Any Welders?

george_dude

I'm just getting started in tig welding and i'm looking for a welder, i'm not shure what i should buy. i guess the two determining factors are what i'm going to use it for and how much i want to spend.
I plan on using it in my garage (single phase) on race car stuff, cages, frames, and thinner aluminum.
Also, once in a while it would be nice if i could weld thicker aluminum for projects at work, jigs, fixtures, and possibly lower quantity production. Not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice.
I'm looking to spend under $1,500. For new welders that limits me to the lower end tig machines.
Does a guy like me need a newer welder (syncrowave or squarewave) with all the bells and whistles?
Will an older dial-arc or idealarc do the trick?
Should i stick to only miller and lincoln?

let me know what you think.
george

I bought a Lincoln Synchrowave 275 late last year. The water cooled tip and pulser are a must have in my opinion. For $1500 bux you might opt for a small mig welder with a tig attachement. I have a picture of imy 275 in the bed of my Chevy on my website. It started raining when I pulled in the driveway with it. Had to let all the air out of the tires to get the truck and welder in the garage. Definitely a sight to see : ) Good luck...Scott

If you can save up around 2200.00

The dynasty 200 is a great welder. It has more bells and whistles, like a pulser,sequencer,adjustable frequency {mainly for aluminum}, and to top it all off you can plug it into a 110 or 220 outlet whithout having to change a thing. I forgot to mention that it only weighs 43 pounds. The amp draw is 31 amps at it's peak.

Look on e-bay if your looking for a used welder. You can find fantastic deals on syncrowave 250,300,350, you name it and it can be found. Lincoln squarewave machines are a good find as well. The only problem with any transformer design tig welder {synchrowaves {miller} or squarewaves {lincoln} and the older welders is the main line amp draw is big}

Try to get into the newer squarewave technology, it's not so much for doing steels, it's for the aluminum where the squarewave technology shines.

If your looking for an inverter-type tig welder, take a look at thermadyne. They have the Prowave 185, which is priced very competitively.

Also take a look at the Hobart Welding message board: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ There is a lot of useful info there.

..Mike

hey blackplague is the $2200 for just the power supply or the whole setup?
and mikey, what's very competitively priced? i can't find pricing any where on thermalarc.

george

geroge

The 2200 price was on ebay the last time i looked. They have them all over the place on ebay and that's the buy now price. 2200 was complete with torch, foot pedal, regulator, and possibly a stinger {for arc welding}. I think all you have to do is add a cylinder of argon.