Anyone race a Gen 2 Lighting?

The R/T Dakotas can be fast......really fast. I've seen on a few Dak boards where some (reg. cab. w/ the 5.9) are running in the low 11/high 10 range with the mopar superchargers (on the UN-opened engines too). But they can't keep trannys in them to save their lives. Way too much motor for a little truck, if you ask me.

I raced a Lightning...and lost:p. Fricken Lightnings are bad ass. That dude I staged up against did low 13s and high 12s. Inconsistent because of the retarded FWD cars that trail water down the 1/4 mile. Another friend of mines races with his R/T Dakota with Kenne Bells supercharger and could only hoist out low 14s. Hawaii track conditions SUCK!

A reg cab dakota with the 4.7 5spd is faster than the 5.9. The 5.9 is a towing motor. The 4.7 is a reving motor, my stepdads has no problem hitting 6,000rpm but he has the 5spd auto. Runs a best of 12.2 @109

The dakotas are cool but it seems to take a lot of $$$ in mods to compete with the Lightning. All the L needs is Chip, pulley and filter and you can run low 13's high 12's depending on the size of the pulley.

Now if the dodge SRT Comes out that will be bad a55 but then again at 50K you could mod the hell out of a lightining and still have money left over to buy a used GN!

Ya it does take alot of money to make an R/T run with an L but you got to look at this way. The R/T is a hole heck of alot cheaper than the L and the money you save buying the R/T instead of the L you can put that money into the R/T and make it ran just as fast if not faster than the L. Of couse if the 5.9 came from the factory stock with an SC than it would be a different story. The trans used on the R/T are just like the 200r4s, they have to be built up in order for them to last. You can not have 400hp coming from the 5.9 with out at least a shift kit and a trans cooler or the tranny will not last long at all.

Where is everyone getting thier info for price on the SRT-10?

All the stuff I have read has said ~30k, to be competitive with the lightning.

My dad is getting one this fall when they come out:D

anyone wanna buy a 1993 chevy stepside?

I love the Lightning, very, very much, and now there's another FAST Ford Truck besides the L. Has anyone seen the Boss 5.4??? That thing is BADASS. Love the cowl-induction hood too. I saw it at the Chicago auto show, and at a Ford dealership in Bloomington, IL. Very slick truck.

Originally posted by BluDevil
I love the Lightning, very, very much, and now there's another FAST Ford Truck besides the L. Has anyone seen the Boss 5.4??? That thing is BADASS. Love the cowl-induction hood too. I saw it at the Chicago auto show, and at a Ford dealership in Bloomington, IL. Very slick truck.

All that Boss5.4 is looks. All show but no go. My truck will tear that thing up. Price is around 35k, heck you mine as well by a lightning for that price and save 3 grand. The truck is very cool looking but that is it, nothing but a stock 5.4 under the hood.

actually, the one time I took my SS to the track i was lined up against a new Lightning. Thing is, the guy most of not known how to drive it, or was babying the crap out of it. We take off and I actually pull at first then its even for a little while, by the end he was maybe 2 cars ahead. I ran a 15.4, so I know he wasn't running what he should (mid-high 13's).

Still a fine truck, only ford i could own, well maybe a cobra R, but whats the chances of that happening. lol

i had an encounter with one of those new Lightnings (a newer one, it had the clear taillights) about 2 months ago. the punk kid driver (the truck was obviously his dads) came right up to me and asked me to "choose my weapon" between him or his friend in a Dodge Dakota. i told him i wanted to race the faster truck, so i lined up with the Lightning at a red light. The light turned green, and i spun tire BADLY. that gave him the advantage (his launch was perfect... looked like he had been hit from behind by an 18-wheeler!), and he had me out of the hole by 2-3 lengths. we stayed that way for the whole race (to 100mph), he couldnt pull on me, and i couldnt gain on him. this was my first street loss in my Vette, but ill be looking for a little payback soon