Anyone try straight VP C16 in their alky bottle yet?

Addicted2boost

SUCK, SQUISH, BANG, BLOW
I was just wondering because it is just alittle bit cheaper and it's not dilluted down in the gas tank. It may not cool as much as denatured, but still high octane gas though. If you have, are you able to run higher boost than alky, the same boost or lower boost?

Just guessing, but I don't think you'd be able to run anywhere near the same boost as w/denatured.

1. I don't think it would have the same cooling effect.

2. Wouldn't raise the octaine as high because alky effectively raises the total octane to simulate that of C116. Injecting C1116 in combination w/93 would probably raise it to somewhere near 100.

Maybe I'm off on my reasoning, and feel free to correct me. Just my initial thoughts.

The cooling effect of the alky is what allows for higher boost levels. race gas in the alky bottle won't do a thing but eventually foul your O2.

TurbT wannabe, I think you are basically correct in your statements but disagree with your figure of 116 octane.I don't remember the octane rating of methanol or ethanol off the top of my head but I seem to remember it being more like 110 -112? Maybe I'm wrong cause it's been awhile since I read the info. In any event the effective octane resulting from injecting the alky and mixing with 92-93 octane in the cylinders will be dependent on the proportions of each fuel being injected. Some of us inject nearly equal parts gas and alky if we flow alot of alky. If that were the case I would think the mixed fuels would be more like 104-105 or so. And of course many people flow significantly less alky in their systems so the octane might be closer to 100. I used 116 as the octane for the alky in the previous calculations but as I said I think it may be a bit lower? Anyone remember for sure? I'm too beat to go and look it up. It's possible that the extra cooling effect of alky might "imitate" a higher octane than the raw number- Maybe that is what you were alluding too?
As far as injecting 116 race fuel instead of the alky- Don't think it will work as well and then you have your O2 sensor fouling, etc.

Thanks for the info, Bob. That's basically what I was saying, I'd just never heard the octane rating of alky, nor had I heard that at high pump settings you're injecting a 50/50 mix of alky and gas. Good to know. I'm still in the R+D stage of alky(still saving my pennies).

Actually, I believe that my system is injecting about 80% of what the total Gasoline quantity is. In other words, if my gas consumotion is 216 lbs/hr them .80 X 216= 172 lbs/hr of alcohol. The exact figures may not be written in stone but it should give you an idea. I figured the above from the fact that I have 6 - 36 lb/hr bluetops working to the max and I converted my 2 alky nozzle sizes from their gal/hr ratings to determine how many lbs/hr of alky I was flowing. I did this some time ago and am not sure exactly what nozzle sizes were in the car. Heck, I can't even remember what sizes are in there now (I think its a 13.5 and 11 gal/hr though). The actual flow may be less than the actual rating of the nozzles but the alky can surely be somewhere around 50-80% of what the gasoline is. I should do a new flow test and actually remeasure these cause its been awhile. I also plan to install an alky pressure gauge but I never get around to it. Anyway, the mixture ratio of the alky/gas might easily be 1:3 or stronger for the systems that most people use as far as I know.

You're right it's not as much the octane as it is the cooling effect, which I believe helps take hot spots out of the cylinders.

The increase in Octane, or anti-knock properties, is so dramatic because of the 50% water that most people use. More than the alcohol. Hence the original injection systems that were water only.

It would probably just make you run extremely rich. Gas doesn't cool as much as alchy can. It wouldn't be much different than just dumping more fuel through your fuel injectors really. Kinda like running a NOS kit with the NOS off and fuel on. Black smoke out the pipes.