Anyone local who can lend an ear?

BlackMetal

Engine is making noise and I'm not good at diagnosing. Noise is still there with the belt removed, I know that much at least. Still drives fine so I should be able to bring it to someone if need be.

You need to describe the noise, when it occurs, and general area you hear it. It could be your valve train (bad lifter, worn cam lobe, rockers, pushrods, etc.), could be your cam or crank sensor or it could be your headers. :confused:

Use a stethescope, long screwdriver or a length of hose to listen to the engine.

You need to describe the noise, when it occurs, and general area you hear it. It could be your valve train (bad lifter, worn cam lobe, rockers, pushrods, etc.), could be your cam or crank sensor or it could be your headers. :confused:

I posted up videos in the tech forum I figured most guys had read the details about the noise there. Here they are.

Original:
YouTube - MOV04307

Serp belt removed, still hearing it:
YouTube - buick noise 2

Not sure what it is but that doesnt sound good. Did you drop a nut in the heads when you painted your valve covers? It almost sounds like a cam sensor I heard a while back that was going bad but there's no real way to tell just by YouTube videos.

Pretty sure I didn't lose any small parts while the covers were off, didn't notice any missing nuts or bolts.

Don't have an oil pressure gauge at the moment.

Any way to mess with the cam sensor or would I need to get a new one and just try it?

Pretty sure I didn't lose any small parts while the covers were off, didn't notice any missing nuts or bolts.

Don't have an oil pressure gauge at the moment.

I would get an oil pressure guage before running the car too much. Try changing the oil and cut the filter open, look for metal. You'll be out big $$$ if it keeps getting driven with a serious problem.

Any tips from the people who suggested cam sensor? Before I go buying oil pressure gauges and cutting up filters?

If you have a stethescope listen to the cam sensor and see if it's the source; if you don't have s stethescope use a long screwdriver by putting it to your ear. If it sounds like it might be the source, check to see if it is up and down loose. Sometimes the bolt loosens. You could also remove the cap and see if anything is broken.