anyone have info on a TE-50?

stall

You still looking for a stall for your car? I assume you got your tranny fixed? I am only 1 1/2 away from you and have 2 other friends with Buicks. If you need a stall I have gotten an Art Carr 9" non lock 3000 stall in trade and I really don't need it right now(was saving it for a Datsun Z project).

Re: stall

Originally posted by ITSAV6
You still looking for a stall for your car? I assume you got your tranny fixed? I am only 1 1/2 away from you and have 2 other friends with Buicks. If you need a stall I have gotten an Art Carr 9" non lock 3000 stall in trade and I really don't need it right now(was saving it for a Datsun Z project).

Nah, I havent got the tranny fixed yet. I have a cousin that was looking at a t-type that had a te-50 on it, and I didnt know anything about the turbo. So I tried to find info on it, but had no luck. Where are you located in GA? My mom asked me if I would let her pay to have my trans fixed and I told her yes, so I should be getting it done here pretty soon. Im not certain on the stall that im going to run yet. I am still uncertain on the turbo. I thought I wanted a 44, but I really dont know. What would be the next turbo after that one, also what GT turbo would compare or be a little better than a 44?
Thanks
Charles

t

I am just east of Tifton. Never seen a TE50. A TA49 is supposed to be a killer street turbo. I believe the 44 makes more power than a 49. Did you ever talk to the man in Cordelle about your tranny? My bud from Tifton built his own,twice cause the pump was bad and couldn't keep pressures up. Just went to NC and picked a T up with a friend. It has a TE63,55# inj,liquid IC,dual pumps and more. Only has a 2800 stall though,no serious boost till 2nd gear and then your gone!

Re: t

Originally posted by ITSAV6
I am just east of Tifton. Never seen a TE50. A TA49 is supposed to be a killer street turbo. I believe the 44 makes more power than a 49. Did you ever talk to the man in Cordelle about your tranny? My bud from Tifton built his own,twice cause the pump was bad and couldn't keep pressures up. Just went to NC and picked a T up with a friend. It has a TE63,55# inj,liquid IC,dual pumps and more. Only has a 2800 stall though,no serious boost till 2nd gear and then your gone!

I talked with the guy in Cordelle and he was always busy. So I talked to a guy up north. He said that he could do the tranny for 1200 to 1500. How does the car that you guys went and picked up run?
The car my cousin is looking at has the 50 size turbo, and liquid IC, 3000 stall, and some other stuff. What is the deal with liquid IC's, do they work more efficient?

never heard of a TE50. I thought it is 49 then 51. I have a 51. Maybe your talking about the '50 series' turbos which starts with a 51 then to 52, 53 and 54..

TE-50

I have some old literature from ModernMusclecar. It had a reference to a TE-50 turbo. I got the impression that is was a little earlier than the TE-51. If you contacted Mike Litch at Full Throttle Speed he might be able to help.

Oh my, I never thought I hear about one of those again. I had one of the first from Modern Muscle and it had mucho boost control problems with the stock wastegate setup. I had to go external. It ran well but not any better than my buddy's car with a TE-60. It was supposed to be quick spooling and it is but not with the stock wastegate setup. I had an external gate on the crossover. We slapped it on a car with ported heads and then the stock wastegate setup worked fine. I guess the balance of compressor/exhaust was meant for a good flowing set of heads. Something to do with backpressure.

If I remember correctly, there was a shop in Birmingham Al called Majestic that did a 50. I think it was a 49/44 compressor with a bigger T4 turbine (like off a 61, 62 or so).

I remember hearing this before. The TE 50 was originally made by John Meyers. He was the famous pro stock bike racer who owned a turbo shop. He owned a Buick when he died in a street bike accident some time back. This was just before or right when the 50+ series stuff started to come out.

Just to add that Meyers accident was in Alabama. So it looks like Majestic was his shop.

John Meyers old shop was/is called Turbo Specialties not Majestic,its in the Birmingham,AL area.A guy name Reed owns it now and I wouldnt reccomend sending ANY turbo to them.Theyve screwed a quite a few scoobie owners with turbo's that seem to self destruct(just for you flyin GN and RedsHotAir)

John died while riding his Harley at 30mph when he hit a dog.I drove up on the accident as he was being loaded into the ambulance.

John was a great guy who use to come out to the street race's in town alot.Very friendly.Its a shame someone ran his shop into the ground:(

Same guy Reed bought John's old GN and TTA too.