Any Rhode Islanders?

kh440

Jo Bu needs a refill!
Am looking into a job opportunity that would mean moving fom NC to Warwick RI, can anybody tell me something about the area beyond what's in the tourism brochures? (taxes, general cost of living, climate, etc) Thank you in advance

I THINK "MATTS87" IS FROM RI maybe he can tell you about it.

In General you will find New englanders strange as we find southern folks to be. I think warwick is south west of Providence. From what I remember it was a better area than Providence & surrounding communities.

As for the climate most of RI border the s coast & the gulf stream comes up. So the winters are milder near the coast than say Mass or NH.

The cost of living like any major metroplitan area can be high.
Lots of folks from Mass fled over the borders to RI & NH to escape the high costs. I think RI is on par with the nation.

Lots of strip clubs :D

If you like drag racing you have a good 2 hour ride to NED or maybe 3 to Leb valley NY & 5 hours to Raceway park NJ.

If I were you I would fly up on the next long weekend & check the area out 1st.

moving from NC to RI? are you planning on living in Wawick? i think its a nice state to live in. very democratic and union orientated. i would look into living elswhere than Warwick though. the houses may be cheaper but the its crowded and noisy with the airport. try looking into maybe my area or south in the kingston area, much nicer in my opinion. stay clear of Johnston and Cranston as both towns are in deep financial trouble. The weather here varies as much as the 4 seasons could. usually not too bad but its a mixed bag. i like the seasons changing, its something only a New Eglander can truely appreciate. i do hate the winter though. any more questions just ask!

That's just the thing, I don't know squat about where to look and where to avoid. Won't know until Monday if I even want to take the job. Would actually be working in Warwick, hoping to live within 10-15 miles if at all possible. Be flying up there Saturday to investigate then interview Monday, then who knows...If you wouldn't mind, once I get a clarer picture as to whether or not I do this I may be in touch for more info....Thanks!!:cool:

Well 10-15 miles will put you in range of a bunch of different towns, dont forget how small RI is! good luck on your interview and feel free to ask any more questions.

Housing values & prices have increased 50 - 150% within the past year in RI.

If you would prefer to live in a wooded area, look in the Coventry (moderate), East Greenwich (expensive) and Exeter (moderate to expensive) areas I used to live in West Warwick, stay away from there.

RI has tons of good bars and restaurants, a decent amount of live music, mostly around the Provdence area, 15 minutes from Warwick.

Most people drive like morons. Using your turn signal on the highway is considered a sign of weakness.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the input, spent the weekend up there and of course it was an unseasonal cold snap, and snow as I was waiting for my return flight -got out just in time, looked at the flight postings at Baltimore and everything north of Lagaurdia delayed/cancelled. Won't know until end of the week about the job though, may be back in touch...thanks again:cool: