Anyone know about texas driving laws?

87grandnat

I am kinda in a bind and could use some help if anyone knows. I used to drive a 18 wheeler over the road and alittle before i quit i went to New York and got pulled into a DOT inspection, the truck I was in got some tickets so i sent them in to my company and for some reason they didnt take care of two of them. Well here recently i started getting letters from New York saying i had some tickets in my name that had to be taken care of or I would have my license suspended. I tried to take care of them but they are 700 dollars! which I really dont have right now. So at first the told me they would suspend my driving privilages in New York, well I live in Texas so I dont really care about that but they said they would send a letter to Texas and request that they suspend my license here too and that scares me because I drive a truck locally so I dont wanna get in trouble with my job (I would just have to not work till it was taken care of)
Well sorry for the long drawn out question but does anyone know if Texas would do that? I am gonna call the DMV tomorrow but figured I would try to see if anyone knows

Thanks,
Joshua

I drive big trucks. (based in Plano TX)

It isn't likely that Texas would honor that request from the the Great Taxing State of New York.

Are you driving intra or inter? Your CDL is a Texas commercial license correct?

I would go to a local commercial DMV, find a trooper and ask.

Were the violations in question your responsibility or the company you worked for? Unless you were personally the fault of the citation, there should be no citation to you. (i.e. traffic violation, accident) If it had something to do with the condition of the truck, I would think that falls under the maintenance policy of the company you work for and the citations are their responsibility.

There are plenty of officers here on this board that would be able to answer your question. So I'll try to keep this one on top.

Dan

What name was on the summonses? What were the summonses for? Also, you have to find out if Texas and NY have recipricating charges. This means does TX honor NY violations? Another thing you have to be careful of is the CDL laws. This is a whole new ballgame.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I drive locally now (never leave Texas) its oil field work for companies like Chesapeake and XTO.
What I was hoping is that Texas wouldnt honor it cuz i could care less about driving privilages in New York. and yeah they were maintence (a broken windshield and a broken windsheild wiper) but DOT writes the tickets in the drivers name because the way they look at it is I shouldnt have agreed to drive it if it wasnt in proper shape. This was a small company i worked for and they barely get by. They paid for this stuff when i worked there because they knew they needed me to keep driving, so now that I dont work there anymore I think there attitude is its his problem (mine)

thanks for the help,
Joshua

Most states are part of the reciprocity agreement.

I Thought it was all of the states? Even if TX doesn't have one with NY just the fact that NY is going to snitch you out pretty much sums it up. NY wants it's money plain and simple.:mad: It couldn't hurt to ask for an extension while you get it sorted out.

they wont give me an extension, the guy i used to work for sent a letter requesting it be overlooked but i dont see how he thinks thats gonna work
Im prolly gonna just have to pay it

sucks,
Joshua

I would be beating down this former employer's door to get these paid.

I took a guy down to get a license renewed one time. I didn't think it would take too long so I stayed in the truck. As people were going in I started to notice the same people coming back out. I went in to see about this guy and they had him in an office prepare to take him into custody for unpaid tickets. I called our boss and he agreed to loan this guy to money to pay the tickets and penalties to keep him out of jail.

That said I think I'd call the DPS and ask as going down there could result in detainment if they have issued a warrant.

I think I'd just pay them and realize an expensive lesson, from now on don't be out driving with faulty equipment. It's your a$$ not theirs. They don't care if the truck isn't in compliance, only if it gets where you are going and makes money.