Anyone do muffler testing or single vs. dual?

Intercooler

If I end up hacking my exhaust off the car this weekend for CrazyGN I will need something new to put in its place. I know the Flowmasters I had aren't viewed as the best and I agree. Anyone do backpressure tests of various mufflers? What is the latest on the best flowing exhaust single vs. dual? I didn't realize a new exhaust system could be so costly. I was thinking of buying a single muffler and 4 bolt plate and have someone bend a single shot to fit. Who sells the plate in stainless?

Jesse,
I don't know about stainless stuff, but try Midway Muffler in Elsemere. They come very well recommended around here. They're the guys whom I'm having flare & weld my homemade IC pipes. And oh yea... cash talks there.

If you're gonna buy new, I'd get a 3" ATR single shot. Just pray it fits!!

Later,
-Banning.

we have both on a few of my cars....singles are loud an droney (IMHO:eek: ) just make sure its mandrel bent for the best flow

I'm running a Jack Cotton 3" single shot with a 3 chamber flowmaster and it is still a little on the loud side, could imagine how loud it would be with the Race Magnum that came with it. I put one of those Vortex cone inserts into my test pipe to quiet it down a bit and it seemed to help but only a little bit. I didn't care about the back pressure issue as I just open up the electric exhaust cutout when I want to really get on it.

The GS-XTRA publication has had several articles on mufflers and exaust systems. Walker mufflers got the vote in one of the articles. ATR systems have been noted Okay but expensive.

Talk to Keith Mease. He is located in South Jersey and can pretty much make you whatever you want. If you are simply looking for the 4 bolt plate in Stainless, he can probably make one up for you. Give him a call 609-518-8917.

Jesse,

Alot of good things have been said about a Ultra Flow muffler with a single shot 3" system. I am going with this set up. Make sure that you get mandrel bent pipe.