Anyone here ever know anyone with lymphoma?

VadersV6

About 3 days ago when I was taking a shower, I went to wash my right armpit and was hit pretty hard by a sharp pain. I started feeling around, and theres a nodule about the size of an acorn, maybe 1/2" deep inside where it starts. Really hard and VERY painful. I feel it sometimes while just reaching for something. This came out of nowhere. For the past couple months, my left armpit was a little tender for some reason. Then it went away and I forgot about it. Then this popped up in my right armpit.
Been smoking for about 8-9 years.
At my last job, I used to be drenched in different solvents. We had a wet grinder for surfacing heads, that used engine coolant for grinding fluid. I would pull the head out and blow it off. All of it was airborne. Then I would wash it in a solvent tank, with the solvent all over my hands and arms, and then I would blow that off. I would be standing in a cloud of coolant and solvent, and I would do this all day. This lasted for 2 or 3 years. Thier glass beader had huge leaks everywhere and I used to breathe the glass dust too. I used to cough up blood on occasion. That was maybe the first year. When I started machining blocks, the honing oil was so pungent that i couldnt breathe. it was incredibly powerful. My hands and arms were always covered in it, as were the arms and hands of everyone who did this stuff before me. A bunch of stupid manly men who thought this stuff couldnt hurt them. This was before all the reformulated solvents and oils that are safer. I would constantly wash my hands, and tried to turn my head away from the honing machine cause the fumes were so unbearable. Wearing a mask for 8 hours is horrible so its not like anyone would bother. I have big palms and short skinny fingers, so no gloves ever fit me, and any I did wear would really get in the way cause the fingertips of the gloves would dangle around and get in the way of everything. This stuff would get in my system, and I would actually sweat this stuff. My eyes would glaze over from the fumes accumulating on my eyes...either that or it was coming from the inside out. before this job when I was 18 or so, my dad had tons of bottles of trichlorethane. i used to use it to clean spark plugs and wash parts, cause nothing came close in strength. it used to pour all over my hands and arms. I found out later about this crap having some triple bond molecule that you can never really get out of you. Then there were all the endless times standing in a cloud of paint mist. For years at this job, I was breathing airborne cutting fluid mist from our mills. These misters are illegal now, but not that any employers of mine ever cared about the law. I still deal with chemicals, but nothing like back then. During all the years at the old job where chemical exposure was hardcore, I was really into exercise and nutrition. I would sweat like an animal for 2 hours every night and ate flawlessly and took lots of vitamins, minerals and supplements. sweating so much keeps your lymph system cleared out and healthy, but about 9 years ago when I started this job, I took up smoking and quit working out. I havent had a sex drive whatsoever in the past 5 years, even though my test levels are fine and sperm tested ok. Im always totally tired beyond belief and have alot of stress I deal with daily. My mom's sister died in 1999 of cancer, and my dad's dad died of prostate cancer in 94. My dads brother got prostate cancer, but they found it in time. He has to inject his junk to get an erection, but at least he's not dead. 2 weeks ago, I welded up my header with my new welder, and didnt wear a mask. Didnt bother cause the fumes werent bothering me. Stupid. The next week or so, my neck swelled up. All the tissue in my neck. It was actually making it hard to breathe.
So if anyone knows, or has known someone with lymphoma, I'd like to hear if what they had, started with symptoms like this. The 1 hard nodule in my right armpit that hurts like hell.
This is really making me think about my life and how much Ive taken for granted and wasted in my life. I pray that this is simply a swollen lymph node and nothing more. But my little brother has 4 swollen lymph glands in his neck that vary in size from day to day, and he says they dont hurt at all and the doc doesnt think its anything to worry about. The fact mine came so fast and hurts so bad really has me scared.

I'm sorry to here that, wow you have basically taken a shower your hole middle age life in toxic substances. I sure hope your ok buddy. This is one of thoughts life changing issues that really makes you stop and look at the big picture. I have been in the work place also w/ spray glue fumes, paint thinner, etc. and tons of saw dust. I also coughing at times, and I smoke :rolleyes: keep us posted on what you find out. If you need anything let mee know. Have you gone too the doctor?

Brent (VadersV6): I am really sorry to hear about that. You really should see a doctor if you have not already done so. I am not going to start preaching about the ills of smoking, as I smoked virtually all of my life up until about 13 or 14 years ago or so. I went on one of the patch programs and quit smoking towards the end of '92 or so. Wasn't easy, but nothing is for hardheads like me. It's never too late to quit smoking, and in relationship to your lymph nodes being enlarged, I would at least cut back until you get to a doctor to get checked out and he will tell you to quit smoking. If you are a heavy coffee drinker / caffine abuser, I would cut way back on that too till you get everything straightenend out. I quit that, too, in maybe '88 or so. Not easy, either. A lot of doctors believe that there is a definite tie-in between abuse of caffine and one of the cancer groups, maybe colon, I don't remember which one. I am sure that a lot of your stress is probably caused from worrying about your lymph node. Also, a car forum, even a good one, is not necessarily a good sounding board regarding whether you should see a doctor or not. You should. What does your wife say about all of this. Call a doc or have her call one for you. It will not go away by praying to the Buick Gods. I hope that you feel better, but I hope that you see the light about seeing a doctor. HTH. It's probably nothing other than a cold, flu, or a virus coming on, but wouldn't you feel better if a doctor told you that rather that some car nuts. Go see a doctor.

Dude, you really can't get medical advice on a Buick BB. Like Don says, see a doctor right away.

Signs and symptoms

Swollen, painless lymph nodes in your neck, armpit or groin areas are often the only sign of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in its early stages. Other signs and symptoms may include:

Fever
Night sweats
Fatigue
Weight loss
Abdominal pain or swelling

Now, having a paiful bump in your armpit is obviously a problem, but it could be any number of other things instead of lymphoma. Tha't why you should see a doctor ASAP.

Brent Go see a doctor right away better to be save than sorry, you may end up with just a swollen lymp node because your fighting an infection lets just hope thats all it is., good luck.

Ive dealt with clinical depression for over 20 years. At about 20 years old, I started working really hard on getting a handle on it, and tried my best to move forward in life, regardless of the way I felt. I did ok, but all the years of depression can take a toll on you physically. I really regret now having said "I wanna die...I wish i were dead...I hate life....life sucks!"...through the years. Even if this turns out to be nothing, it'll be something I never forget. This has scared the **** out of me. Its increased in size in the past week. My wife poked me in the stomach last night, playing around, and for some reason it hurt really bad. More than it should have. That area still hurts. I also found little lumps on my lower abdoment that hurt. This is bull****.

Ive dealt with clinical depression for over 20 years. At about 20 years old, I started working really hard on getting a handle on it, and tried my best to move forward in life, regardless of the way I felt. I did ok, but all the years of depression can take a toll on you physically. I really regret now having said "I wanna die...I wish i were dead...I hate life....life sucks!"...through the years. Even if this turns out to be nothing, it'll be something I never forget. This has scared the **** out of me. Its increased in size in the past week. My wife poked me in the stomach last night, playing around, and for some reason it hurt really bad. More than it should have. That area still hurts. I also found little lumps on my lower abdoment that hurt. This is bull****.

B*tch go to the doctor damn it. :mad:

2 things... you are scaring yourself. Mentally you're just going to get worse.
Go to the doctor, Why have you waited this whole week? Make a ****ing appointment :confused:

Go to the doctor. It may be something as simple as a sweat gland that is constantly getting blocked.

Go see a doctor asap. Maybe this is something serious and procrastinating won't make it go away...

BTW, FWIW you should stop and smoking, drinking, caffine, etc. All taht crap can't help a situation.

On another note, I recall hearing about some model whose friend was diagnosed with cancer. She started an exercise regimen and went completely raw vegan. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking- It would be a strech for me too.) Anyway, the cancer went away and has not returned...

Might think about a new change in lifestyle, if it will help you fight whatever it is you've got going on.

I wish you the best of luck. There's a few of us in the area if you need some support.

man, have you seen a doctor about any of the stuff you mentioned? you should have gone like a long time ago!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I had non-hodgkins lymphoma about 5 years ago. I had some of the classic symptoms: fever, night sweats, fatigue, flu like feeling. I didn't drink (much), smoke, exercised regularly. I was 37 at the time. There are no guarantees no matter what you do. I played alot of sports as well. When I couldn't run for more than 90 seconds I knew something was not right. Turns out I had a tumor covering most of my left lung. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am still here today and quite grateful !! My advice would be to get checked out asap. There are benchmarks they use in your bloodwork for lymphoma ... other tests as well. The sooner you address it the sooner you can make things better.

All the best.

Paul