Anyone want to have a group buy of Freon 12?

Ssg Ken

My thread asking for info on conversion to the lower quality 134a @ $5/can or pay $25 on Ebay led me to find out others have found it on craigslist as low as $6/can. I have seen 30 pound cans but that cannot be shared all over the country. I have seen one post of 48 14 oz cans # $16.15

I had one model car that got 22 mpg and the same model car after R134a got 21.5 mpg and took longer to get down to temperature.

If anyone finds it @ near the $6/can one member saw, perhaps we can set up a group buy?

I keep my eyes peeled for it here and there and buy it whenever I can get it for ~$1/oz. I've paid $15 for 12 oz cans but that's about the max that I care to pay. It's on ebay all the time but I have about 8 or 9 cans right now so not worried about it. To get it cheaper usually means buying larger quantities/large cans of it.

R12 is rapidly losing demand. IMO losing demand faster than supply right now. You have to have a 20 year old car to need the stuff and the vast majority of 20+ yr old cars are occasional drivers and most people just retrofit them. There are so many small cans floating around out there that I doubt we ever run out of the stuff.

I'd buy a few more cans in that price range but is it legal to ship it?

Legally your supposed to have a license to purchase any refrigerant. I will have mine in a few weeks. So I well be certified to work on automotive AC systems

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

True, but some states can give tickets for going that slow. Makes no sense if the speed limits 60 and everyone is doing 70. They give you a ticket for only doing 60.

I'd buy a few more cans in that price range but is it legal to ship it?

It is legal to ship, provided you use an approved carrier and the appropriate packaging. UPS is the only approved carrier and it must be shipped ground. You also have to have a license to ship it as well as receive it. The propane based stuff is legal to own but may not be installed in any system in the US per regulations, but can be used in Canada.o_O

The other substitutes like R-134 and what was called Freeze-12 do not need a license to own or use in any system, you just have to know how to use it safely.;)

I found R134 for $6.00 a can at a Big Lots store in NE Ohio last month. Its about $14.00 a can down here in Louisiana.

How many cans would a empty system on a GN take?
Should I keep it r12 or convert to 134a?

Thanks,
Chris

How many cans would a empty system on a GN take?
Should I keep it r12 or convert to 134a?

Thanks,
Chris

If you can find the 12 without paying an arm and a leg for it, there's no reason to convert it IMO. If you convert it, you are supposed to drain all the oil out of the compressor and use a different oil, and people tell me you can benefit from a different orifice tube. I'm not an a/c expert by any means.

I bought a Buick about a year ago and the guy I bought it from is nowhere to be found how do I know if the ac is r12 or if it has been converted?

N. Ramos
Brooklyn NY

I bought a Buick about a year ago and the guy I bought it from is nowhere to be found how do I know if the ac is r12 or if it has been converted?

N. Ramos
Brooklyn NY

Easiest way is to look at the pressure ports

Check for a tag on radiator or on the evaporator housing. Should be a tag on the pump too saying the new oil/charge amount

I see r12 on Craigslist all of the time. It might be $25-40 a can but if you only need three or four cans is it really that much? I personally would stick with r12 for that price.