Any one lose a 86 TTop GN? This on Ebay

Another detail that points to a re-VIN....the pic of the underside shows the 2004r crossmember mount on the driver side of the frame....this mount was not present on the frame until the 84 model year.

812-584-4277 is associated with the following Craigslist ad:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/3473984288.html

John Deere Tractor - $8950 (Lawrenceburg In.)

Date:2012-12-12, 3:34PM EST
Reply to: see below

1997 John Deere Model 5300....Mechanicly great....Came off of a college campus...Bucket contros.....Heated cabs...
Curtis custom cab
all lights and flashers work
28 inch rear wheels 16-9 tires
Tires in good condition
low low hours-2500
power steering
roll bar
dual hydrolic connectors...........Call 812-584-4277 with questions and directions

tractor.jpg

The pictures of the tractor from the Craigslist ad were taken in front of:

Beer's Auto Sales
1217 W Eads Parkway
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
(812) 537-0585
(812) 926-1283

Here is a photo of Beers Auto Sales building I found on google. (Note: Vintage signs in both photos)

beers.jpg

A quick cached (old info) search of (812) 584-4277 shows the number is associated with Beers Auto Sales as well

old number.jpg

For information call 812-584-4277 and ask for JAMES...make sure you ask for JAMES please. I can help with setting up the shipping and payment can be done through a friends dealership or however you feel comfortable.

Beers Auto Sales must be the "friends dealership" mentioned in the eBay ad.

follow-up...just called (812) 584-4277 after hours and inquired about the tractor ad on Craigslist to see if "James" would answer.

turned out a guy named "Gary" answered the phone and proceeded to answer questions about the tractor.

I'm guessing it was Gary N Beers, the owner of Beers Auto Sales.

either way even if this Gary guy is simply helping his buddy "James" sell the car by letting him use his phone, dealership or what the fuck ever,
then he's gotta know his buddy is selling a fucking re-plated GN. I mean the guy sells cars for a living, how could he not?

Makes me wonder how many other stolen cars this Gary guy has "helped" sell to unsuspecting buyers.

Sounds like a bunch of shady shit too me.

Lawrenceburg is like 2 hours from me in Indy. I'd go there to check this out but I fear being shot if I poke around too much. Also, it makes more sense for someone in the Cincinnati area to take a look, since Lawrenceburg is really close to Cincy.

I SENT HIM A MESSAGE STATING : YOUR CAR IS A STOLEN REVIN, NO WAY ITS AN 81 . HIS REPLY : I BOUGHT IT AT A POLICE AUCTION SO I KNOW IT'S NOT STOLEN . OH REALLY ..... I SENT HIM ANOTHER MESSAGE : SO YOUR AD'S STATES THAT THE CAR WAS GIVEN TO YOU ...SO IT'S BULLSHIT ALL BULLSHIT . GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SCAM . SHADY GUY WONT TELL THE TRUTH .

I'm sure "James" doesn't even exist...

prob just this Gary guy trying to be slick and covering his tracks...

"I didn't know it was a re-vin! I was just helping my friend "James" sell his car...I swear" :rolleyes:

Thats what those SOB do to these cars and many others. Ive seen a few GNs at the police impound in the past that were cut up and sold to the local wreckers. They had malibu's, cutlass, regals, 60s, 70s, and 80s cars all in good shape and all coming from the police auctions. I bought a very clean 78 malibu from a guy that owned a muffler shop, i took the car home and already started tearing into the dash to replace it with a the later style dash with the speakers on the sides, well when i tore the old dash out i noticed that the vin plate was riveted with regular rivets and the cowl tag didnt mach.
I took the car back for my money but didnt want to give it back.He told me that he purchased the car from that junk yard that has all the nice cars, long story short they are out of business. Got my money and bought a sweet 79 that eventually got stolen when living in the city.
It seems to be a never ending cycle and we are the ones paying for it.

Based on that carfax, it has been through an auto auction since the record notations went from "vehicle color noted as tan" to "vehicle color noted as black". So the current owner is probably not responsible for the re-vin. If the indiana DMV gave a crap about it, they could probably go back through the owner history on that vin and with some questioning, could figure out who did the swap job. This is assuming that the guilty party put the title in their name and didn't sell it on an open title. Either way, finding the original vin on the car is a very large part of the puzzle.

Will keep this one going, SEVERAL parties are being looked at, at this time.

The GN has been recovered by the proper authorities...stolen out of Indianapolis earlier last year.

696 said:
The GN has been recovered by the proper authorities...stolen out of Indianapolis earlier last year.

Wow, this car really was stolen then? That's awesome how everyone came together and solved the mystery before it got sold and disappeared. Congrats to everyone who was involved in this process.

Doubt it will make the papers or headlines but will pass on the info that I can.

More info, 1st this GN was stolen in June 2011 (not 2012). Found out the owner of this car lives in Florida. He's the original owner, the car had 35,000 miles. He said he was on a Hot Rod Power Tour and they went to Indy to tour the motor speedway and he got to drive the car on the track. He got up the next morning at the hotel and the car was gone. Insurance has paid him $25,000 but he is going to try to buy the car back from them. He was ecstatic that the car was found.