Anyone daily drive their TR in the winter?

BlackBuick84

What's a turbo?
Just like the title says....but before you people from like florida, an texas, an california chime in, i mean drive it in the winter when there's tons of salt an slush on the road w/ below freezing temperatures. I wouldnt think traction would be a problem if you've got good tires an drive inteligently. I'm wondering what the drawbacks are to driving em in crappy weather.

wife drove a new TTA for 7-8 years an lots of "T"s ...we run good snow tires.... Melissa had a Limited T that was a winter beater... she ran 13.0s @ 115 in winter trim (snow tires) :p

I did it. I wintered over in Saratoga Springs, NY.
I wouldn't do it again, if you don't have to. Traction was rough, even with brand new BFG Radial's.
Also, the winter was hard on the wiring, and I had a slew of STRANGE problems that I didn't think could happen, but they did (My windshield wiper fell off, not the blade, the whole wiper. Of course, it was raining).

I never drive my GN even in the rain either. But thats because i have a nice daily driver. But after I sell the 84 i have now, I could sell my daily driver an get a different TR, the only thing stopping me from getting another one an driving that full time are the extreme Chicago winters. Chances are I couldnt afford a winter beater since my income is minimal. But driving a GN or whatever in snow an salt wouldnt be my first choice if I could avoid it.

back when i first got my car (age 16) i daily drove mine in the winter to high school...i did this for about 2 years until i finally moved into a house with a garage and then i got a second vehicle when i started working...my car accumulated some rust under the door trim inside, most of the frame areas are a little rusted...my rear end and axle assemblies rusted...front suspension is rusted, and some of the gas lines underneath are touched with a bit of rust...my stock driveshaft got lots of rust but that was replaced just recently...other than that the body didn't get any rust at all on it because i always washed the salt off my car as soon as i could...if you drive yours in the salt and snow be sure you wash the salt off pronto...otherwise it will eat away at the body for sure...now my GN sees only nice days and occassional rain but water isn't such a big deal if you have wax on your car...

I did it thru a really nasty KC winter years ago... got rust within a year after. Sucks.

Car drove fine thru DEEP snow but broke my IC scoop. Oops. Had some trouble on inclines from a stop!

When you have a good winter, the carwashes wash the salt fine but the water freezes again right away which sucks to. Also most folks depending on their job may not want to lay in the slop at the CarWash on their way home to wash stuff off everyday.

As a vehicle it will (should) do fine. Its just hard on it.

Shawn

bottom line "it's just a car" :p I couldnt afford a new TTA in 89 just to let sit. the only way I could have it (wellll the wife bought it) was to let the wife use it as a daily driver...I'd rather beat them to death than not have em at all :cool: ...the way I look at it I am makin cars people can restore years down the road.

I drove mine for three years straight and then parked it for about 9 months. For the three uears I was driving it I had the usual maintenance stuff. After I parked and would want to drive it seemed to be more problematic. It was starting to rust a little prior to my buying it so I new that I wasn't buying a show car and had no intention of buying a show car. I wanted a car I could drive. I didn't commute that far so I never really had any issues with driving it through any weather. Just like any other rear wheel drive car you just have to be careful.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
most of the frame areas are a little rusted...my rear end and axle assemblies rusted...front suspension is rusted, and some of the gas lines underneath are touched with a bit of rust...my stock driveshaft got lots of rust but that was replaced just recently...
That's where a leaky rear main seal is our friend. A thin film of 10W-30 on the undercarriage does wonders for rust protection. :p

My GN is originally a Jersey car where it spent the first 4 years of it's life as an all-season daily driver. It's been in TN ever since but still an all-season daily driver for the most part. I do try to use the wagon in more inclement weather now but during our worst snow fall this past winter it was graced with a space-saver spare on the back from a blowout.

I slipped and slid to work in the GN in 4-5 inches of snow with rather bald Yokohamas on the back. :D

Anyhow, since it has that nasty factory undercoating on it, that seems to have helped keep the rust at bay underneath. That and the engine oil. :)

My T was never winter driven and it shows, no rust underneath and bolts that undo like magic.

Before I bought it I looked at a number of winter driven ones and they all had the famous G-Body frame rot above the axle. One car was the rustiest thing I have ever seen anywhere period, it was really sad. G-Bodies are crappy rust belt cars.

If you need a brand new set of Firestone snows mounted on GN wheels, I've got them for sale. Make offer. ;)

How bout $20?:)
The more I think about it, the more I wanna find a 86/87 for a daily driver after I sell my 84(which will hopefully be soon). The offer stands on the snow tires;)

I've driven mine through 2 pretty rough winters. One thing that sucks is that the light surface rust on the d.s. quarter turned into a golf ball size hole:( . Also I screwed around alot, but I think that helps improve driving ability. The first winter was with the stock turbo the second was with the TE44. I think the stock turbo was actually more fun.

Just dont do a doughnut in front of a cop in a parking lot at 2:30 AM like I did. The cop made me get out of the car and he yelled at me alot. Threatened to give me a wreckless op., but he let me go. Didn't they tell us in driver's ed to go to a deserted parking lot to get a feel for a car in the snow anyway?

OK! I'll take that offer for the snow tires. Of course, shipping will be right at $190. Let me know.