anyone else suffer from this compulsion?(kinda long read)

jamesgs4

ok kinda long story here goes.
it all started when i saved up a little dough, and wanted to buy a car to replace my very beat up 88 caprice classic wagon(i know, but its all i had). my best friend(or enabler) showed me an ad on craigslist...whats craigslist?? cool!!a 71 camaro in my price range 5 mins from my house!!!sweet!! bought it the same day($2500), brought my son with me to pick it up because its was going to be his one day. drove it around for 6 mos or so, collecting parts, getting it ready for a paint job.

one day, my little bro wrecked my moms 94 toyota pickup, and i told her ill fix it, then she gave it to me...i was just minding my own business, checking c.l. for parts and what not, and whaddaya know, a 72 cutlass supreme for $1000!! perfect! now i have something cool to drive while the camaro is down. bought it the next day. now i have a cutlass yaay! now to find some parts for it on c.l. guess what i find? a 72 cutlass s with a rod knock for even cheaper!! the girl didnt know what to ask for it, so i told her the junk yard would give her about 200, so i gave her 300. (i'm at 4 cars now, sold the wagon for 250). the cutlass was too nice to strip, so i put it in storage for a future 455 transplant.

a couple of months later, some teenage chick decides to smash into my camaro outside my house, totaling it AND my toyota pickup(that i just fixed) parked in front of it. sad day. put the wrecked camaro in storage, and i took some of the insurance money and bought a clean 68 firebird for cheap($2k) off c.l.(too good to pass up)sold my 88 mustang 5.0 that i just picked up from little bro when he threw a rod, and stuck the firebird in the garage.

craigslist again!! this time a 70 mustang coupe with light rear damage for 700, then a 65 chevy stepside(minus engine) for 200. next a 71 chevelle for 1400, and a 70 olds 98 convert for the smooth running 455 in it. now my storage spaces are full, and i only drive the cutlass and chevelle, and i bought another truck, a 52 chevy stakebed 3/4 ton to haul around the 3 engines i bought off of c.l!!

And now i want a turbo regal!! i wont buy a TR until i have a garage space for it. but in the mean time i've been eyeballing a turbo starion for cheap to save gas, and to drive while i drop the 455's into the cuttys, and get the tranny rebuilt in the chevelle(makes a squeaky noise since i got stuck in a snowdrift, but it still drives fine). should i swear off of craigslist? what does one man do with 8 freaking cars? sheesh!!and i want another, and another, and another......it never ends!!!..

b.t.w im a single dad, so maybe without a woman to keep us in check, we car guys would all have junkyards in front of our houses(and backyards, and in front of the neighbors house etc..)

please post your similar stories(so i know im not alone lol)

rofl.this is basically my life story. hell, i still have the iroc i bought in high school,drove it three days and then parked it for the rest of its life. i did drive it one summer about six years ago. not bad,in 17 years i have put about 2100 miles on it. i am on my 3rd set of tires cause they constanly dryrot from not driving.i currently have four other cars and just bought my first grand national.

First off cheif let me congratulate you on being a single dad, STAND UP STUFF RIGHT THERE!!! Second, I have often wondered if I needed some type of intervention on several occasions as I too believe that I am addicted to cars or maybe it is just my A.D.D. kicking. I am easily distracted by interesting cars and just down right loony when they are priced right. It is almost as if I cannot help myself. I know I don't need it but somehow I try and justify it in my mind even when I have other stuff to be working on. It is a sickness, I have been thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Center!!! :eek: Just know that you are not alone bro.

Jim C.

When you have so many parts that you have trails between the parts in your home, THEN I would say you would need an intervention. Until then at least you are working on them. I say if you are having fun keep going.

My last toy was a 2000 Camaro SS.

I bought the car in Oct 2005, drove it one time to work (12 miles total), put the car in storage for the winter and sold the car before spring. I didn't even know how to put the convertible top down...:eek:

The wife about flipped after that sale...

Need more cars disease

Hell yes! times 2!! I tend to collect more than I sell. I'm working on the selling part though.:( I've got to make room to work on the ones I have now.:biggrin:

I don't see a problem :eek:

Attachments

• driveway.JPG
    driveway.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 118
Before I was married, I had a house that I put a 6' privacy fence around the backyard with a drive through gate at the alley so I could store the cars I bought at Police auctions, Thrifty Nickel, etc.

Wives usually frown on that type of thing, however.

Even so, with the stupid prices musclecar junk sells for on e-bay, my backyard junkyard was worth more than I paid for the house.

Before I was married, I had a house that I put a 6' privacy fence around the backyard with a drive through gate at the alley so I could store the cars I bought at Police auctions, Thrifty Nickel, etc.

Wives usually frown on that type of thing, however.

Even so, with the stupid prices musclecar junk sells for on e-bay, my backyard junkyard was worth more than I paid for the house.

you mean something like this ?? :eek:

Attachments

• Cobrawalkin.jpg
    Cobrawalkin.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 114
you mean something like this ?? :eek:

No I mean real junk. Like '68 road runners and '70 Panther pink barracudas.

If I had that it wouldn't be in my back yard. I would have polished it and put it in the dining room.

once again it happens!!! i am going to pick up a 54 bel-air tomorrow that i found on c.l of course haha