Any questions for Jeff Beitzel?

72firebird

Well I happened to track down Jeff and got his personal email address from him. Is there any particular questions that you guys would like to know from him, such as the whether the TTA came with synthetic oil or not. I'll let the thread run for a couple days and then I'll email him with a list of questions.

72firebird said:
Well I happened to track down Jeff and got his personal email address from him. Is there any particular questions that you guys would like to know from him, such as the whether the TTA came with synthetic oil or not. I'll let the thread run for a couple days and then I'll email him with a list of questions.

yea, how much does he want to have him or Scott Kelly tune my car :D

Ask him if they had any extra powertrains laying around and what they did with them. Emblems or anything TTA specific too.

Jason

Who was the idiot that commissioned the cheap leather seats :D

Razor said:
Who was the idiot that commissioned the cheap leather seats :D

haha I think that is one for GM.

I'm gunna post the questions that TTA 1077 sent me since they're not really like personal questions and they might help spark some ideas from other people

1) Why they never serialized the build #s like with the GNX

2) Are there any more archive photos of the assembly at PAS besides the 2 that jim has? if so can I get some.

3) Were they realy picked at random? mine and Jan's are in sequence (1077 last3 vin are 443 Jans 1078 last 3 are 444)

I think I'll include something about the truth of the numbering on the transmission and the intercoolers, if there's any sort of pattern to them or if there originally was suppose to be a pattern.

Quiky One said:
Ask him if they had any extra powertrains laying around and what they did with them. Emblems or anything TTA specific too.

Jason

I ran into an ex employee at the Woodward Dream a few years ago who was relating stories of dumpsters full of parts, seats and what not at the end when they shut it down.
He said he grabbed a bunch of rear seats (I'm guessing these are the ones Curtis from Windstorm was selling) but he didn't have room for any of the fronts.
I didn't realy press him for more info.

Metal said:
I ran into an ex employee at the Woodward Dream a few years ago who was relating stories of dumpsters full of parts, seats and what not at the end when they shut it down.
He said he grabbed a bunch of rear seats (I'm guessing these are the ones Curtis from Windstorm was selling) but he didn't have room for any of the fronts.
I didn't realy press him for more info.
:frown: :eek: :mad:

Jason

They werent numbered more than likely due to the fact that if they actually sold in a fast fashion, tey were planning to make it a regular RPO. If that happened they would be lost in the shuffle anyhow

later
Jeremy

72firebird said:
haha I think that is one for GM.

I'm gunna post the questions that TTA 1077 sent me since they're not really like personal questions and they might help spark some ideas from other people

1) Why they never serialized the build #s like with the GNX

2) Are there any more archive photos of the assembly at PAS besides the 2 that jim has? if so can I get some.

3) Were they realy picked at random? mine and Jan's are in sequence (1077 last3 vin are 443 Jans 1078 last 3 are 444)

I think I'll include something about the truth of the numbering on the transmission and the intercoolers, if there's any sort of pattern to them or if there originally was suppose to be a pattern.

A couple of questions I have:
1. It is rumored the car was to have 17inch wheels but were dropped due to costs. If so, which wheel brand were they (i.e. Ronal R-15) and what color were they and how were they to be painted.

2. What was the real fly wheel HP and torque of the cars?

3. What other options were dropped from the cars to keep the bean counters happy?

4. Who did the tunning of the engines and how were the parameters of the stock chip decided on?

5. Why was the 6-speed manual transmission not used?

Thanks,
Dave

Alright well I emailed Jeff with these questions:

1. Did PAS have any extra powertrain or TTA specific parts left over after production? If so, What'd they do with them?

2. Why were the TTAs never serialized build #s like the GNX?

3. Are there any photos of the assembly at PAS besides for these 2 ( http://philly.turbobuicks.net//TTA/PAS/PAS2.jpg http://philly.turbobuicks.net//TTA/PAS/PAS3.jpg )?

4. Were the TTAs truely just picked at random from the GM production line?

5. It is rumored the car was to have 17inch wheels but were dropped due to costs. If so, which wheel brand were they (i.e. Ronal R-15) and what color were they and how were they to be painted?

6. What other options were dropped from the cars to keep the bean counters happy?

7. Who did the tuning of the engines and how were the parameters of the stock chip decided on?

8. Why was the 6-speed manual transmission not used?

9. Was the TTA delivered from the factory with synthetic or conventional oil?

and I got this in response:

1) no parts were left over

2) The Turbo T/A had a unique VIN to begine with, making it more collectible in the long run. All othe Firebirds/Formulas/Trans Ams had a VIn starting with 1G2 and the Turbo cars had a 1G5, if I remember correctly. Might be the other way around. I am getting old.

3) Not that I am aware of. We really tried to downplay the amount of work that went on outside GM.

4) No. Each car was scheduled as a Turbo when it started the line.

5) We never planned anything but the original wheel/tire combo.

6) None. We stuffed the car pretty full of options to start with.

7) We did the cal, between the Buick engine guys, Rich Anderson, and myself. The cal was set up to restrict torque to 350 ft-lbs on a particular dyno test so that the hydramatic guys would be happy. That was done on dyno with little intercooler effectiveness, so real world power is obviously higher. Increased boost or decreased backpressure will increase horsepower, but the trans won't live real long in severe application unless you do some work there too.

8) We looked at a subsequent release with a six-speed, but the demand just didn't seem to be there. Less than 15% of Trans Ams were ordered with manuals.

9) Mobil 1 was the factory fill. Best synthetic, plus great flash resistance in the turbo. First time at GM, and then put into every Vette since, I think.

Be happy to help in any way I can

I had heard that the 5 pilot cars all had a notebook with them were the tester would make notes on things that needed attention, I wonder if the notes or info on the pilot cars are still around. The one that I have is pilot car #1 and I often wodered if it was sent to alot of the magazines for the test reviews. I would be interested if Jeff could just shed a little light on what all happened to the pilot cars at PAS and after.
Thanks,
Charles

wow - that's sweet that he replied with the info!!! good work and thanks to him for replying to us!!!