anyone here a fire fighter?

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
well i was talking to my neighbor today who happens to be a fire marshall, and he was telling me about the greatness of being a fire fighter... right now i actually think i am going to go for it... i think im going to give up on engineering for now...

he said i can start off when im 18 retire when im 38 and be set for pretty much the rest of my life... i of course woudnt quit after 20 years, but its a nice thought... and he said that i would work 24 hrs then take 72 off... i like that... and plus the pay (as he was telling me) is really good. he told me that since he would be sponsering me that i would get in and get hired right away

and to make things better they would pay for skewl... 100% for A's, 75% for B's and 50% for C's but nothing for D's...

anyways is there anyone on here that is, and can tell me the disadvantages to being a firefighter?

thanks

-neil

I'm not a firefighter but work with alot of them. Most firefighters I know are very happy with their jobs. Any job where everyday is Friday must be good. Good luck with the testing process.

Mike

Im a Volunteer fireman, and I took the FDNY test too.

If youre into it its the best thing in the world to do. Most of the guys I know on the FDNY say "I still cant believe they pay me to do this!" They love it. Its a brotherhood, a hangout, camraderie, at the highest level. I love my volley dept and the paid dept can only be better....

I'm an Industrial Fire Fighter. We train with the municipal side from all over the country. I think you'll like it, it's very challenging.

fire Fighter

Retired Fire Marshal suburb of Detroit and yes it was a great job.
Rewarding for the right person.

John

Current Fire Marshal........can't think of ever doing anything else. You do this job for the rewards of helping people, not the money.:cool:

im a volley on the jersey shore. my department(long branch) has a paid and volley division, and its all pretty much a brotherhood. there are plenty of politics and stuff, but overall its a good experience. youre lucky if you can get it real quick because around here, there is a waiting list about 3 years long(no exageration) and its civil service so there is no cutting.

yeah the waiting time here is about 2 years but being sponsered by the city i would get right in... i think im going to be heading that route...

-neil

Me too......

I Volunteer for Millington, NJ. It's blast. I' m currently in school for Mechanical Engineering Tech. I blew my first 5 semesters then got suspended for one :rolleyes: and now I'm finally getting my act together so I'm going to stick with it. If getting on a paid dept was an option right now, I'd be there in a heartbeat. there's really nothing else like it.

I HAVE THE GREATEST RESPECT FOR FIREMEN. LIKE THOSE SOLDIERS OVER THERE ON THE FRONT LINES......THEY ARE REAL MEN. THEY DO A DANGEROUS JOB THAT HELPS ALL PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME. I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT FIREMEN. ;)

Florida is VERY deifficult to get hired in...

speaking from experience. When I left the state of FL in '96 there were over 18,000 unemployed ,certified FF's. The competition is unreal. I sat in room taking an entrance test for the city of Tarpon Springs with 400 plus other candidates for TWO jobs. Yeah, that's likely. In FL you have to educate yourself and get the Certificate of Compliance issued out of Ocala. In other words, one has to put themselves through a fire academy somewhere in the state which is a 550 hour course THEN put yourself through EMT school just to be eligable to become hired. It takes significant commitment to do it in FL. In my case I was hired out of state (MA) then had to all of what I mentioned AGAIN because FL and MA or not recipricle states. I don't think to many would go through what I had to to get a job. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't regret it one bit as I sit here and study for my Lieutenant's exam.:) Drew

I am a volunteer not paid but will throw in my .02.

If you love it it is a chance to do what you love and be paid to do it. Very, very few jobs offer that. To do it for the money is a mistake, because firefighters dont get paid that much, at least around here.

Also for the first five years at least, maybe more, your job is at the mercy of budget committees and taxpayers. In MI, and I suspect many other states, the FIRST thing cut every single time in a budget is firefighters and police. Always. Once you get seniority it no prob, but in times like this, with cities and states strapped for cash, it is not a given. Far from it.

Fire Fighter

Retired Fire Marshal suburb of Detroit. To be placed on the
eligibility list you have to have your Fire certification and be a Para-Medic.That is just to get on the list.Turnover is minimal.

How many other jobs are there that people would do voluntarily? Firefighting has to be one of the few professions that people will do for free! Anyone know any volunteer lawyers, dentists, trash collectors or a volunteer cook at McDonalds?

How many other professions allow you to turn sedans into convertibles, bend cars in half, go through 2000 gallons of water per minute and cut holes in roofs with chainsaws:cool: