Any way to have the ECM work *both* cooling fans?

Gokou

Question is as the topic... I'm flipping through my wiring diagram trying to find the best way to do this. To the best of my knowledge, the ECM controls the driver's side fan, and the passenger side fan is controlled by both the CTS (on at 208 degrees) and by the A/C relay (PS fan is on when A/C is on). My problem is the driver's side fan by itself can't keep up, and with the A/C off in traffic I see 190-195F from time to time, which seems to be the best that the single fan can do. If I turn the A/C on my engine temps drop a bit because the PS fan turns on. So, what I'd like to do is a little wiring so that the ECM turns on both fans (rather than just the driver's side) which will hopefully keep my temps a little lower.

Also, I may be reading the shop manual incorrectly, but is 1 fan a lo speed and 1 fan a high speed, or do both fans have hi/lo speeds?

Has anyone done this? I'd like to hear from someone else before I go jumpering relays, but if no one has done it, guess I'll go dive in and post the results :p

Looking at the schematic, both fan relays are fed +12 all the time and are engaged by connecting the other side of the relay coil to ground. Depending on what does the switching, the relay coil can be grounded by either the ECM, A/C pressure switch, VSS, CTS, and multiple combinations of the above under certain conditions. It appears that if I were to run a jumper and tie both relays together at terminal F on each relay, when one relay is turned on it would ground the other relay as well, turning both fans on simultaneously.

Comments?

Back before I had my TTA, I had an 87 Formula 350, and I did this to the fans. Ran it that way for 3 or 4 years before I got rid of it and it worked perfectly, exactly how you described. I can't remember exactly which wires I jumpered, but I believe it was the grounds, as you say. I'd actually been thinking about doing this lately too.