Anyone mount 3.5's UNDER the dash panel??

RED LS1

I bought some real nice JL Audio 3.5's which turned out to be to tall for the speaker grill to fit over. So I decided to mount them under the dash panel as opposed to on top of it. The speakers came with body clips that made this possible. The Passenger side was a PIA and took me about 1 hour of messing with it to get the screws and the speaker in place to tighten everything down. The passenger side is done and feel and fits great. It was possible because I could run my hand up under the dash through the glove box to hold the bottom of the speaker.

I havn't started on the drivers side yet and I know it's going to be a challenge because I won't be able to hold the bottom of the speaker from under the dash.

Is there any tricks that can be done here? I am considering removing some of the guage cluster area to access the back of the dash to hold the speaker while I install it.

Yeah, I put a pair of Polk db351's in the same way a few years ago. My passenger side was the easier one to do. Did you put it in from below or above? I put the clips on the speaker then taped a couple of #8 or 10 flat washers on top of that. It helped to space the speaker down a bit more for clearance from the grill. Slipped it in the hole from above, then held it by the tweeter while putting the screws in. Right side took maybe 5 minutes. Left side took probably half an hour due to the HVAC duct in there as I recall, but it was doable the same way, from above.

David

Attachments

• DSC03728a.jpg
    DSC03728a.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC03741a.jpg
    DSC03741a.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 194
I did similiar to david65 with my Polk db351's a few years ago as well, with no problems...

I just cut holes in the speaker grilles for the tweeters... LOL.

Can't you hold the speaker up by the tweeter, just long enough to get the screws started? Otherwise, tie some twine around the magnet to hold it up and push it below when you're done.