Anyone remove tint by themselves from their TB?

Boostian

My T is tinted real dark. I don't like it. I've watched a few YouTube videos on removal and some seem to say steam is best, some say 409.

My main concern is messing up the interior. Anyone ever tackle this?

Steam does work very well. It makes side windows cake. The worst one will be the rear window especially if you have a rear defroster. It's a bitch but it can be done without damaging the defroster. For residue I use 3M adhesive remover it works great. Lots of paper towels.

Steam worked great . although it cost me a headliner.heat gun works ,but then I burnt the headliner.all that to pull purple tint off the rear defrost.also a razor blade works great to.

Keep razor away from rear window defroster lines.
Steam worked best for me. Even for glue residue

I do have a rear defroster. I certainly don't want to mess the headliner up.

Just put a bunch of towels down for the rear and quarter glass?

Yep, a cheap fabric steamer makes it much easier. I used alcohol and cotton balls to clean the residue.

I'm gonna give it a shot. Start from the doors and work my way back. Worst comes to worst I'll have a tint shop remove the rear. Depending on the condition of the glass I may do a light 35% retint. We'll see. The limo tint has to go.

Thanks guys

Surprised the local fuzz hasn't requested you remove it from the doors....
It's the state patrol here, that get's their panties wadded up w/ that limo tint.

As stated above, cover what needs to be and spray ammonia on window. Place a black garbage bag over the sprayed ammonia to keep it from evaporating and place in the sun to help it work quickly ( 30 minutes to an hour depending on outside temps ) WARNING!!! ammonia is very bad to inhale, get in eyes or skin contact. Also, ventilation is your friend, do not do in an enclosed garage and have both doors open. May take more than one application. HTH

I used windex, sponge and a razor blade scraper like they use to take stickers off with. Get the tinting started with the razor and pull it off. Soak the sponge in windex and wet the glue, use the scraper to take the slime off. Takes about an hour to do the whole car.

My post was directed toward the rear window with defroster. Side windows use razor blades with soapy water after you pull the tint off the window. Rear defroster is very fragile and one break in the element and it does not work. If the tint does not easily pull off rear window, apply again and cover with black plastic bag.

All of my glass was removed from the car when painted. I took it home peeled the tint off, it came off in one piece fairly easy. Then I used stripper and a red 3m scuff pad to remove the adhesive. I did this to all of the glass with tint and not only did it remove the tint/adhesive it cleaned off all stains and water spots too.

Last edited:
Residue wipes right off with a papertowl if you use 3M adhesive remover. Like said above and before don't use a razor blade on the back unless your OK with the risk of damaging the defroster. If you use a razor blade and then decide how big a pain in the ass it is then you do the steam you will realize how much work you created. Now instead of steaming it and pulling off in one big sheet your steaming and trying to pick off 500 pieces cause you've cut it all up with a razor blade.

Straight ammonia, a black garbage bag and hot sunny summer day are your huckleberry for the rear window.