Anyone ever blew a commetic?

SPOT MY 6

Stock crawlin National...
I have .054 commetics on my motor. Noticed that I had two head studs leaking water (both lower studs by the #6 cylinder) after I put the motor back together in the spring. I threw a few seal tabs in the coolant and it slowed the leak down so I went to the track. The car felt incredibly lazy and only went a 1.44 60'. Everything on the BS3 looked safe/normal. I did a compression test when I got home and found the #6 hole only has 35psi of compression (the same hole by the leaky studs). The rest of the cylinders had 145.

I know people say that "you'll blow the bottom end apart before you blow a commetic" but the motor (mechanically) is fine. The heads were freshened in August and milled flat. I put the commetics on then, removed them this winter to freshen the short (rings/bearings) and put them back on the motor for this year (they appeared to be ok so I reused them). Maybe they didn't sit right when they were re-installed? I cleaned them up good and used copper spray on both sides before reinstalling. I doubt I have a cracked ring or lifted a ring land but just curious if its even possible to blow the gasket. Im debating pulling the motor or just the head.....

Been there...

SPOT MY 6 said:
......I know people say that "you'll blow the bottom end apart before you blow a commetic" ............

That may be true for a 14 bolt head, but I have replaced Cometics that have "blow out" just like any other head gasket.

With an 8 bolt head, it will actually lift, or deform, and eventially blow through with enough detonation.

Well I pulled the heads and put new commectics on. Compression test is good now (145-155) so Im back in business. I can not see anything wrong with the gaskets I took off though so I wont be reusing head gaskets ever again. Time to go do some wheelies..... :D

SPOT MY 6 said:
Well I pulled the heads and put new commectics on. Compression test is good now (145-155) so Im back in business. I can not see anything wrong with the gaskets I took off though so I wont be reusing head gaskets ever again. Time to go do some wheelies..... :D
Could you see an area where the compresion was blowing by on your old gasket?

Nick Micale said:
That may be true for a 14 bolt head, but I have replaced Cometics that have "blow out" just like any other head gasket.

With an 8 bolt head, it will actually lift, or deform, and eventially blow through with enough detonation.

here are some from the collection

Attachments

• blown.JPG
    blown.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 189
  • blown1.JPG
    blown1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 183