Anybody ever break a FP gauge??

QwuickTurbo6

I've been seeing some crazy fuel system problems lately. The car would lose fuel pressure and die while driving only to fire back up and run fine if I waited ten minutes or so. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and hotwire. Then I noticed my autometer gauge was showing zero psi as soon as I turned the car off, and it would take a few minutes to show 40 psi after the car was running. Ended up replacing the afpr and even the gas tank as the lining was coming off the tank and I thought it might clog the pump pick-up. Now my gauge shows zero psi while starting the car, doesnt respond quickly to boost, and shows zero after the car is off. It even starts gaining psi after the car has been off a while sometimes! The weird thing is the gauge worked perfect right before all these problems started. Do these things break or do I still have a problem like a leaking injector or something?

Mechanical or electrical gauge? Sounds like you got some junk in your fuel rail or hose to the gauge..

Bryan

Its mechanical mounted on the hood. That sounds like an easy fix except where the AN fitting goes on to the end of the fuel rail im pretty sure those threads are screwed from my installation....makes me super nervous about taking it off and having the fuel rail leak

Its mechanical mounted on the hood. That sounds like an easy fix except where the AN fitting goes on to the end of the fuel rail im pretty sure those threads are screwed from my installation....makes me super nervous about taking it off and having the fuel rail leak
I had two AN fittings fail. First one lasted a year, second one lasted a week. I don't think they are made for high pressure fuel injection but I could be wrong. Anyway I bought a stainless steel one from this place and it has been good for about a year so far. http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/cat...on_id=f4bd1c860bf35e2543bbeed490d5c871&LINE=1

First try crimping the return line, and turn off the engine, to see how the gauge responds. If it responds the same, one or more injectors could be leaking.
(Insure there is "0" pressure in the fuel rail.)
Try removing the line from the gauge and sticking it in a small gas can and have someone turn on the key for a few seconds, it may clear the rail and hose of any debris. then remove the gauge and use low pressure air to try and clear any thing out of the gauge. Re-assemble and start it back up till normal pressure.

A leaking injector is not good.

If you are referring to the "lining", as the tank sealer that's used in old tanks, it's time to clean everything from the new tank forward...

If the lining was coming apart in the old tank and you replaced the tank there is a good chance you may have plugged up an injector with junk from the old tank. Release the pressure in the system, pull off the clean side of the fuel filter (going to motor, not from the tank) and see if the fuel is clean and free of debris. If there is debris on the clean side, you will need to clean the line, and I would pull the rail, injectors, and your fuel pressure gauge and clean it all out well.

At the minimum, do what someone else said and either disconnect the gauge and put the end in a bucket while someone turns on the key - if gunk comes out... pull the rail, etc.. A stuck injector could really make you have a bad day.

Oh, and please do not smoke while doing any of the above... ;)

Billy