Anyone Using The Crower Cam Saver Lifter?

Two Lane

Cam Saver lifter

According to their catalog, they have machined flats on the side of the lifter to provide an additional 12-16 ounces of oil per minute to the cam lobe without adversely affecting engine oild pressure (nominal 1-2 # drop).

The part number that they list for the Buick Evenfire 78-up is 66050X3-12.

(Question was first asked in another thread by member 2Fast4U)

Anyone?? :confused:

TIA!! :)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=103954&referrerid=5261

Two Lane,

I've actually used their cam saver solid lifters before. The concept is good, the solid lifters actually have a small dia. hole in the face of the lifter that provides extra lubrication. On the hydraulic lifters they machine a flat spot on the side of the lifter from the oil pressure land down to the lifter face for the same reason.

I know Terry Ryan used to make his own version. It can't hurt to have additional lubrication but it won't fix the #3 lifter bore mis-alignment either.

Neal

MUCH APPRECIATED

Thanks for your reply & info, Neal!

Do you think cryo-treating & moly-coating the cam & lifters would help a cam live?

So many motors have been harmed by cam installs we're still wondering why some live, and some don't...and are willing to consider any/all ideas that might help.

TIA!! :confused: :) :confused:

Two Lane,

I would think those things might help but there are a bunch of variables that have to be addressed to make sure the outcome of any cam install is good. I know this was covered several months ago so I don't really want to beat a dead horse. Not all camshaft failures are the same so it's hard to give one pat answer.

If you're flattening just the #3 exhaust lobe for instance the underlying problem is a bad mechanical relationship between the cam and lobe on that particular lobe. The root problem has to be solved otherwise it will continue to repeat itself one cam after another.

Neal

Thanks very much to Neal & Gene for their replies & info! :)

We've always accomplished a surgically careful & thorough cam-break-in and have never lost a camshaft in any motor before, but...the 3.8 109 appears to present "special" challenges via the mis-alignment of the lifter bore(s) for those not running roller camshafts.

Although there are success stories of some cams (like Red's Speed-Pro 204-214), the number of "My New Cam Has Gone Flat!" threads/posts in the archives reflect a serious gamble with bad odds regarding relacement cam longevity.

Thanks again for taking time to discuss this continually recurring topic! :)