Anyone have/drove the new v8 Impala/Gran Prix

perm01

Considering a new car for the wife and wondering if these cars are imperssive at all.. Any specs on performance?

Other than having the same engine/transmission, these are two entirely different animals. The Impala has torque steer to the extreme. Pontiac took the time to tune most of the objectionable torque steer out of the GP. They are both nice cars but don't expect the power of a stock TR regardless of what the magazines say - you'll be disappointed.

How exactly would a manufacturer tune torque steer out? I assume both vehicles have the same chassis, engine and transmission arrangement.

Scott Atk said:
How exactly would a manufacturer tune torque steer out? I assume both vehicles have the same chassis, engine and transmission arrangement.

They can tune out the torque steer with their traction control software and shock/spring combo. The majority of traditional torque steer is already out of the chassis from unequal halfshafts, etc. Now, the torque steer is from the same reason a buick rear end steps sideways when you get on it: Unequal traction.

Based on what kind of HP you can get with a head/cam swap with a 5.3L (400hp with no increase in trans killing torque), I'll bet money by next summer there will be cars running 110-112 mph in the 1/4 mile. They will be scary sleepers from a roll.

They're already running high 13s with them stock, so I'd say they have the power of a stock turbo buick.

On the note of combatting torque steer, I believe the GXP also has larger tires on the front, 255/45R18's on the front, and 225/50R18's on the rear.

Black Box said:
On the note of combatting torque steer, I believe the GXP also has larger tires on the front, 255/45R18's on the front, and 225/50R18's on the rear.

yeah this is true. They are pretty cool cars as a quick daily for sure.

wow....arguing over if the car's stock or not...WTF, im glad this board isnt like that.

''ooh you dont have a full tank of gas! it's not stock'' shut the **** up gay. that's all i gotta say about that.

-Adam

I had one as a rental last week. I'm not 100% sure it was a new Impala because I don't really keep up on new cars (never plan to buy one), but the one that I had had some balls to it.

Very roomy, cornered nice, good car all in all.

I have an '06 GXP and it does have tires that were built specially for this car - reportedly to combat the torque steer. It must work because like I said before, the GP is far more civilized compared to the Impala in that regard.

As far as being faster than a TR - even a stock TR - not by my scientifically calibrated but-o-meter. Just my opinion based on owning both - you are welcome to yours. It may be true that they make more power, but using it in the 1/4 or from a stop on the street can be a challenge. They just don't seem to be as quick.

The guys that are running the great times with these cars are turning the T/C off and easing into the throttle to avoid having the computer cut the torque back (to save the transmission.) According to the Pontiac forums, the T/C engages if it senses too quick a torque rise even when turned off. The gearing is super high to a point where they are hitting 100 mph at the end of the 1/4 in SECOND gear. I sure would like to see one of these with some lower gears and a stronger transmission - they would be awesome.