Any stereo/receiver Experts (Onkyo)

chadly

My current Onkyo Integra Tx-88 in no longer functioning. I used it for DVD, VHS, and listening to cd’s. It ran four large Infinity speakers. Quality was excellent. I’m wanting to get another Onkyo and on the cheap side. I know nothing about receivers. Would this receiver work for me? I want something that will adequately run four large speakers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-V940-2-Channel-100-Watt-Channel-Receiver-Pristine-Condition-/310884105976?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item486222fef8
Thanks
Chad

How much power can the Infinity Speakers handle?
I ran a small receiver on my B&W towers when my pre-amp too a crap. Not enough power.

Good quality amp and pre-amp is the way to go. More power, happier speakers.

You can check out crutchfield they had all of the specs at one time. And listen to Bob that is a good receiver or avr if its not to much to fix.

And 100 watt per channel RMS will run your speakers but if this is only 2 channel don't get it. For a good home system you at least want 5 channels or better yet 7. And with the speakers you have you want a good avr and a powered sub. My whole GN is infinity kappas and I love them. A good match up would be marantz or a harmon kardon, which is who made your speakers.

What exactly went wrong with the Onkyo? I have a THX model from a few years ago and it stopped accepting HDMI connections. Turns out they overheat and the capacitors swell and leak. I pulled the HDMI board out and had a buddy of mine solder new caps on it. Just the larger ones though. It fixed the problem for about 3 years. It still works today, but once or twice a week it freaks out and I have to power cycle it. They finally got smart and put fans in the newer ones.

Right now all the buttons on the front are lit up. It will not put out any sound. It will not do anything. I'm guessing its close to 20 years old. I'm not sure if its worth fixing. I will contact Onkyo and see what they say. I never thought about that before.

Have you opened it up and looked at the fuses? Check that.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No I have not opened it up. Not even sure how or what to look for. I did call shop about 60 miles away that said will look at it for $40 and assess if it can be repaired and for how much. I don't get that way very often and I don't want to make a special trip so it may be a week or two before I get over there. I don't know what the speakers are rated for power. do you think the cheap receiver I posted in my original post is any good? I will have my old looked at before I purchase anything.
thanks
Chad

Well I opened it up and blew the dust out. The fuse is blown. I may have a couple of issues taking place. I'm going to try to find a fuse and replace it this afternoon. thanks so much for your help.

Sometimes the fuses just go after a few years of use. 9 times out of 10 replacing the fuse will take care of it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I want to say thank you for the help. The fuse I needed was a 6A/125V which I could not find locally. However I found a 5A/250V to try as a test. Google says it’s okay to go lower on the amp and higher on the voltage. I replaced the fuse and the receiver now works as it should. This has been down for a while and to hear it again is such a joy. I got two little ones taking late naps right now. As soon as they wake up I’m going rattle the windows in celebration. I’m so excited I cannot say thank you enough.
Thanks many more.
Blessings.
Chad

Right now all the buttons on the front are lit up. It will not put out any sound. It will not do anything. I'm guessing its close to 20 years old. I'm not sure if its worth fixing. I will contact Onkyo and see what they say. I never thought about that before.
check to see if yours has the monitor MD/Tape button, if it got pressed by accident you will not have any sound.