Anyone ever hurt their back...

stickybones

What?
...doing something insignificant? :mad:

I hurt my back Saturday mowing the lawn believe it or not. I've mowed the lawn the same way a hundred times before, but this Saturday, somehow, I managed to just twist a little bit giving the mower a push past a shrub and wham! Now I've injured my back before playing hockey and weightlifting, but mowing the lawn! Somebody's got to be kidding me. I'm in good shape too and a young 36.

It's amazing how much it can hurt and how crippling the pain can be a times. I refuse to go to the doctor...just yet. Figured what damage could I have possibly done to myself just giving my back an awkward twist? Figured I'd wait it out for awhile first.

Anyone have any home remedies for getting me back on my feet again? I took the day off of work today because sitting at my desk all day is gonna be murder. I'm gonna have to suc it up tomorrow though. I can't stay home indefinately because of this. One day of inactivity and already I'm going nuts.

And damn...playoffs start this week for my summer beer league hockey league.

Anyway, just moaning since I can't do much else right now.

Mike

Lay flat on the floor (moist heat helps), and just let it heal as much as possible. Once you herniate a disc in anyway, it's forever weaker. And will be more prone to reinjury.
36 is about when alot of guys realise their not 18 anymore :)

I have herianted my L4 and L5 3 times in less than 2 years... I am a powerlifter. I have squatted 860lbs and my back has never been the same. You will just need rest, feet above the heart and stay off your back.... cortizone will help and plenty of rest. My doctor really wants to fuse my 4 and 5 together.. I am only 33 years old! One other thing, don't pinch your Siatic nerve! YOU WILL BE IN AGONY!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

800 mg of ibuprofin every 8 hours will help. Flexoril (a perscription muscle relaxer) is the best for me. And at 36, you ain't young no more. :D

Originally posted by XLR8
And at 36, you ain't young no more. :D

As long as I can skate with the 20somethings right out of college, I'll stupidly consider myself young still.:D

I have lost a step though.

Funny Westside500, I did "pinch" my sciatica a few months ago. I blamed it on not going to the gym anymore but still playing hockey. (Always had an excuse to not go including convincing myself that just playing hockey would keep me in shape.) I also felt weaker and slower on the ice. Decided to head back to the gym. Within 2 weeks of lifting again, my sciatica stopped bothering me. Work around the house and on the cars kept me out of the gym again and now this. Maybe I'll learn my lesson this time and as soon as the back feels good again, I'll head back to the gym and try to get back into a normal routine.

Guess you didn't see my recent thread I started!

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133285

Ironically, mine was actually feeling pretty decent yesterday, a week and a day after I first blew it out . Sooo, decided to mow the lawn. Bad move, was killing me all day today. My hottie chiropractor did some more work on me this afternoon. The pain is almost worth it.:D

I wouldn't recommend getting on the floor as I was stuck there for quite a while when I did so. Also went to a job interview last week and had to hide the pain. Must have worked as they offered me the job. Am I going to take it? That's another thread.:rolleyes:

You are probably going to be hurting for a while believe me. I'm a young 48 BTW.:)

No Mark I didn't see that thread.

Misery has company once again. :(

Your pain sounds much like mine. After sitting for awhile, getting up kills.

Hope you're feeling better. For now, I'll just imagine your chiropractor working me over.:D

Mike

I first hurt my back when I was kneeling down working and twisted around to my right to pick up my tool bag - it hit me like a hammer I could not get up for 30 minutes! I wasn't being a puss either it was the most extreme pain I have ever felt when I would try to move.

I ended up going to a Chiropractor - they are miracle workers and I think some of them get off causing people pain when they first come in. I woulda knocked my second one out if I could of gotten up by myself. They have to make the muscle relax before they can adjust it and to make it relax, they have to put pressure on it... a lot of pressure.

I knocked it out again about 6 months later and went to see another bone cracker. Same thing - they can work wonders with just a few adjustments.

I agreed with my doctors when they said not to take any type of pain killer or muscle relaxer - because the pain is your body's way of saying "don't do that" and if you feel ok, you will just unknowingly do more damage. They both did however, reccommend using an anit-inflamatory to help with swelling along with alternating heat and cold.

I would definitely suggest a chiropactor - I have seen most are very reasonable and can do a first visit with Xrays and adjustment all for 40-60 bucks. Following visits were like 15-35 bucks.

Good luck!

Vic

Been going through back and shoulder pain again this time for about a 3 week spell. This chiropractor has done a great job and uses the latest in laser treatments. Cannot believe in the immediate the improvement and lessening of pain.

He also said to use ice packs at 15 minute intervals every hour. Works for me fortunately.

Get well soon!:)

I broke my back racing motocross about five years ago. Felt like I got hit by a wrecking ball!:eek: Hope you feel better. Maybe you should mix alchohol with your pain killers?;)

Hey SB, There are a lot of good remedies here. First thing I would do is go get diagnosed by an Osteopath (I'm not real big on chiroqackers). You may have only tweaked a muscle.

mike your not alone, i kneeled over to tie my boots while working when i went to stand up i was disabled i was in such pain i feel hit some pipes with my head and was out cold, when i woke back was sore hurt to walk,
here's what i did --3 days of rest and alot of ben gay and i was only 27 at the time so i really don't think age was a huge factor i was told it was just a bad movement, tried to get up too fast did you try to get up fast?

carlos

If you think your body is as limber, and able to absorb punishment at 36 as well as it did at 18, you've just not been injured bad enough.
Denile about getting old is common place.

Muscle gives the skelton support. The ligaments, discs, cartalige all get harder, with age. Joints do wear out, etc.. While muscle helps to min damage to the skelton, it can also give one false security in thinking one's invincible.

Originally posted by bruce
If you think your body is as limber, and able to absorb punishment at 36 as well as it did at 18, you've just not been injured bad enough.
Denile about getting old is common place.

Muscle gives the skelton support. The ligaments, discs, cartalige all get harder, with age. Joints do wear out, etc.. While muscle helps to min damage to the skelton, it can also give one false security in thinking one's invincible.
Very well put!!

I hurt my back a few years ago and as a matter of fact I turned wrong working in the garage Monday am going to the doctor today. Hopefully he'll take pity on me and give me some Lortabs and/or muscle relaxers. It feels like someone is sticking a knife in my back and twisting it....:eek:

Originally posted by no-nos
did you try to get up fast?

I was never down. I simply twisted my upper body to push my lawn mower past a shrub.

I don't feel like so much of a wuss knowing others have been hurt like this doing something real simple.

And Bruce, I'm not in denial. I recognize that I'm not a teenager anymore, but I think it was Steve Wood who said "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Remember I hurt my back this time mowing the lawn...not getting crunched by a 200lb hockey player.

My advice would be go to a doctor ASAP and find out if it is a muscle or a spinal thing. I have three herniated disc and degenerated vertebrae in my lower back because I always thought it would heal itself. Living with pinched nerves and trying to maintain what you used to be able to do is frustrating. When you get to the point you lose use of your limbs from it, you know you waited too long.

In case nobody knows I am a Chiropractor and you guys are always welcome to give me a call or e-mail for advice. 330-726-7404 is my office #, www.advchiro.com.

No heat it will make it worse with a new injury ICE 20 min max. once an hour.

IBU is good for the first two weeks beyond that is actually slows the healing process. Be careful with muscle relaxants, muscle spasm happens for a reason

What you do with it in the first week to two weeks is critical so don't just lay around thinking it'll "go away on it's own". it won't so go see a Doctor.

Chiro's are physcians and generally have a better understanding of spinal conditions than most primary care physicians. If you have a serious problem requiring medical attention they can are qualified to make necessary referals, tests etc. Not all Chiro's are created equally so chose wisely. Depending on where you are I maybe able to help.
Chris Lyons

I agree with the good DOC ( Turbobuick) never use heat always use ice. I also like this stuff called Bio Freeze its like Ben Gay but 100 times better.

Go to a good chiropracter they work wanders on my back

Good luck