Any thing special in doing a tune up?

Xvetteowner

I'm new owner of a turbo V-6 ( 1987 WE4 85k miles ) I would like to tune it up. Is it just plugs, wires, fuel filter and setting the timing? The last owner said the engine has a better fuel pump, 36 Pound injectors, No cat, KN air filter and larger tubo pipe. Fuel pressure is 40 psi at idle. What do I set the timing to and how? Do I do anything to the TPS?.. Chevys,Pontiacs I know but this engine is all new. Thanks for any help.

look at "spring cleaning" on gntype.org
you don't set timing, it's controlled by ecm/chip.
you need a scan tool.

What he said...;)

There was a small typo... It's Turbo Regal Web Site

Follow the spring cleaning and at least find yourself a scanmaster 2.1. You can find them new and used on our "parts for sale" section or check with one of the many vendors. (You'll find these at the very bottom of the webboard)

Other things to consider:
maybe run a little seafoam through to clean everything up. I use it on all my cars. Also, there's an EGR filter, a charcoal canister filter, O2 sensor, PCV... if you want to cover it all...

If the valve springs have not been changed, might consider this as well.

Also, while it's not exactly a quick tune up item, you may want to drop the oil pan and check for debris... If you search there are horror stories about stock style timing chain gears with the nylon teeth breaking. Mind you there are many GN's with stock timing sets and they are perfectly fine. I prefer to swap out to a double roller and avoid any issues. It's fairly cheap and not too hard to do. (I actually discovered a worn chain when inspecting one of my cars and swapping it made a huge difference!)

Also, while it's not exactly a quick tune up item, you may want to drop the oil pan and check for debris... If you search there are horror stories about stock style timing chain gears with the nylon teeth breaking.

timing.jpg