Any Police Crown Victoria owners here?

JustABuick

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade the daily driver, it's currently an 01 Camry that's nearing the end of its life. I live in the rust belt, so I'm looking to avoid using my Sierra as a daily driver, so I can keep the tow vehicle rust free and lower mileage. I have had really great luck with Hondas, but they are not super exciting.

I have wanted an ex police Crown Victoria for a while now, and it looks like around 2010 and newer they even added a flex fuel option! Anyone on here have experience with these cars? Aside from looking for a lower mileage detective car, are there any major issues with them?

Kelly

I put quite a few miles on several Crown Vic's. The problems that I remembered as being common were with the alternator, ignition coils and electric fans. For the most part, they hold up pretty well under some heavy duty use. In its police configuration, they didn't perform much different than a civilian Crown Vic but with a few modifications they will move ok. The good thing is they have heavy duty cooling, oil cooler, trans cooler etc. I worked an event at a local drag strip and they let me make a pass in one. With all my gear in the car (wihich is a several hundred pounds) I managed to run the 1/4 mile in 16.1 seconds. It had 3.27 gears in the rear and it was electronically limited on the top end. I'm sure without all the extra equipment a mid 15 would be about right. We had one at our local track that ran in the 12's with a procharger and some additional mods. Our fleet averaged about 120K miles before they were considered for replacement.

Good luck, they should be plentiful.

I put quite a few miles on several Crown Vic's. The problems that I remembered as being common were with the alternator, ignition coils and electric fans. For the most part, they hold up pretty well under some heavy duty use. In its police configuration, they didn't perform much different than a civilian Crown Vic but with a few modifications they will move ok. The good thing is they have heavy duty cooling, oil cooler, trans cooler etc. I worked an event at a local drag strip and they let me make a pass in one. With all my gear in the car (wihich is a several hundred pounds) I managed to run the 1/4 mile in 16.1 seconds. It had 3.27 gears in the rear and it was electronically limited on the top end. I'm sure without all the extra equipment a mid 15 would be about right. We had one at our local track that ran in the 12's with a procharger and some additional mods. Our fleet averaged about 120K miles before they were considered for replacement.

Good luck, they should be plentiful.

I'll look out for those electrical issues, thanks! I've seen some surprisingly nice ones around, still. That's not too shabby for a car like that. I'd leave it stock, and I'd opt for the police P71 package, for the extra cooling, and the push bar is pretty cool too :D I'd hope to get some decent life out of one, but I'm not sure when they totally start to fall apart. I'm looking at something like this http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/5918465937.html

@Quick6'n'-K.C. has a maurader.. Similar I think..

Sweet! I really like the Marauders....definitely too nice to put through an Ohio winter, though.

I will say this, the 4.6L was pretty much bullet proof if they weren't overheated. You could run them hard from the day they were delivered and never worry about it. I'm pretty sure most of the electrical problems I mentioned were the result of large electrical loads and excessive idling. I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage if its less than 160K.

I will say this, the 4.6L was pretty much bullet proof if they weren't overheated. You could run them hard from the day they were delivered and never worry about it. I'm pretty sure most of the electrical problems I mentioned were the result of large electrical loads and excessive idling. I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage if its less than 160K.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. Were your cars police interceptors or civilian ones?

Are any where near Ohio? Should be a few coming to auction on January 3rd. I'll give you details if you're interested.

My son has an '04 he bought with 134k on it and he's put another 100k since. Thru all that, he's had to replace the headlight controller and intake manifold.

I've worked on a lot of retired and active Crown Vics and it seems like the State Trooper cars were better taken care of than the county cars here in Northern Va. Great cars in general.

Mileage isn't everything, check the engine hours on the dash

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've been looking at the Mercury Grand Marquis as a runabout for me.

I like the Crown Vic's and the Marauder's also. They all seem to be about the same.

I am going to sell my black 06 detective car soon. It is still loaded with all the gear, only problem is I live in Louisiana. Awesome cars.

Hey twild man use to work out of Prairieville, man some good friends out there. My car is a Interceptor P71.

Thanks guys. I'll keep looking now that it seems like they don't have any glaring weaknesses.
I am going to sell my black 06 detective car soon. It is still loaded with all the gear, only problem is I live in Louisiana. Awesome cars.

Dang....Sounds really slick. any pictures? That is a little bit of a haul, though

I was fleet director for 39 years at our local SO. Been using CV's since 1992 up to 2011 {last avail year} Anything past 03 used the same brakes/rotors ect. 03 was 1st year for the wider suspension. Throughout the years there were some interior cosmetic changes and a few mechanical changes {suspension mostly}. Latest models the aluminum upper/lower control arms were disposable should you need ball joints, {yes it sucked}. We ran some upwards of 200,000 miles with very little issues and only regular maintenance, {5000 mile oil changes} Even a 2011 should be reasonably priced nowadays. I hate that Ford discontinued the CV but it did not meet some newer safety standards and Ford wanted to push the Taurus AWD Interceptor with the mighty V6. So we went with Tahoe's.

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade the daily driver, it's currently an 01 Camry that's nearing the end of its life. I live in the rust belt, so I'm looking to avoid using my Sierra as a daily driver, so I can keep the tow vehicle rust free and lower mileage. I have had really great luck with Hondas, but they are not super exciting.

I have wanted an ex police Crown Victoria for a while now, and it looks like around 2010 and newer they even added a flex fuel option! Anyone on here have experience with these cars? Aside from looking for a lower mileage detective car, are there any major issues with them?

Kelly

My good friend has a 2012??interceptor. Great car. The only thing that it ever needed was front brakes. Whenever I used to go on vacation I would always rent a Crown Vic. Awesome ride and great gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk