ANYONE RUNNING 20's or 22's

gnjay

The Realist
Anyone running 20's or 22's can you please post some pictures. I just ordered some custom 3 piece 20's for my GN. They will be ready in about 3 weeks and when I get them I'll post some pics. I just hope I made the right choice going with 20's and not 22's. The reason I say that is because I saw a 86 ss monte carlo with some 3 piece 22's and it was killin' (no it did'nt have the dirty south look or monster truck look) 5 inch lip in rear and 3 inch lip in the front

gnjay said:
Anyone running 20's or 22's can you please post some pictures. I just ordered some custom 3 piece 20's for my GN. They will be ready in about 3 weeks and when I get them I'll post some pics. I just hope I made the right choice going with 20's and not 22's. The reason I say that is because I saw a 86 ss monte carlo with some 3 piece 22's and it was killin' (no it did'nt have the dirty south look or monster truck look) 5 inch lip in rear and 3 inch lip in the front
Post pics of the 86 SS on 22s...I gotta see this and decide if it really looks good to me. I still think once the overall diam. is shot to sheit, it looks the same... like sheit. 20s are as big as mathamatically works..and thats still a debate on this site. I like the big wheels, and will be on some soon as well. There are many already doin it, and many more being built. I like big wheels, and having a strong car, but at some point its just too StLouis/durty souf for me.

I'll try to post them, if I can get the pics off of my friends camera and then you will see, having the right offset makes all the difference in the world. The only thing is I think the M/C is a little bigger than a GN

gnjay said:
I'll try to post them, if I can get the pics off of my friends camera and then you will see, having the right offset makes all the difference in the world. The only thing is I think the M/C is a little bigger than a GN

Should be the same size. Same Frame. Same suspension. Basically the "same" car. "interchangeable" parts. Both G bodies. Wheel wells should be roughly the same too.

Royal-T-Ltd said:
Should be the same size. Same Frame. Same suspension. Basically the "same" car. "interchangeable" parts. Both G bodies. Wheel wells should be roughly the same too.
My GN is sitting next to a 86SS right now. The only diff I see is the SS is longer fron front wheels forward. (nose) Outside that they are real close if not 100% identical. BUT I dont claim to know montes.

A shop that's right behind where I work had a customer special order some Makaveli wheels in 22's and they were not going to work at all. They test fit them several times and I think the main problem is trying to get a reasonable overall diameter tire that's actually available.

Adam

P.S. mine are 20X8.5 front w 4" backspace and 20X10 rear with 4.75" backspace. 245/35/20 front tires and 275/30/20 rears.

Attachments

• resized badass.jpg
    resized badass.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 793
22"s man that has got to be where I draw the line.. Here in Birmingham we got a guy with like a 79 Malibooo thats got like a 10" body lift I guess it what you would call it, with some like 28's on it.. Be it that this is more extreme then 22's on a regal trust me to see is to think $%^&$$&#$&% is wrong with people.I mean te car has got to have some kinda future tranny problems . I think 20's is as far as you want to take a refal an still bein realm of tasteful an all thatsin getting the correect wheel to on there an not some ghetto wheel. To me thertes a fine line between the more European wheels an the ghetto slammer fat chrome spoke wheels. Plu slike said before its hard to find tires the larger you go in wheels.. What width an BS did you go with GNJay???? Also send us alink so we can see those wheels you got coming!! Also you make a good point about BS , caus eot have the wheel sit under the car just right makes the whole look. I like that morestreamline look of the wheels an tires sitting out almost flush with the bodyline.. :eek:

My friend is going to send me the pics of the M/C a little later on tonite. The wheels i'm going to be running are the VSK 5 spoke wheels with the black centers.The wheels will have a 5inch lip in the rear and 3 1/2 inch lip in the front. I told the owner of the rim shop to hold off on ordering my wheels until I decide if i'm going to run the 22's. The engineer for Vellanowheels came today and measured my car and said 22's will fit with no problems and actually recomended that I run the 22's. The link is www.vellanowheels.com Besure to check out the VSK gallery and look at the black Bently GT and besure to hit the next button.

Here's a pic of my GN with the 22's on the side of the car.

Attachments

• 0302061307.jpg
    0302061307.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 752
Turbo6Chicago said:
Hahaha big wheels are so ugly.

That's it???? That's the best you've got to offer???? Wow!! I don't know what I was thinking. You're right. I have now seen the error of my ways.

Adam

Leave it to a select few who want to take a perfectly good performance car and f it up like a import :mad: if you want big wheels on a car go buy a honda or bmw or some disposable piece of crap like that :rolleyes: , the only one who benefits are the suspension companies after putting that on a car with those rubber band tires :eek: , you'll be doing some suspension work very soon. :D ;) :D ;) :biggrin:

Too Each his own, Too each his own.

Out here in Cali, Thats all people do is role Big Boy wheels, me personally, I wont put them on my GN, I've seen 22's tear up the front fenders on Cutlas Supremes, El Camino's but for some reason, not Monte Carlo's, I know a Guy with 22's on his SS Monte Carlo and his looks ok, just needs to be dropped. I also know a guy with a 22's on his Cutlass and his fender got all bent from the rim. Too each his own, its the style. Me personally,I wont go any higher than 18's on my GN because I feel its a race car, but in the same sentence I would go 20's on my El Camino SS. By the way GNJay what kind of rims are those, they would look really good on my El Camino Im lookin for that exact rim but in a 20 , and you must have buffed the shieat out of that paint, its Blingin. :cool:

Yeah i'm from cali, and the smallest I would go on my GN is 20's. At first I was thinking the same thing, 22's are too big, but when I saw them in person on the side of the car, it made me second guess my first thought. And yeah, I think 745's,Chargers, and 300c's on 22's are the only way to go. That's just my .02 though. These wheels are $5600.00 just for 20's, without tires. I'm thinking why not pay $1000.00 more and go with the biggest rims that will fit properly. These wheels take four weeks to make, i'm not just throwing on some ready made wheels,maybe that's why those other cars are tearing up parts. Remember the first time you saw 20's and how huge you thought they were, think about how small they look now compared to then. I just don't want them to look too small 5 years from now.

nailheadpowered said:
Leave it to a select few who want to take a perfectly good performance car and f it up like a import :mad: if you want big wheels on a car go buy a honda or bmw or some disposable piece of crap like that :rolleyes: , the only one who benefits are the suspension companies after putting that on a car with those rubber band tires :eek: , you'll be doing some suspension work very soon. :D ;) :D ;) :biggrin:

Leave it to a select few to think their tastes are the "way it should be" :rolleyes:

I am sure these guys arent alone in the fact that 22's DO NOT belong on GN's. Go get an SUV or something don't ruin an American Muscle Icon because you think that crap looks good!

I think some of you guys are bieng a little dramatic,saying the car will be ruined by me putting 20's or 22's on my GN. Look at what Chip Foose and others like him are doing to Himi Cudas,Himi chargers,55-57 Belaires(22's slamming ect.) and other cars of that nature. I would'nt put a roll cage,paint the car a different color,put airbags/hydrolics,or leave my 92,000 mile motor stock, but I don't get mad or think it's stupid (maybe airbags/hydrolics) when people do. Thats the beauty of our hobby though. How fun would it be if you went to some GN gathering and every GN was bone stock. Exactly alike (BORING)

Beast_TR said:
I am sure these guys arent alone in the fact that 22's DO NOT belong on GN's. Go get an SUV or something don't ruin an American Muscle Icon because you think that crap looks good!

"crap" is a fairly subjective term, don't ya think? Just because it doesn't fit into "your" style doesn't mean a car is being "ruined". I show my car a lot and just as a time slip is a measure of performance for the quarter mile junkies, trophies are my measure. I've got several and beat my fair share of G bodies with smaller wheels. I'm not saying that the wheels were the difference, but it didn't hurt. I've also had my car appraised at $60,000 by a certified appraiser. Can most owners of a turbo Regal "American Muscle Icon" say the same??? I'm sure som GNX owners could, but I've yet to see a non-modified TR do it. I guess the biggest confusion to me is where the direction of this thread is being mis understood. gnjay didn't post this in the lounge and he didn't ask for anyones opinion. He asked for people who have big wheels to post pictures of them. Do you have any pictures of your car with big wheels to post as a helpfull reply to his initial request? Everyone is afforded their own opinion (god bless America and the people who protect us :wink: ), but if you're not going to help answer his request for pictures, why the need to degrade him??? Royal-T-Ltd didn't give pics, but in my opinion showed exactly the kind of class that some have, and what keeps me coming back to these boards.

Adam

GO Ahead put those bug wheels and rubber band tires on your car :rolleyes: but don't come crying to us on the forums when your suspension is shot and your kidneys feel like a punching bag from no dampening from the thin tires :eek: . I have no personal concern either way, I just feel there are plenty of other makes and model cars/trucks that can be tore up for the sake of the look of wheels and tire combo's and a rare collector car like a gn/gnx definetly should not be one of them along with the monte and olds areo coupe's etc ;) .

Also if someone appraised your stock gn with big wheels on it for 60k you should strap on knee pads and thanks him personally :eek: as im sure your car is nice but A i doubt its worth half that wheels or no wheels as i have had 4gn's not including the one i have now and two were WE-4 cars far rarer than any gn :D so be carefull about trying to up sale your car :eek: as either your appraiser know's nothing about appraising or you paid him extra to up value your car which is very common.

Trust me your gn is not worth more than a GNX any day and especially just because of the wheels :rolleyes: as i can get a gn today with less than 500 original miles for less than what you claim your car is worth. good luck at Barrett Jackson. :biggring

PS if you got your title come on out to CALI i could use another GN and ill even let you keep the wheels and tires after your last 1/4 mile in it LOL.
Also my car is a regular driver no trailer to or from the strip well see how well those 22's hook up.

nailheadpowered said:
GO Ahead put those bug wheels and rubber band tires on your car :rolleyes: but don't come crying to us on the forums when your suspension is shot and your kidneys feel like a punching bag from no dampening from the thin tires :eek: . I have no personal concern either way, I just feel there are plenty of other makes and model cars/trucks that can be tore up for the sake of the look of wheels and tire combo's and a rare collector car like a gn/gnx definetly should not be one of them along with the monte and olds areo coupe's etc ;) .

Also if someone appraised your stock gn with big wheels on it for 60k you should strap on knee pads and thanks him personally :eek: as im sure your car is nice but A i doubt its worth half that wheels or no wheels as i have had 4gn's not including the one i have now and two were WE-4 cars far rarer than any gn :D so be carefull about trying to up sale your car :eek: as either your appraiser know's nothing about appraising or you paid him extra to up value your car which is very common.

Trust me your gn is not worth more than a GNX any day and especially just because of the wheels :rolleyes: as i can get a gn today with less than 500 original miles for less than what you claim your car is worth. good luck at Barrett Jackson. :biggring

PS if you got your title come on out to CALI i could use another GN and ill even let you keep the wheels and tires after your last 1/4 mile in it LOL.
Also my car is a regular driver no trailer to or from the strip well see how well those 22's hook up.
I'll be at Alvins autobody tomorrow so look me up Mike :wink: But first get your story right. Nobody on here has 22's Hybridt's car has 20's and speaking about a plush ride quality I've had a 9sec Mustang and a nice smooth Lexus like ride is the last thing it had or I cared about it having.But if I do ever have any suspension problems I'll besure not to ask you for assistance :cool: