Anyone know about BMW Convertibles?

GNJimC

I found a 98 3 series convertable and was thinking about getting it for my wife. She sold her 3 series sedan last fall and was bummed. Anyways, it is at a used car dealer and he says the top wont go down, plus it has a broken rear window. Top itself is fine and a new rearwindow is around $150 ish

I am doing a little research to see if this is a huge PITA or could be somthing easy. If it was easy, I would assume the used car guy would have fixed it. However if anyone knows anything about these, is there somthing to look for such as a fuse, switch or connector that possibly came out or broke that could make this an easy fix? From my limited research it looks like there are a bunch of switches and servos and they all have to be just right to make the top work.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I dont need another headache (TR is enough), and she will mostly drive the car in the spring/summer and fall since WI winters and RWD dont mix well. I can get the thing for under 5 grand, BUT if the top will cost even a fifth of that to fix I am not sure it is worth it. Otherwise car is in good shape

Thanks in advance

My little bro has a 94-95ish 325i convertible.. He just replaced the entire top for about $400. Him and a friend did it and it looks good.

I doubt your 98 would be a huge difference...

Make sure the motor and electronics do work.. there is a special circuit board that synchronizes everything.. that is the expensive part to replace if it goes out.. you're probably in good shape anyway.