Anyone using the POWERTRAX LOCKER?

cwmccray

Undercover TURBO Brother
I got almost a month off of work and I need to fix my rear end. My T Type didn't come with a posi. My late Uncle shimmed my rear end tight to create a "poor man's posi" (old dirt tracker trick... better than welding rear). I am gauging the prices of Auburn Posi and a Lock Rite Locker. Got a friend with a 70 Nova with 26.5 tires and a LOCK RITE and he is very happy. He did not have to setup rear end. He is running 10.80's with 700r4, 3.73's, 406 sbc on 125 ZEX NOS.

Both are close in price. Only thing is LOCK RITE drops in with no setup and the AUBURN Posi will have to be setup at a addition cost. Any information would be great... BTW, I put a LOCK RITE in a AMC Javelin back in 1994. The rear end outlasted the car :).

I have a lock right in both my buicks powered vehicles as well as in my off road vehicles as well. it is a fantastic unit that is very robust for what it is. But they are noisy as hell in traffic or in tight city driving. if your axles are weak it will quickly show you how weak as they typically break the axle off right at the splines. Also, its my opinion that its a BIG NO NO to turn under power with these units, as it will unload then load in a huge painful popping and jerking effect that will test your U-joints in a not so happy way. Other then that, they are awesome!

From what I now understand, the SPARTAN Locker is better and quieter than the LOCK RITE. SPARTAN has larger pins, and is far easier to install since they integrated spring retaining pins for install and removal.Spartan comes with the hardened cross shaft.Spartan is heat treated in the USA now. Spartan is by far easier to install over all other inserts. Images show locked and unlocked. This should provide smoother in engagement, less clacking and clunking.

Attachments

• Spartan locker.jpg
    Spartan locker.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 160
  • Spartan locker 1.jpg
    Spartan locker 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 155
I have found the POWERTRAX as low as $295 and the SPARTAN as low as $318

From what I now understand, the SPARTAN Locker is better and quieter than the LOCK RITE. SPARTAN has larger pins, and is far easier to install since they integrated spring retaining pins for install and removal.Spartan comes with the hardened cross shaft.Spartan is heat treated in the USA now. Spartan is by far easier to install over all other inserts. Images show locked and unlocked. This should provide smoother in engagement, less clacking and clunking.

tell us the truth: are you associated with SPARTAN in any way, shape, or form?

novaderrick, I am not associated with SPARTAN. I am Engineer by trade (Electrical) and I write and research specifications. I have been researching my T Type since 91.

The powertrax unit works best with light vehicles, or low speed off road vehicles Chuck. There have been issues with high HP cars and trucks and failures. If you want to try it go ahead, but I have a feeling you'll be looking for a real posi afterwards.:(

Just use the old shims with the new carrier. Been done before. If you want to make sure it's ok through some marking compound on the gears and check the pattern. I've done it before with an eaton posi. Don't know if the auburn is any different in size.