anyone have pics of a front export brace and or feedback??

GNBlack

I need to see some pics of this item on a car or off please. Also if anyone has heard of this item and if its any good? thank you.

Do you mean export bumper brackets? That are actually 2.5 mph bumper brackets and not "export brackets" or "canadian bumper brackets" as they are commonly referred to.

I'm not familiar with an export brace.

this is the quote i got from the guy selling it.

the front export brace replacesthe big heavy metal beam that bolts to the inside of the bumper. the export brace is a sheet metal piece that takes it place, it knocks off something like 45lb.

i need more feedback on this item and pictures if at all possible. thank you.

those are 2.5 mph bumber brackets. The general consensus is that they came on some 1984 and 1985 US Regals.

The part numbers for these brackets is 25517838 and 25517839
and they used to be $10.12 each when they were available from GM.

When bolting them on, you can no longer use the plastic filler that mounts to the bumper support near the grill, if that matters.

The total weight of the brackets and bolts installed is approximately 6lbs, so they save about 6 lbs over an aluminum bumper bracket. I only have 1986's so I don't know how much they save over a steel support. 45lbs seems like a lot. If I were to guess, I'd say 27lbs, but that's just a guess (A lot better guess than 45lbs would be, though).

Caveats to the install are that a minor impact (more than 2.5 mph) will likely buckle and damage the front bumper, while it won't up to 5 mph with the aluminum supports in place.

I put these on my GN and fit perfect with no ill side effects. I saved the weight of the hardware and the steel inner brace.

I just did this also and you can do the same thing these brackets do my cutting the brackets down small enough to bolt up. I did this on the back and worked fine. I would have done the front also but didn't think of it and bought the brackets of e-bay:(
Call SEturbo they had some fronts there for half the price.
Dan

Major coup!

Hi all.

I have found these parts for CHEAP!

$9.99 ea to be exact. (Plus $6.95 shipping.)

Check out http://www.vintageparts.org/
or

They have 26 of these 25517838.
and
They have 47 of these 25517839.

BTW, don't anyone even think about buying all of these up and selling them for $50 on ebay.:mad:

Re: Major coup!

Originally posted by jsta6
Hi all.

I have found these parts for CHEAP!

$9.99 ea to be exact. (Plus $6.95 shipping.)

Check out http://www.vintageparts.org/
or

They have 26 of these 25517838.
and
They have 47 of these 25517839.

BTW, don't anyone even think about buying all of these up and selling them for $50 on ebay.:mad:

Both parts #'s come up as Bracket RT on their website. Does that mean that they are both for the right side? Do you need 2 for the front and 2 for the rear?

Re: Re: Major coup!

Originally posted by c&cgn
Both parts #'s come up as Bracket RT on their website. Does that mean that they are both for the right side? Do you need 2 for the front and 2 for the rear?

no.

ones right and one is left. They must have put it into the computer incorrectly.

There are only fronts, no rears.

Thanks, UN.

Yes, they must have put them in the computer wrong. Anyway, I will have some in a few days, and I will report back to you...

Originally posted by jsta6
Thanks, UN.

Yes, they must have put them in the computer wrong. Anyway, I will have some in a few days, and I will report back to you...

Cool, I look forward to hearing how they work out.

UNGN, any idea if the fronts will work on the rear? I already have a fg bumper on the front.

FWIW, I don't think that the weight savings is worth it over the aluminum reinforcements.

Since the gas tank is right there, I plan on using the full aluminum reinforcment in the rear...

Got the parts today.

They look like the real deal. Actually look like what I have already done, hacked the ends and middle out of my steel bumper reinforcement...

Anyway, can't go wrong for $9.99 ea...

They still have the "Original GM" stickers on them...

Its a great investment. i found the full bumper at the junkyard with these braces on them, and i just put it on my car, saved about 30 pounds or so, and the big thing is it was saved off the FARTHEST FORWARD POINT of the car, which is even better.

""""When bolting them on, you can no longer use the plastic filler that mounts to the bumper support near the grill, if that matters. """

Well, not if you get the factory setup. if you buy the braces outright, maybe, but when the factory installed em, like mine, they also had a horizontal bar, that was used to bolt this little silver filler that mounts below the grille on the bumper. looks just like my other bumper did.