damaged at that time resulting in the slower time than it should've been. But I ran my best time ever with the 61 ( time in sig ) on drag radials with a 60' 1½ tenths slower than my best on the 52 not to mention a severly cracked ds header ( 1/8th et on that run was a 7.20 flat so that 42 pass would have been in the high 20's low 30's) . Apples and oranges I know. But the fact is I could feel the difference between them. I ran the 52 for over 2 years and knew what it felt like at all boost levels, up to 26psi anyway. And when I put the 61 on it pulled much harder at lower boost levels than the 52 did at higher boost levels. It's just one of those things that you can tell. And I'm not saying the 52 was not a good turbo, it was. Matter of fact, the way I found out the exhaust wheel was damaged was when I took the housing off to upgrade to the .85 housing. So it was definitly a keeper for me to want to upgrade it and free up some more power. Mine just had a failure and I decided to upgrade to something that didn't have that exhaust wheel on it, that's how it got the P trim wheel. It has the GT compressor wheel like the regular 61 but has the uprgraded P trim exhaust wheel. And I sold the turbo here locally to a guy that rode in my car with the 52 and then after 61 p trim and he could tell a big difference too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You did mention P-trim in the other post but did not mention the words "turbine wheel" with it so I guess I just did not notice it.

Basically, you went from a regular PT52 to a (what I consider) TE62 with the GT61 compressor wheel.

Who built your turbo? I don't think PTE is building them with the P-trim turbine wheel any longer.

I got the same answer from the guys at PTE. Limit was able to build me one GT61 P trim (since when up to a 67 P trim) with a .63 PTE hsing, reluctantly. There did tell me they thought the 52 wheel was better like PTE but would build one with a P trim if I wanted. So using my own judgement (which I sometimes to my anguish blindly follow) from what I had read decided to go with the P trim option instead. Have got it back together but not drove it yet. Should see some results soon. Hopefully the right choice. ;)

Originally posted by c&cgn
Thanks for clearing that up.

You did mention P-trim in the other post but did not mention the words "turbine wheel" with it so I guess I just did not notice it.

Basically, you went from a regular PT52 to a (what I consider) TE62 with the GT61 compressor wheel.

Who built your turbo? I don't think PTE is building them with the P-trim turbine wheel any longer.

PTE built it back in Aug. of 2004. It wasn't a month or 2 later that they went away from doing the P trim on it and doing just the 52 wheel for quicker spool up I was told. But it was labeled as a PT61 P trim, and for about 3 months it was all the rage almost fad-like. Then some concerns arose that it was so much like the 62 and we all remember the rap that it got. So between that and the slower spool up time with the P trim wheel, they went with the 52 only. At least that was explaination I got.

Originally posted by DonnieShort
PTE built it back in Aug. of 2004. It wasn't a month or 2 later that they went away from doing the P trim on it and doing just the 52 wheel for quicker spool up I was told. But it was labeled as a PT61 P trim, and for about 3 months it was all the rage almost fad-like. Then some concerns arose that it was so much like the 62 and we all remember the rap that it got. So between that and the slower spool up time with the P trim wheel, they went with the 52 only. At least that was explaination I got.

yes this is true...we do the 52 wheel now because it's just a much better spooling setup with the 61 compressor compared to the p-trim...I noticed it alot when I went from my p-trim and had the wheel changed to the 52...it basically makes the same power but is more responsive (boost comes up with the gas pedal)

as far as my times with this combo...it was on race gas...best time i've had so far with the alky is 11.90's...but you can't base everything off my car because i've got a ton of things I need to fix like converter which wasn't even locking up, mediocre launch, and tires spinning off the line...this turbo I've seen go low 11's at 120 mph on 25-27 psi of boost on a stock motor car...I'm workin on it:)

I went 11.63 with a GT6131E this weekend with hardly no tuning and 24# boost and 22 degrees timing. Was on the rich side. And thats with stock untouched heads and cam.

I went from a TA49 to a TE62(PT61 will probably outperform) and the third gear pull is ALOT better. Had to replace 2800 stall to 3400 to help out with the 85 housing that came with the blower.

TE-44 - 1.66 60ft 11.91@112.2
~25lbs boost

PT-61 - 1.68 60ft 11.62@116.9
~25lbs boost

I had a TE44/.63 & had it sent to Limit Engineering/John Craig & he upgraded it to a GT61 w/ .63. He told me to just leave the 44 exhaust wheel in it. Does anyone else have this combo?

I know my car spools extrememly fast & I'm now fighting transitional knock w/ the alky. Car has actually broke the radial 245-50-16's loose from a 60 punch ...I really need some DR's...lol.

The Darkside:cool:

Originally posted by The Darkside
I had a TE44/.63 & had it sent to Limit Engineering/John Craig & he upgraded it to a GT61 w/ .63. He told me to just leave the 44 exhaust wheel in it. Does anyone else have this combo?

I know my car spools extrememly fast & I'm now fighting transitional knock w/ the alky. Car has actually broke the radial 245-50-16's loose from a 60 punch ...I really need some DR's...lol.

Few questions for you.
Is the spool much slower than the 44 was?
What kind of turn around time did you have on the rebuild?
tks,

Originally posted by getchasum
Few questions for you.
Is the spool much slower than the 44 was?
What kind of turn around time did you have on the rebuild?
tks,

When I made the change in turbo's, I also changed out convertors. I went from a stock d5 to the billet 9x11 3400. I can tell you that it spools very nicely now, but think it's just a little big for the 61. I am considering selling the GT61 outright & buying a GT67 or having this unit upgraded to a GT67. It's in perfect condition & it only has maybe 1,500 miles & no track passes.(anyone want to make me an offer?) John Craig had told me at one time they could upgrade to a 67 w/ no problem. I'm not sure what exhaust wheel they would use if I did that....
As far as the turnaround on the upgrade, it was less than 2 weeks!!!

Yeah you have the same combo wheels as the other guy with the 6131. The TE44 turbo uses a T-31 exhaust wheel which is one size smaller than a T-350 wheel which is what we normally put in the PT61. Horsepower might drop to like 625 with the 31 wheel as opposed to the 6152 which makes nearly 650 flywheel with the larger S compressor cover like I have...but spoolup should be quicker than what I have...that 6131 combo is one we might do some day but we just have a few guys testing it right now...I think John does it regularly upon request at the moment...

Originally posted by d0n_3d
Yeah you have the same combo wheels as the other guy with the 6131. The TE44 turbo uses a T-31 exhaust wheel which is one size smaller than a T-350 wheel which is what we normally put in the PT61.
Hey Thomas, so you do have the same turbo as I have after all! I love it!

Please bare w/ me here, all these numbers are a little much. On the GN TType board it says that the Te 44 and Ta 49 uses the same wheels, a T3 76 Trim and a 58 mm compressor T04e 60 trim.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
Yeah you have the same combo wheels as the other guy with the 6131. The TE44 turbo uses a T-31 exhaust wheel which is one size smaller than a T-350 wheel which is what we normally put in the PT61.

So.... what’s the difference between a PT61’s compressor wheel and an old school TA61’s compressor wheel???

And assuming I could upgrade the compressor wheel in my 49 to the pt61 compressor wheel is it just a normal TA61?

difference between a TA61 and a PT61? yeah there's a difference...the TA61 uses an older T series compressor wheel while the PT61 uses the newer GT series compressor wheel which comes directly off the GT35R ball bearing turbo...if you have ever seen the compressor map for that turbo then you know why this PT61 is much better...ALOT more efficient and makes more horsepower