Anyone using a big shaft turbo with a stock long block?

BABY BOEING

I'm looking to upgrade my turbo as mine blew the oil seal last weekend. I intend to install ported heads and cam next winter and wanted to purchase a turbo that will work well in both applications. I have a precision 3400 stall converter and see 4000 under boost at the lights. Please post what turbo you are using and you et. mph and 60ft. Thanks in advance, Jon.

Not yet, but will be in the next month.
I'll be running a bone stock motor, except for Comp 980 valve springs.

T63e & 9x11 3400 stall converter.

Got a double ball bearing GT70 Innovative on my WE4 car with stock heads and cam with 155K on it.

No real plans for heads and cam. either on this car.

Car don't know what size the turbo shaft is. ;)

Doubt it would car if it did. :)

Just ran it's first 11.93 on pump gas and alky.

Now she's retired from racing and will be driven until she won't go no mo'. :cool:

I run one. Most recommend against it but as long as you have proper stall, fuel, and wastegate control, it's a ton of fun. I like the top end. I'm not too concerned about 60 ft times as my times would show.

Could you please tell me you 60 ft. times? What is the stall speed on your converter? How much boost are you able to build at the lights? How much boost do you leave with? How much boost are running to get the above mentioned times? Thanks for your help.

Low timing chip (Extender), 9/11 convertor stalls less than 3000 RPM at 0 boost, 60 ft times are 1.70's to 1.80's. I do not launch hard because of the T-tops. I can hold over 10 PSI on the line if I want to but I do not. Boost is mid 20's, depending on weather. I like low timing and high boost. My dyno run was closer to 30 PSI though......

Current combo:

Stock block (new valve springs only)
T66bb-turbonetics w/.63 exh. housing
72lb inj.
Extender Extreme-Trans+-LS1 MAF (just installed)
PTS 9/11 3k stall

60ft mid to high 1.6's
1/4 mile 12.24
mph 113

The track times were with an old chip which had some issues. Car was breaking up in 3rd gear bad certainly hurting time and mph. Converter stalls to 2900@ 0psi boost, I was leaving the line at 4k rpm with the boost sweeping past 15 and heading quickly towards 20 :eek: Max boost was set to 24psi and the alchy was on full blast (maybe too much ;) ).

The new chip which I have recently installed is phenomenal. Idle is better, throttle blip's are very crisp like never before, cruising is better and WOT is so much better that I can now notice the tranny flairing :rolleyes:

12 psi launch...art carr 16930 (9") non lock..t63e..1.57 60'on 28x11.50 ETstreets 7.40 @96 1/8 mile.@25psi...stock un-opend long block!red armstrong chips:p joe

T63E
104,000 mile strock long block with new valve springs
Art Carr 9" N/L 3200

Last time out went 11.16 @ 121 with 4 psi launch off foot brake and pulled 1.60 sixty foot. The 4 psi launch was do to messing up my brakes. I tried to make them better and f'd them up. Earlier in the year I was launching at 8 to 10 psi and pulling high to mid 1.4's for sixty foot times.

I'm not sure if the big shaft turbos really help a stock long block car run hard. I do know that you can run hard with one and then it will be there when you do get into the motor down the road.

Alot of guys go way over budget building a motor. Once its built they dont have the money to get the rest of the car set up so they dont run right and some times break stuff. I'm building up my car first and then the motor. This approach is working fine for me because I'm running pretty decent times and not tearing any thing up. I think I'm getting to the point where people arent going to believe my long block is stock. I dont say that because of the times but because of parts most people wouldn't think about buying until after the motor was built.

new for this year:
T66 ball bearing turbo
T400 with switch pitch convertor
wide band o2 feul managment system (BS3)
MSD DIS4
and a cage is comming

left over from last year.
modyfied ATR liquid IC
Ford 9" rear end with mosier axels
built rear suspension
Big areomotive fuel pump w/ -10an supply and -8an return
NOS system was installed but never got a chance to really mess with it

HTH: Jason

TE-63 with combo in sig best (race trim)1/8 was 6.91 @ 96 1.41 60'.Ran high 11s in the 1/4 on pump gas with 50# injectors and NO alky.BTW no girdle,no caps and a NA crank too.Blew a HG once.

I want to thank everybody for posting their combo and turbo sizes. I t looks like a big turbo is definitley in my future.

Originally posted by broke1
Dont listen to postal,bastards got a Stage II for when his stock engine dies:D

I only have pieces, not a whole motor. Some beavis bought the girdle I was thinking of putting on my production block! :D

Jason

Just wanted to post some feed back. I went with a TE 67 from John Craig. I made it out to the track this weekend and am pretty pleased with the results. Unfortuitley I was only able to make 2 passes due to track conditions and brake downs. First pass ran a 11.84 @ 108 with a 1.57 60 ft. at 21psi. ( the low mph was my fault, I gota get a funtioning tach in my car since it's now a manual valve body). Second pass 11.86 @ 116 with a 1.83 60 ft. at 24 psi. (crappy 60 ft. again my fault, trying to bracket race). I am pleased with the above times since the car is still in rough tune with only 2 passes and the DA for the day was hoovering between 3500-4000. I wanted to thank all who posted again and let you know how it worked out. Thanks Jon.

What did you think of the spool up? What exhaust housing does it have on it?

Jason

Spool-up is definitley slower than my old 60. But I am able to spool it at the track, which was my real concern as I plan on building a motor next winter for it. The exhaust housing is a precision .63

Hello all. Well I finally made it back out to the track yesterday with a functioning tach. and was really pleased with the results. First pass off the trailer 11.64 @ 114.22 with a 1.57 60ft. Final pass:

60' 1.658
330 4.620
1/8 7.114
MPH 97.98
1000 9.287
1/4 11.130
MPH 121.86

I only wish I got the oppertunity to make another pass, being off nearley a tenth from my first 60' I think I could have made a 10 sec. pass. Stock long block 29 psi of boost, weather was 89 deg. with 41% humidity. :eek: