any problems with Flipping the A/C Radio?

diomedes

Am working on something where I was thinking of installing a flip screen /radio in my car. I want the screen to more line of sight for a future project.

I was looking at the bracket behind the dash and it looks like a couple cuts and unbolting the screws, flip the bracket and I could put the A/C controls on the bottom and the radio on top.
it looks square, anything cant be this cut and dry, can it?

The metal that the radio and heater control mount to also gives the plastic/foam/vinyl of that part of the dash it's strength. It's one punched piece(mounting frame to bottom plate), and you'll find a couple things have to be screwed to the bottom as well. It's fun wiggling it out of the dash, after everything's unscrewed. I bent mine(slightly) at the bottom 90, to get it out through the front opening. If you can cut the side sections out that mount the radio and controls, flip them and braze everything back together, with all the metal to dash screwholes still lined up: you may be able to pull it off.

When I bought the car, it came with a trashed dash. Some moronic gorilla tried to steal the stereo with a pry bar instead of a nutdriver. Bent the metal support all to hell and back, hooved out the side of the stereo/heater control box and destroyed the plastic former that gives the dash it's shape in that location. The vinyl was pretty kinked, but not torn, so I was able to reshape everything from the inside with epoxy and aluminum, and replace the metal mounting frame with an undamaged one. Better(actually stronger) than new now!