Anyone done a comparison of Torco Accelerator vs Toluene/Xylene

J-Rod

Been some discussion on the Vette site about how superior Torco is. The Torco stuff is fairly pricey $125 per 5 gallons ($25 gallon) vs $5-$7 gallon for Toluene/Xylene.

Has anyone got an MSDS safety sheet on Torco?

I'm just curious if folks know specifically what is in it?

Have folks seen it as an additive to be superior to Toluene/Xylene when mixing it with pump gas?

Any issues with Torco creating deposits in the chambers, or on o2 sensors like MMT?

For that price you might as well just buy GT100.

I use the Torco.

You can't really compare it apple to apples against toluene on cost. It boosts the octane a lot higher than Toluene. Just 32 ounces in 10 gallons of 93 gives you 104 octane. That is according to the bottle, of course, but my knock counts don't lie. 1 32 ounce can in my tank doesn't knock at 19psi, which normally takes 100 octane no-lead to pull off.

You would have to put four gallons of Xylene or Toluene and six gallons of gas in to get that octane.

As for what is in it, it is Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl, otherwise known as MMT. It will damage catalytic convertors over long periods of time, it is very poisonous, and it will turn your plugs orange.

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
I use the Torco.

Just 32 ounces in 10 gallons of 93 gives you 104 octane. That is according to the bottle, of course

That would calculate out to an octane rating of 324 for the Torco! Not saying it doesn't work but for $25/gal for Torco I can buy 6.25 gallons of 100UL or 4.75 gallons of 118!

Originally posted by XLR8
That would calculate out to an octane rating of 324 for the Torco! Not saying it doesn't work but for $25/gal for Torco I can buy 6.25 gallons of 100UL or 4.75 gallons of 118!

Torco really doesn't have an octane rating of its own. It is a non-linear booster like TEL.

What that means is 32oz of Torco added to 15 gallons gives you 98 octane, added to 10 gallons and you get 104, but added to 5 gallons, it is only 107. It doesn't mix linearly like Toluene.

And again on the price comparison, with that single gallon of Torco, you can make 20 gallons of 104, or 30 gallons of 98 octane. If you take the 104 octane example and assume $2/gal 93 octane pump, that comes out to $3.25/gal.

I use the Torco.

<snip>

As for what is in it, it is Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl, otherwise known as MMT. It will damage catalytic convertors over long periods of time, it is very poisonous, and it will turn your plugs orange.

Bummer!! I've seen just how damaging MMT can be to the pistons after tearing my engine down. I wouldn't wish that stuff on my worst enemy. !!

Originally posted by TurboDave
Bummer!! I've seen just how damaging MMT can be to the pistons after tearing my engine down. I wouldn't wish that stuff on my worst enemy. !!

Dave, can you elaborate?

Originally posted by XLR8
Dave, can you elaborate?

Yes, please. Only thing I've been able to find about MMT is the orange residue on the plugs and an unconfirmed possibility that it can damage catalytic convertors (of which I have none) over long periods of time.

What kind of damage did you see?

Originally posted by J-Rod
So, you're sure its MMT? Do you have an MSDS sheet on it?

No, the MSDS doesn't make it all the way to the customer, but it turns your plugs orange, just like MMT does.

I agree, MMT does turn your plugs orange. Just wondering if anyone had anyhting definitive. I do thanks you for your input though.

Yes, please. Only thing I've been able to find about MMT is the orange residue on the plugs and an unconfirmed possibility that it can damage catalytic convertors (of which I have none) over long periods of time.

What kind of damage did you see?

The orange residue on the plugs isn't the only problem. If allowed to build long enough, it will start causing plug fouling.
And of course, what I was refering to is the same orange residue builds on the piston top (no it's NOT easy to remove). It won't come off with traditional decarbonizing methods. It also builds up nicely on the cylinder wall above the top ring.

The piston changes color, $6.00 for new plugs, so what? that's not really any big drawback. My pistons could be a rainbow for all I care. As long as thats all, just a color change.

I think the problem is more like how MUCH residue??? If it builds up that's BAD.

Here's a genious marketing ploy: Design the additive product so that the MMT builds up over time, so that the combustion volume decreases, driving up compression ratio. This in turn will require the use of more and more additive, which will build up more and more which......