Anyone in El Paso Area in the last year been to the El Paso drag track located

Nascar83Fan

over in clint?
Just was curious if anyone ran on it and what did you do to achieve traction on either lane at that track with street tires.

Going to watch the test and tune there tonight, to take some notes & enjoy the atmosphere. If i had a helmet i'd see what my girl could muster, but can't run without a D.O.T. Legal full face helmet there. So she just gets to sit out in the parking area at the track, without getting to have herself any fun.
I do have very soft zr rated 225/55zr16's on 16x8 rims all the way around, so i figured they probally would hook better than most street tires would.

Just wondering what i could possibly do to minimize spinning tires if the track is alittle slick.
Once i can make a couple runs on the track to have an idea of what she's capable of, just to know a ballpark of where she is speedwise in the 1/8th and 1/4 mile distance.

Hopefully i can acquire a helmet soon and get to take her down the track a couple times to see where she is at, be the first time that we both been to a drag strip. Be fun to experience it from more than a spectator view.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Wouldnt recommend running there unless you either go early before the lanes get too much of a beating and the prep stuff is worn out or better have dr's or slicks cause i saw tons of people using dr's or slicks to get total traction while most on street tires would spin the crap out of them as it wore on in the test and tune runs. Concrete lanes suck big time without that super sticky stuff on it.
Although awd people were doing ok while the super grip was there, they still were turning a best of high 14's with mostly 15 to 16 seconds in the quarter with a few running 17's or worse runs . An awd nissan suv truck turned a 19.9 there even with 4wd on late into the runs, the lanes were just terrible with no grip at all after 2hrs of runs being made on them. This was 0.500 tree lights too.

Last edited:
Ended up with false information about test n tune rules too, street tires didnt need a helmet only if slicks.

So i decided to make a couple (2) passes ( wasn't the best idea in the world when the track lanes were crappy at that point and i still had a full size spare tire mounted on a 5th GTA 16x8 rim,with a 5lb or so 1980's jack in the trunk and with a small toolbox full of tools sitting on the floor behind the front passenger seat.) let me tell you even though she went straight as an arrow, hooking up good on a worn out prepped lane just was not happening until after the 330' mark but before the 1/8th mile down the lane but then i picked up alittle grip but the not ideal traction had killed the run big time.
Had they re-prepped the track to close to how it was when they started the test n tune, it would of been a big difference for street tires.

But the 1st pass i had ever made in my life on a drag track with her getting her 1st run at a track, was the first run where it had moderately finally hooked with alittle better traction but was still seeing alittle tire slippage going on yet ended up beating the awd titan suv who obviously out of the hole got me good but my TR got the better of them where it counted the most near the end. So needless to say my first attempt at the track ended up with me winning even with no prior real life drag strip experience against someone that did have tons of real life experience, in a full weight street car and with the bad track conditions :D
I was actually focused on trying to have a good rt and try to get a decent run out of her as well, track had plans on the decent run part.

Not impressive by any means outside of the killing of a titan by a good et margin. :D
The RT i had was pretty decent even with holding the brake pedal waiting for the tree light to go from yellow to green.

This is the time slip from the 1st run, this was with a .500 tree system to get a perfect light.

I was in left lane.

Run:143
TNT

Left:53 ----------------------- Right:39
.00 ----- dial in ----- .00
0.8803 --------- reaction --------- 0.3531
0.3803 --- True React Time ---- -0.1469
3.4594 ------------ 60ft ------------ 2.8601
8.9312 ----------- 330ft ----------- 8.4710
13.0220 -----------1/8th----------- 13.0531
60.09 -----------1/8th mph----------- 54.24
None ----------1000ft ET ------------ None
None ----------1000ft mph ---------- None
19.4782-------1/4 mile et -------- 19.9059
75.55 ---------1/4 mile mph -------- 74.43

Winner Red LT

Like i said the lanes were horrible at that point, 142 passes had been made prior to my run.
Kicking myself for not running way earlier when the track was alot better, but was cool to of in front of people pull off a win from behind in 1st ever track attempt on equally crappy lane conditions. After we had got back from getting our time slips, at the racers pit area the person i had just beat had got out of their truck and went into the spectator stands to watch the other people runs for alittle bit while they were trying to figure out how they had lost that run even though they had a good margin over me until we got to the 1/8th mile. They still ran as hard as they could even though they had red lighted it. Even without them red lighting, the outcome wouldn't of changed any.
The people in the stands at the track were amazed by it, they at first thought i was lunch based off the start but she under some uni-deal conditions came out on top from 1/8th to the finish. I tell you what, that person wasn't too happy that they had got beaten by a pump gas v6 powered antique.

Improved to a 0.7461 RT, which would be a 0.2461 RT on the second run but the lane had too much burnout liquid off other cars tired to even make a full pass, had to abort right after hitting the 1/8th cause i could hear the tires screaming after i had hit the 330ft mark. Got out of it before anything could be hurt and never got close to rev limiter either. Sucks when you lost 1/10th of a second on 60ft and 330ft times and lost 1/2 a second on the 1/8th mile time all cause of the lane i ran in twice was like an ice rink on the 2nd run. Both times i just waited until the lights were about to change to green when i let off the brake and hit the gas pedal without brake boosting. On both initial take offs i never went over half throttle so wasn't blowing the tires off to get going, just wasn't hooking on the slick greasy lanes.

Last edited:
If i go back to that place, i'd just strictly watch everyone else make runs there. Just a waste of time, money, and gas without some sort of drag tires on that surface. Just isnt worth it to go run on that track otherwise. A couple people actually broke something out there and it was cause of the in-ability to get good traction.
I did mess up not making sure i had her in 3rd from the get go, realized afterwards i had left her in OD which added to the hurdles on first run. At least i didnt hurt anything and learned that for in the future if i go do some test runs, do it while the track is in good shape and make sure she is in fact in drive (3rd).

Last edited: