Anyone Else Had This Problem???

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
My steering wheel is real loose. The section that comes out of the dash is tight but the piece after that rotates around almost like its telescopic. I am going to pull off the steering wheel sometime tommorrow(I ain't a mechanic so don't be surprised if there is another post on "How do I put my steering wheel back on" :D ) is there anything I should be looking for??? I'm not even going to get into the key being stuck in the ignition!!!! :rolleyes:

Very common problem, there's four bolts that losen up by the tilt mechanism. It's a bit of a pain and you'll need the right tools. If you have never taken a steering column apart this may be something you want to get professional help with.

HTH,
Steve

TTA850 said:
Very common problem, there's four bolts that losen up by the tilt mechanism. It's a bit of a pain and you'll need the right tools. If you have never taken a steering column apart this may be something you want to get professional help with.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for the input TTA850 I had made up my mind not to tackle this one on my own. Very limited on tools and mechanical ability so I figured I'm not even going to try. Sometimes I make the right decision....hope this doesn't break the bank :eek: LOL!

tilt column

Hi,
As said, there are 4 bolts that mount the support to the column tube, and you have to strip it down for access. You would be amazed how many little parts are in there, so it's best that you let one with some experience do it, 3 specialty tools also required. I charge 2- 2.5 hours labor at standard shop rate; should not be over $150 or you are getting ripped. No parts usually needed, however, you know how that can go. Good luck!

I was in a similar boat. My steering wheel was rotted. so I got a replacement. wasn't long into it that I relised I was over my head. cost $95.00 to let someone else deal with it. Well worth it in my book.

Ken

83ttypecooled said:
Hi,
As said, there are 4 bolts that mount the support to the column tube, and you have to strip it down for access. You would be amazed how many little parts are in there, so it's best that you let one with some experience do it, 3 specialty tools also required. I charge 2- 2.5 hours labor at standard shop rate; should not be over $150 or you are getting ripped. No parts usually needed, however, you know how that can go. Good luck!

Why can't you live closer to me!!!! Lol I was just quoted 4 hrs to repair, so I guess I should just grab my ankles and prepare :eek: :frown:

Buy a factory manual.

Remove it from thecar and follow the steps.

Hardest part is keeping everything in order and not losing any bearings. If u can do that you should be able to do this in a day or two tops even if your not mechanically inclined.

Those of us that are blessed spend an afternoon or evening doing it

later
Jeremy