Anyone race a Gen 2 Lighting?

1BADGN

I own a 01 Lightning but I have owned my 87 GN since 91 and it is basically stock. I know time to start modding.

However, I bought a lightning cause I really liked the way they looked and the performance was comparable to a sports car but more versatile. I was just wondering if any of you have raced any lightnings and wanted to know what you thought of them too! :cool:

I have raced one

Last August I raced one in my 87 GN. I don't know what year it was.

We were on a busy road and every time he would pass so would I. Kept on his tail all the time. I could not pass him do to road conditions and traffic.

Every time he would gas it I would wait a minute and then close the gap.

I like those trucks a lot. If I wanted a full size truck they would be high on my list.

definetly one of Fords better products. i've raced them on the track and street racing. they dont hook all that well on the street. i've raced the new generation lightning also. i have never lost to one but my cars are pretty modded up.

I raced a 2001 a few months back 3 times we went from a stop,each time I left at 0psi ,he had me for the first 60ft then it was bye,bye, His was modded but I have no clue what was done (very LOUD)
I would love to own a Lightning in white:D
I hae a TE61 turbo Alki and runnig 22psi at the time

The reason I started this topic was that I tried racing a Lightining the other day when I drove my GN to work but he wouldn't bite. I pulled up next to him on I5 and and tried to entice him. He stomped on the gas once but then let off.

I love driving my L cause I like sitting higher but I get MORE thumbs up when I drive my GN than when I drive my L. Every time I think about selling the GN someone gives me a compliment on how clean my car is and how cool it is so then I change my mind. I just can't part with it. Beside I love racing people who don't know what a GN is or can do.

Lightning Race

I was in my step dads 2001 Kenne Bell supercharged Dakota Quadcab. Pretty good race but my step dads Dakota got em on the big end. The lightning was amazing off the line. They are great trucks. My sd's quad cab has 4.7 supercharged engine, mopar ecu , TB, spacer, full exuast, and K&N cold air. The truck f**Kin flies once it moving. It has bad suspension geometry.

Speaking of The Subject!.......

......just last night, me and my other S-10 buddy pull into a Taco Bell parking lot. And since my truck has no muffler, I of course, think it sounds bada$$, which it does.

We pull in and I give the tires a lil screetch to all the people standing outside, and my friend in his truck does the same, we're cruisin in, and as soon as we park, a brand spankin new Lightning rolls in behind us, and gives a lil rev. I thought what a dumbass I am to try and show off my crap.

He rolls in, and him and his buddy get out of the truck and go into the Taco Bell. Me and my friend hop out as fast as we could and jam over to the beautiful sight which is the only F**d imaginable that I or any of my friends would like.

We glare, since this is only the 2nd new gen i've seen in my town. It was a pretty red, billet grille, clear tails, fiberglass tonneau, and of course them factory donuts that set that truck off like nothing else.

We glare, and laugh, thinking how funny it would be to race it, and get smoked. As soon as the laughing ceases, the owner comes out, and gives a smile, as me and my friend say, damn nice truck man. He says thanks, and we ask if we could take a peek, he said sure, and pops the hood. And we check it out, look it over pretty good. He gets in, and my friend asks him what has he beat with it, and he tells us that he hasn't raced it yet, and he points to the DMV tag in the back window. I got it, and figured, yeah a new truck and he wants to baby it, but I told him if I had the truck, it'll be running down Camaros and Vettes. He laughs and says yeah thats my plan.

We say goodnight, and I give him the finger roll for a lil smoke show. I didn't think he'd do it, but right once he gets to the end of the parking lot, gives a lil brake stand. Me and my friend go nuts, and give encouragement to the guy. Then unexpected, he stomps it, and gets sideways all the way to the light, which is about 20 yards away. What a bada$$ sight to see, a full size truck like that getting crazy like a sports car.

That sure as hell made my night. I got back in my truck feeling good, and happy that we got the guy to do that. How fun!

I swear thats the only F**d I like, and respect. And the guy was cool, which some of the F**d guys are, which makes it cooler to have those encounters.

I raced my buddy's 2002 model, and we were even off the line, then I hit second, and pulled him until about 100-110. Had about 2 lengths on him at the quarter, but after 120+ he passed me up.

I raced one a few months back with my old combo! Quite impressive for a truck i must say. The one i raced was a 2001 with the smaller pulley, small bolt-ons, chp and 75 shot of nitrous. I had a buddy of minr tell me about it after he lost to it in his slightly modded 2001 ram air TA. Anyway......... i raced this lightning several times. He had street tires and i had a set of 275/50/15 BFG radial TA's (not drag radials) He wanted to race from a dead stop so i agreed..........(1st time, he used no NOS) he got me out of the hole about a car........i managed to grab traction about 35 mph and by the end of 2nd pulled about a car ahead..........by the end of third i was about 8-10 cars ahead. NOT PRETTY! It seemed to me........he just let off about 60 mph. The 2nd time he switched chips and turned on the nitrous. He got me by a good 1-2 cars ahead of me this time......i could hear the nitrous come on by window switch at around 3500 RPM in 1st gear. (amazingly he still maintained traction with the nitrous in 1st gear) By the end of second........i was almost directly even with him........by the end of third i had pulled a good 5-7 car lengths on him.........(we raced on this time) we quit at about 125-130 mph.........i had managed to pull him by about 10-12 cars.

My overall senario......they are great 1/8 mile performers. They get great traction no matter what tires you use. They struggle on the big end! FYI..... the nitrous did not appear to work all that well like i had planned. Who knows though......could just be the application.

raced one last year before i went thru the motor in my gta. i would say a solid 13.8 sec 1/4 truck on the street, but nothing special. i don't like the look of the new lightnings as much as the "older" generation ford trucks, looks too much like a toyota. too bad ford couldn't put that stout powertrain in a car so it could be some comp for the f-y-g bodies.

I have raced 2 at the track...first one was a 2001 silver one he ran a 14.30@103 he couldn't hook..to my 12.90@105..I did see him run a 13.14 on a next race..that was at the 1/4...the next was a Red 99 he ran a 8.37@83 to my 7.96@85 at the 1/8...it had a lot of bolt on mods...cool guy too. I love those trucks they look great and are fast! My buddy in the red one said his weight is 4800 lbs! That is like over 400 RWHP to get that thing that fast! He told me he ran a 12.86 at the 1/4. Dodge is coming out with a bad truck called the SRT-10 with the viper 500hp motor...I have seen a test on one and it ran 12.90@106 on 24in rims bone stock! Can't wait to see that bad boy!

Originally posted by CutterTurboT
Dodge is coming out with a bad truck called the SRT-10 with the viper 500hp motor...I have seen a test on one and it ran 12.90@106 on 24in rims bone stock! Can't wait to see that bad boy!

Yea me too, and it can stay right on the lot where it sits with that projected $50,000+ price tag too. Hmmm, buy a lightning for $32K(or a used one in the mid 20s), buy every bolt on and run a shot of nos(total might be about $2-3000 when done) and you will be in the 11s. I have a video clip on my computer of an 11.20 run by a bolt-on lightning. Seems like a better deal when money is short.

I also love the Lightnings...awesome trucks. The Dodge has nice power and all, but come on, that thing is too damn heavy, and IMHO, the Dodge trucks are FUGLY. *lol* I'd take a Ford over the Dodge any day. Just my opinion. :cool:

Raced a 01 in Moooresville, NC last year. Had a aftermarket pulley and ECM mods.

Ran him twice and he ran ~8.12ish both times. Super nice fellow and the truck sounded just wicked. He didnt seem to have much, if any, prob hooking (regular radials). Ive read the weight bias is close to 50/50 front and rear on them. I dunno how they managed that on a pick up.. A lil AWD turbo truck still waxed him both times... ;) :D

Anyway, even being a die hard GM kinda fellow Id buy one if I had the cash. Looks good, sounds even better, can acually tow or haul stuff, runs VERY respectable for its weight, and it all comes with a warranty to boot!!

Originally posted by HossV6

Yea me too, and it can stay right on the lot where it sits with that projected $50,000+ price tag too. Hmmm, buy a lightning for $32K(or a used one in the mid 20s), buy every bolt on and run a shot of nos(total might be about $2-3000 when done) and you will be in the 11s. I have a video clip on my computer of an 11.20 run by a bolt-on lightning. Seems like a better deal when money is short.

Umm ,how about Buy a new Lightning and a Super low milage GN for the same price as the SRT V10

Dodge get your head out of you bun hole:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

I love my 5.9 R/T and have suprised a couple people with it including myself. Almost lost control of it one day coming out of a turn on a side street i nail the gas and the tires just broke lose and the truck started to go sideways for about 20-30 feet . It was pretty cool and left this wicked tire mark on the road and fricked some guy out:eek: :D .

HEHEHEHE!

Originally posted by toast
I love my 5.9 R/T and have suprised a couple people with it including myself. Almost lost control of it one day coming out of a turn on a side street i nail the gas and the tires just broke lose and the truck started to go sideways for about 20-30 feet . It was pretty cool and left this wicked tire mark on the road and fricked some guy out:eek: :D .

I enjoy messin with the R/T fellas in town. There are 3 I know of and see often, a blue one an old guys drives around. Another blue one that sits in a driveway all the time. And a white one, which (I think) is mostly stock with just exhaust.

I like giving em a hard time with my ugly S-10!!!;)

They don't think its fast til I hit it going about 20 and jump right up on em. There nice, but i'm not a Mopar fan!