Any Tips for Replacing Original Brake Hoses?

HyperV6

I'm going to replace my original rubber brake hoses with a set of Teflon lined Stainless braided hoses from Classic Tube. Any tips on removing the original brake hoses? I've been soaking the fittings with PB Blaster to hopefully help the steel lines and the rubber hoses come apart. The steel lines and rubber hose fittings have been covered with undercoat almost their entire life. The fittings actually look almost new after I cleaned the undercoat off. I'm most concerned with the removing the rear steel line from its rubber hose.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Craig

I'm most concerned with the removing the rear steel line from its rubber hose.
Just got mine done. Undercoated doesn't help much, as the area that the fitting/retainer clip is in, holds dirt, water. I spent well over an hr w/ wire brush, BP Blaster, a visegrip, propane mini torch, and a line wrench.
I had soaked the fitting for a couple weeks, then gave it a try.
The issue is not the fitting to the hose, but the fitting rusting to the tube. Found same thing on the axle lines. I just cut them, and made new.
I pulled the retainer clip, clamped the visegrip on the metal end of the hose. I then warmed the tube nut w/ the torch, and while hot, worked it back and forth. Eventually, it came loose. Repeated doses of Blaster washed the crud out, and the nut spins freely.
Watch to be sure you don't twist the tube! Changing that long line is a biatch...

Chuck, did you open the bleed screw when you heated the nut? I realize you would be flushing and replacing the fluid anyway.

Chuck, did you open the bleed screw when you heated the nut? I realize you would be flushing and replacing the fluid anyway.

Nope.... the wheel cyls were being replaced, too. I used heat on the main fitting on the frame, only

My rear flex line is stuck. I want to replace it with a stainless braided line but don't want the job turning into a project so I keep putting it off. Lol

Did mine last fall, fronts were a breeze with a bit of heat. The back one was a prick, awkward to get at and be prepared to replace the wheel cylinder lines if never done.

I just replaced mine with SS breaded

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    965.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158